MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WD40 or Silicone Oil?

Go down 
+2
maximoto53
Cerwyn
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11070
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:41 am

Post by Mark

Oh yah, the grease works great whether it is silicone base or just simple gun grease and, as you note the detonator will stay cleaner as the grease seems to help combustion of the phosphorus or something like that. The grease helps combat friction and lessens the stress on the O-rings as they don't have to drag across the inner walls of the cartridge dry. Grease might help the 5mm O-rings on the Ingram and the Tanaka 5mm cartridges too and they might not tear as much as the dry ones do.

You really cannot beat the MGC series 70 .45's as you can see in my video, the MGC Combat Commander (HW) works great and it actually feels like a .22 when i fire it. The more that i fire these HW modelguns the more that i enjoy them over the ABS models. Collecting cartridges seems to be my hobby lately as i am seemingly just collecting them now and not as many modelguns as i used to collect. A person could if they wanted, could just collect modelgun cartridges and have several variants in their collections.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:42 am

Post by rizzo

Are we talking about thick grease? Not just silicone oil?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:44 am

Post by Claymore

Yeah rizzo its grease out of a tube so thick stuff not spray can, tried the spray and not very good for the piston.

I got my grease from maplin about £2.99 a tube i have not been able to find tubs of it unfortunaly.

It seems to work great and is not as dirty as using oil which is great as the gun will function a lot better.

The grease for airsoft cogs etc would be fine i think.
Back to top Go down
maximoto53

Number of posts : 1
Location / Country : philippines
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: effects   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 1:40 pm

if i use wd 40 once on a stock jg md, what will happen to the barrel, hop-up and hi cap mag internals? please reply cause im a new airsofter and i kinda used wd 40 cause i thought it would clean well until i saw this forum. please reply
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello maximoto, welcome to the forum Very Happy

As far as cap-firing modelguns are concerned, WD40 is usually best avoided. Plastics and Rubber can deteriorate if it is used. Opinion is that the propellant and other chemicals mixed in WD40 do the damage eventually.
Purpose made Silicone Gun Oil is claimed to clean, lubricate and repel moisture from all types of guns, plastic, zinc alloy, steel etc.

For general cleaning of barrels, you only need a very small drop of Silicone Oil (the thicker type sold in Dropper bottles) applied to a patch and pushed through the barrel with the cleaning rod.
Make sure your hop-up rubber is backed right off or the rod may damage it.
Magazines will either be plastic or metal, either way the Hi Caps have a spring and tensioning mechanism inside. Too much oil can clog everything up, so only use Aerosol Silicone Oil very sparingly and not too often.

WD40 can be used on Detonator Pins and in Chambers to create extra smoke when firing PFC cap firing modelguns but this cannot be achieved with Airsoft type guns.

I hope this helps you some

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 164
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 4:14 pm

I ask in this old thread just for the sake of it. I know from my own experiance that WD40 WILL destroy your model gun. However at the moment I dont have accsess to silicone spray.

However I have a can of Lithium grease spray. You guys think that could work or will it have the same effect as WD40?

Thanks!

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 11:05 am

How thick does the Lithium grease become once it's been sprayed onto a surface? I've used lithium grease straight from a tin or tube for "heavy duty" jobs but not on small intricate parts as found in modelguns.

Silicone grease works well when lubricating cartridge 0 rings. Silicone oil is great for lubricating plastics and 0 rings. 
Gun oil would be well suited to lubricate, clean and protect metal surfaces and parts but like all lubricants use it sparingly.

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 12:10 pm

Thank you for this important thread.

I have posted this on another thread about a MGC HW model, but it sure does belong here:

Tomio from SHOEI in Japan told me what the extra instruction sheet is saying:

Please note

Use MGC Teflik for maintenance...
Teflon® blended lubricating spray

Many of our products use plastics such as ABS and polycarbonate.
If you apply metal oil to these materials, it will not only melt or crack the surface, but it will also attack the inside deeply and may even cause it to fall apart.

Be sure to use MGC Teflic for maintenance. With TEFLIC, you can use it with confidence without such troubles.

Machine oil cannot be used.

Never use oil for metals, including motor oil, sewing machine oil, spray-type lubricants such as CRC (rust remover/lubricating spray sold in Japan), and rust/stain removers.

Please note that we may not be held responsible for repairs or replacements of malfunctions caused by the use of these oils.

Thank you, Tomio!

We had discussed before that some oils and lubricants may damage the already brittle HW plastic.

WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 YvwoJ1m
Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 2:25 pm

Alright! Thanks for clearing that up. Luckily I had a spare can of airsoft silicone spray I can use for now.
But now the question is where do I find some Teflic? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 2:39 pm

There is a range of Teflon based lubricants about but I can't find references to Teflic anywhere.

I wonder if forum member shazhib can get you some from Japan?

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 2:41 pm

If it was a MGC brand it will most likely no longer be available. But i am quite sure that MGC didn't produce this Teflon spray themselves ...
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 118
Location / Country : Cambs, UK
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 3:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Good find might work! I am just getting a little worried, all of the pictures show using the spray on metall objects where most modelguns are plastic ..

Browning likes this post

Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 8:26 am

Hi

I heard a reason WD is bad for plastic is actually it contains bit of a Thinner kind ingredient which destroy plastic in a period of time.

My suggestion is, do not apply oil, grease, silicon or whatever to plastic or zinc parts. Maybe little of silicon to clean a surface, but not much. Use machine oil (not spray, but old school bottle type) onto a steel parts (mags, ejectors, extractors). But again, never apply excessively, just wipe a surface to have a thin layer.

S

MadMike and claymore like this post

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 am

Sorry just to make sure I understand correctly.
So what you are saying is mostly use just water while cleaning? And use small use of silicone for surface and for steel parts use machine oil?
Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2023 12:00 pm

Yes, that is how I maintain my collection.
After I fired with the caps, I usually just soak the parts and rounds into warm water (running water for a barrel), that is good enough to get rid of any residual chemicals from firing.
And just apply machine oil a bit on to the steel made parts.

Those chemicals used for the real firearms seems too strong to maintain a condition.

S

MadMike and Sommarkatze like this post

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Alright! Great thank you so much for clearing that up for me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WD40 or Silicone Oil?   WD40 or Silicone Oil? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WD40 or Silicone Oil?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2