MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Silicone Oils....?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Silicone Oils....? Empty
PostSubject: Silicone Oils....?   Silicone Oils....? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 am

Which Oil to buy?

Silicone Oils are mentioned on this forum regularly and used to lubricate modelguns an cartridge internals alike.

I've a variety of models made of steel, zinc alloys and abs and want to ensure I use the correct oils to lubricate them.

I use Browning Leger Gun Oil on my steel and zinc models, but don't think it could be the correct type to use on plastics.

I've just bought some Abbey Silicone Gun Oil from an Airsoft retailer. Reading the instructions on the back of the can, it tells me it's to be used on the EXTERIOR of the gun to repel moisture, dust and fingerprints...
DO NOT use as a metal to metal lubricant...

Have I just wasted my cash?

Which brand and type of Silicone Gun Oil do you lads use for your modelguns please?

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Silicone Oils....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silicone Oils....?   Silicone Oils....? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm not a real gun expert but I think that silicone oil doesn’t have the lubrication properties for real firearms (with lost of high forces and heat).

But for modelguns I think it's a trade off between light lubrication working ok and heavy lubrication slowing the cycling down. I would have thought that silicone oil should be ok and with it being inert it shouldn't attack plastics.

I usually use 3 in 1 oil which seems to be ok for my zinc guns (as long as I don’t put too much on)

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Silicone Oils....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silicone Oils....?   Silicone Oils....? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks 'ace, I'm no expert with real guns either and can only go by what I'm told. Apparently "proper" gun oils are viscous enough to maintain a film of oil between steel surfaces and so lubricate as intended.

Zinc alloys are, apparently, more porous so the same oil can seep into the metal breaking up that viscosity and film of oil.
A Silicone oil performs better... or so I was told...

The can, on the other hand says this Silicone Oil's not for metal to metal Rolling Eyes

I'll try it on my abs an HW models only.

Which brands or types of Silicone Oils do other members use on their guns and in their cartridges please ?

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kharris
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 7
Location / Country : California USA
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Silicone Oils....? Empty
PostSubject: Oil used to lub model guns.   Silicone Oils....? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I use Air Tool Oil . it is very light and thin . i use it to lube my guns along with a light gun grease . and i use air tool oil on the internal parts of the Shells and the Detonator Pin . On ABS , Zinc or Steel Models . But I always use a light grease on the Bolt , the bolt face and the deto chamber .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Silicone Oils....? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silicone Oils....?   Silicone Oils....? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silicone Oils....?
Page 1 of 1