MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cleaning Components after Firing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11070
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Cleaning Components after Firing Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

Post by ricks

When a black powder weapon is torn down, some shooters soak virtually everything metal and whatever isn't considered stock or handgrip furniture. Is that appropriate with modelguns, or is it a matter of excess?
As pervasive as the phosphorous fumes can be, it seems like it might be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am

Hiya Rick,

I've learned, to my cost, that certainly Steel model gun parts benefit from a thorough cleaning and a really good soak in decent Gun Oil after every use.
I now store my Steel guns well oiled up but wipe all the excess off before attemting to fire them.

Storing them virtually dry i.e. with just a smear of oil on the steel led to rust problems very quickly indeed.

Firing the model gun with too much oil about only leads to the oil "gumming" up causing cartridges to stick in detonator chambers and loads of dirty soot and crap to clean up afterwards.

Plastic and ABS models won't rust at least Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_wink so I believe a little Silicone Oil is fine after a thorough cleaning.
Zinc Alloy will corrode badly and if anything I tend to give everything a thorough dousing in Gun Oil before storing but wipe the excess off before firing.
I'm sorry I misunderstood your "figure of speech" my friend Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_redface Reading back through it, my reply does come over quite rudely, I meant to say that hopefully all this info will stay on here for future ref whenever you need it. I've printed off some Hints and Tips before now so they don't get lost Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_lol

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 am

Post by ricks

Thanks Cerwyn,
Is there any reason that parts can't be submerged in water for the cleaning, as long as they are dried properly and oiled?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Rick,

I'd be interested to hear what the other guys think about this one too...

There's no problem immersing cartridges and their component parts in hot soapy water, likewise Detonator Chambers and pins. I do just that all the time using the Ultrasonic cleaner... but everythinghas to be dried completely and oiled where appropriate.

I have also run hot water from a tap (faucet) through pistol barrels and to wash det. pins that I couldn't remove. My Luger and Mauser M712 aretwo in particular. Both of these models were new and have only been fired a few times so there wasn't a lot of dirt to remove anyway. I dried them off with a hairdryer.

As for other gun components like barrels and bolts etc, I'd guess that hot soapy water would be no problem to wash the dirt off as long as everything is thoroughly dried and oiled afterwards.

I'm slightly unsure about leaving steel parts in water for long, rust is a killer! But if every trace of water is dried off and that the water used is good and hot it might well be ok?

I would like to hear what the other guys think, what do they do?

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am

Post by Mark

I often rinse my detonators etc in hot water, baking soda and vinegar after they have soaked for a while i run them under hot tap water and dry them with a hair drier. This usually controls the rust even without using oil on steel/zinc etc. parts.

I really like your tips and suggestions keep em coming!

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am

Hiya Mark,

The use of Baking Soda and Vinegar is mentioned on here often.
I have no idea how you guys use it though Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_redface !

Is there any chance you might write up a description please how this method is done?

How much Baking Soda? How much Vinegar, which Vinegar? Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_lol

Thanks!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am

Post by Mark

Cerwyn,

1. Obtain a bowl or a pan that is roughly the size or larger of the parts that you intend to clean.

2. fill it half way (or just enough to cover the parts) with hot tap water.

3. Obtain some plain white (distilled is preferred although not really necessary) cooking vinegar and add some to the hot water. Plain white vinegar should be available locally in local groceries etc.

4. Obtain some Baking soda (baking powder/sodium bicarb) again, this should be available locally at the groceries. (I use the "Arm&Hammer" brand)Now, take a small amount of the baking soda (a "pinch" will do) and drop it into the water/vinegar mix. This will cause the vinegar/hot water to foam and expand. So try to do this in a container that is tall enough to contain any extra spill over.

Try it i think that you will like it Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_biggrin

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

Post by Mark

cerwyn wrote:
Thanks Mark,
That's answered my curiosity Wink
I will try this method but is it OK to use on ABS parts?
Cerwyn

I have successfully used this baking soda/hot water/vinegar solution on all of my modelguns ABS/HW/Zinc/Steel. None of these have been affected in the least by this solution. Although, i must stress the importance of rinsing/ drying off all parts of a modelgun after they have been in this or any water. These models seem to rust/corrode really fast.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:43 am

Post by figaro

As an aside, when i shoot my black powder guns, which is hardly ever anymore, I strip and clean them with water and dish washing detergent, then thoroughly dry and oil them when done.
Best way to do it, keeps the guns firing.
JJ.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

Post by ricks

My dilemma may be shared by others: Sometimes I don't have a lot of "play time." Is there a really quick way to clean these models?
I love my collection, but I'm reluctant to fire them, because I hate the mess & the sometimes-tedious cleanup & simply have too little time to do it all.
Other than the proficiency we gain with practice, can we do a simple "dip & dry" that would speed up the process?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:44 am

ricks wrote:
My dilemma may be shared by others: Sometimes I don't have a lot of "play time." Is there a really quick way to clean these models?
I love my collection, but I'm reluctant to fire them, because I hate the mess & the sometimes-tedious cleanup & simply have too little time to do it all.
Other than the proficiency we gain with practice, can we do a simple "dip & dry" that would speed up the process?
Hi Rick,
Exactly the same dilemma I have here Rolling Eyes All that time spent loading up and preparing then 2-3 seconds later your mag's empty
Proificiency gained with practice definately helps a lot. Spending a couple of hours loading as many cartridges as you can helps too, at least when you do fire, you've plenty of them.
For cleaning cartridges, the best "Quick Clean" for me is the Ultrasonic Cleaner and Lyman Polisher.
As for the gun, it's down to practice I think, the more times you strip it, the easier and faster it gets but it's still a time consuming but essential job :?
Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 am

Post by ricks

Thanks, Cerwyn
I guess there's no proverbial "magic wand" for the dirty work Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_sad
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 am

I guess not Rick, if only there was!

Cartridges, Detonator Chambers and Pins really have to be cleaned after every session, you shouldn't really let them stand as they will corrode pretty fast.

If you're in a real hurry you could always give the magazine, mag well and bolt a good spray with some gun oil or similar, let that soak in and strip it and clean it properly next day Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_biggrin

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 am

Post by ricks

Thanks again, Cerwyn
The "next day" tip is encouraging.
It's a shame someone doesn't come up with a noncorrosive cap (with a nice flash for the forward venting models, of course). I'm sure a few of us would be interested. It's frustrating to have nice stuff that you can't use unless you have the time to do the obligatory follow-up.
I remember years ago someone telling me about a solution of some sort that he would immerse his black powder revolver in after using it. He'd then give it a minimal swabbing & blow the parts dry with a hair dryer. Unfortunately, it sounds like that "soak & dry" technique may have been an exaggeration.
Take care & thanks to all for your hints (& patience)...
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 am

Just shows you how realistic these modelguns are doesn't it? Real Steel ones need cleaning so modelguns do also Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_wink

Someone would make a fortune with a non-corrosive, dirtfree, muzzleflashing cap... maybe some day eh? Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_biggrin

Cerwyn
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning Components after Firing   Cleaning Components after Firing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Components after Firing
Page 1 of 1