MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:34 am

Post by richard jones

I have recently advertised(and sold some)some geniuine magazines on here described as "Real Steel".I always took the term real steel to describe actual,geniuine firearm parts be they magazines,stocks,butts or any other parts that are not replica,pfc,repro etc.

Anyway i sold a couple of magazines and have just had a nice email of one of the buyers saying he is not at all happy with the magazine as its not real steel Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_eek Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_eek Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_eek .To be honest i have never ever checked a geniuine mag to see what material it was made of.
Turns out the guy wants to blue it-why i dont know as all M16 mags ive ever had have always been the grey parkarised finish.

Obviously i dont like anyone to not be happy with anything i sell and have replied to the guy so i suppose the next step is he will want a refund or whatever as he claims the mag was not as advertised-it was advertised as "REAL STEEL"

Cheers
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:35 am

Post by Doc

Richard, you are correct in that "real steel" refers to something off a genuine firearm , however if your buyer is not quite familiar with the term then he may have thought the item was made from real steel as apposed to some zinc alloy or whatever , however if your mag was from a firearm then it is indeed "real steel" even if it is made from alluminium as lots of M16 AR15 mags are .

Hope this helps

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:36 am

Post by richard jones

Thanks DOC.I guess it could be a bit confusing and if he wants a refund i will of course do that but it messes me about a bit Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_sad
Buyer never asked any questions before buying it or explained what he was going to do with it just bought it outright.
Waiting for his reply.

This is the for sale post-

http://mp40modelguns.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1708
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 am

Post by Doc

The 30 round one is more than likely alloy as the only steel ones I have seen are modelgun ones (although madmike is the AR expert)

The 20 could well be steel but at £12 is a flipping bargain as I know some Vietnam re-enactors are crying out for these ...supposed to be like hens teeth .

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 am

Post by richard jones

Both the 20rd and 30rd have been sent out and were geniuine US Army issue.I never checked to see what they were made of as to me it makes no difference if they are steel or alloy just the fact they are geniuine Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 am

Post by Spencerman

I bought the 30 round one, and was happy with it. Now I just need to modify it to fit my marushin. And just for the record, the term real steel does indeed refer to real firearm parts reguardless of the actual material they are made out of, a real steel Glock frame would still be a polymer, as I believe Doc has already mentioned. It can be a little confusing if you have not been around guns, and so especially in the uk where real steel guns themselfs are like hens teeth! Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_cry
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:41 am

Post by richard jones

Glad to see your mag arrived safely and at least one person is happy Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_lol

Cheers Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 am

Post by MadMike

Hello Stinger! Real AR-15 magazines are not too hard to get, especially if they are used Army surplus. If you like I can get you 30 rd magazines. The 20 rd magazines are a little harder to obtain as they were phased out in the mid 1980s.

The US Army issue magazines were all made out of aluminum, 20 and 30 rd. I do not know about other materials used. But there are a lot of different magazines available on the gun market today, some are even made out of special plastic (The Canadians use them with their Diemaco "AR-15s").

If you compare a real 20 rd magazine to the Marushin one you will realize how heavy the Marushin steel magazine is. I guess that was the reason for the "small" .223 cartridge and the aluminum magazine - soldiers should be able to carry more ammo.

Ah DOC, I am not the AR-15 expert at all. I have never fired a real one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?   Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone please explain the term "Real Steel"?
Page 1 of 1