MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Terminator 2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by Spencerman

I know that guns in movies has been discussed here before, but I am curious about one scene in particular from the movie Terminator 2.

The scene that I refer to is the one where John Connor is running away from the cop, and then he encounters the Terminator. Terminator pulls out a shotgun so John Connor turns around and runs the other way, only to be confronted once again by Robert Patrick unholstering his Beretta 92F. What to do???

Anyway, what I want to know is what sort of Beretta 92F is Robert Patrick using?

Anyone who has seen the original cut of the movie, and taken notice of this, would know that the gun shots are particularly quiet. If you have it on dvd, then the shots have been changed to make them louder, but if you were to watch say, an old pirate version, you would see what I mean.

It is almost comparable to the noise of a pfc replica model gun as opposed to a blank round.

I wondered if this may have something to do with the environment within wich they were filming, close corridors where a loud bang would be deafening, or if it was purely down to the boom guys? Maybe the type of guns used?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by figaro

99.99% you are not hearing the sound of the actual blank that was recorded on set used in the final film, especially not on a multi million dollar film like "T2" -- these films go through months of post production, and the sound is layered from multiple elements, library effects and often specially rerecorded effects.
Example: Library elements, whoosh, whistle ricochet and rifle report.
Sometimes layered with the sound on actual firearm at an actual private range rented especially for the movie.
This sounds complex, but it is done for every single effect in an action movie, and for "studio" size pictures like T2, the process is in the millions of dollars and can take months with a small army of technicians.
James cameron is one of the biggest sticklers for accuracy and innovation and you can pretty much guarantee he signed off on every sound effect used in the movie, that's what makes his pictures just that bit better than a lot of others.
You are not hearing the actual blank discharge, just like when a fight scene happens you are not hearing punches land, of swords whooshing.
T2 has been rereleased three or four times on DVD, it is completely possible they changed the sound effects, or remixed a track or two.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Post by Spencerman

Remixing for dvd, maybe that is why, I had just assumed that they were unhappy that it wasnt a more macho bang. It still had a very almost silenced little pip pip to it as he fired it, a rather strange sound for a normal handgun. Incidentally, I have just ordered a copy of the Last Sentinel, just waiting for it to arrive. I hope that has plenty of macho bangs. Terminator 2 Icon_wink Looking forward to seeing the Butcher. That must be due for a release soon isnt it?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Post by figaro

Thanks Spencerman.

"Last Sentinel", is Ok, very low budget Sci-fi channel fare.
I think "Alien Agent", also Sci-fi channel, is coming out next on DVD in the US, soon, not exactly sure.
They are the last of the straight to D2DVd style movies I want to make, it's too disappointing, there is a saying on low budget sets, it's "Gone with Wind" in the morning and "Dukes of Hazard" by the afternoon. Without money or time it's just very hard work for questionable results.

Returning to stunt arranging ("Beowulf") for a while allowed me the financial freedom to up my game, I recommend my more recent work:
"Fifth Commandment" is a Mar '08, US theatrical release (my first).
Then "The Butcher" later in the year, it is still currently on it's festival run.

I am presently shooting a movie called "Charlie Valentine" which will be my best yet.

But thank you for ordering my film, hope you dig the gunshots, and can pretend to be 14 years old again for an hour and a half.

JJ.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Post by Spencerman

Hey, you are talking to someone who lists in his top fave films the Trancers movies! Terminator 2 Icon_lol
Sponsored content

Terminator 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator 2   Terminator 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terminator 2
Page 1 of 1