MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Empty
PostSubject: Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here...   Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 am

Post by Claymore...

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshfrontright

HUDSON PPSH

Out of the box the first thing you note is the weight of this gun, its heavy, the drum mag alone weighs 2lbs and that’s unloaded, the gun itself weighs in at around 7lbs so its a heavy gun.
The PPSH is an all metal gun, Obviously at this weight and the stock is full wood and solid, all the metal is a matt black and has a bit of a textured feel to it. The barrel is unfortunately blocked and also has no gas bypass which is a real shame as the gas bypass systems work really well.
Never having held a real PPSH in the flesh I have no idea how accurate this model is, but from pics I have seen its pretty spot on. The PPSH takes a 7.62mm round and the drum will hold 42 rounds the rounds are cp type and have the usual Hudson inners which have a small detonator pin and a hole through the middle, I bin these inners and change them for MGC as I just don’t get on with them for 2 reasons.
1st the small detonator pin on the inner allows the cap to stick to the piston and prevent blowback
2nd the hole through the middle can allow too much gas out which prevents efficient blowback
I know some people get on with these inners no problem and surprisingly my Sten works great with them but nothing else.

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshtopview
The ejection port is right on the top of the receiver so the rounds are ejected straight up which means it is more than likely a few of them will fall on your head and shoulders. The PPSH is semi and full auto and the selector switch is in front of the trigger, to use it you pull the lever down and push it forward for full auto or pull it rearward for semi, I always wondered looking at pics of the gun what the lever in front of the trigger was, it looked like a double trigger system but its not it’s the change lever.
The PPSH does have a safety and its positioned on the cocking handle of the bolt, it’s a simple push and pull system push the switch towards the gun for safe and pull back for fire.
The drum mag is simple to load same as the MGC Thompson if you have one, you take the back plate off the drum and simply place the rounds inside the drum head up, then wind the spring located in the middle of the drum replace the back plate and you are ready to go. The drum is sectioned off into 4 sections each holding 10 rounds but you can usually get another 2 in the first section as the spring pushes the rounds up to the feed ramp, so a total of 42, you can put less in but each section needs 10 rounds otherwise they will fall over and obviously jam but you can leave section’s empty if you want.
To place the drum on the gun is extremely simple, you simply push the drum up into its slot and it locks into place no force needed like some models. The mag release switch is a lever positioned on the bottom of the mag housing, to release the mag pull the lever down and the mag will drop out, careful though as the mag is heavy and if you are not ready the mag will drop heavily on to the floor. This lever can be in the down or up position when putting the drum on just make sure to push the lever up to secure the drum in place.

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshselectlever
So how does it fire, it had worried me that no site I had visited had any info or vid on this model (the AK being another) and that makes you think maybe that’s because it does not work very well especially as it is a Hudson which have a reputation of being excellent models in the accuracy and looks stakes but not the best for firing. I had been informed though that this model was working great, so out of the box it came a quick squirt of oil a full drum and I was ready to go, I was really looking forward to firing this gun and had been warned to watch the rounds as they would come rocketing out and hit the ceiling. So precautions taken and I pulled the trigger, jam, OK happens clear the jam go again, fired the round the round topples out of the ejection port and the gun jams. This goes on and on sometimes I string of maybe 3 or 4 rounds but jam after jam and the rounds when they fired just about had the energy to fall out of the ejection port.
Anyway all the usual checks of rounds bolt detonator pin etc all seemed fine, 3 drums later and now it does not want to feed, annoyed, you bet. So strip the gun and check the gun, first the bolt and straight away there is the problem, the PPSH bolt has 2 small prongs that strip and feed the rounds the right hand prong had broken off so I needed a new one.
A few weeks later and a new bolt arrived and I tried again, jam, jam, fire a few, jam and stop feeding another bolt broke for the exact same reason, not good and I am not happy the Hudson is an expensive model to buy and you do expect the damn thing to work. So what do I do now another bolt, more than likely it will break again so I need a better bolt but how?
Well fortunately I live near another member of this forum Kickback who has already helped me out with a few other models, so around to his with the PPSH and he takes a look at the bolt, “no problem mate sure I can work something out, might take a while though”. Well time is not a problem as long as it can be fixed, so I expect to get a call in weeks maybe months, eh! No 2 days later kickback calls, “all done and the guns working great”, I am to say the least amazed I expected a lot of trial and error and that I thought would take time so 2 days that’s quick.
So what did kickback do and does it work, well he replaced the 2 feed prongs with a steel insert and he made a custom extractor (which considering he did not have the original to work from as that was elsewhere is amazing) and that was it. The steel insert was an obvious improvement but the extractor I had not realised was also causing a problem. The original drops too low and so when it hits the round it does not just slip over the rim but smashes into it and really dents and buckles the rim, this must cause a problem when it comes the efficient blowback and extraction. So Kickbacks is shorter and slips over the rim fine no dents caused and obvious improvement in blowback and extraction.

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshboltcomparison
Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshnewinsert
So after these improvements how does it work, stormin that’s how both burst fire and full auto and the rounds come flying out with force and now do hit the ceiling, I have to give Kickback a huge thank you on this as the improvements he has done have turned this gun into the model it should have been out of the box. The rate of fire is pretty high and as said the rounds do come out with force and go straight up, the extractor now no longer damages the rounds however the ejector does.
Now the gun as I said works really well now but the rounds at the moment let it down this is because they were all very damaged from the previous extractor and from the ejector and yet even with the rims damaged as much as they are the gun still fires well, testimony to kickbacks efforts. Now the old extractor bent the rim but the ejector takes chunks out of the rims and slowly destroys rounds so this is an area that needs to be looked at to make the model perfect.
The PPSH makes a good noise the high rate of fire helps with this but it is not as loud as some other metal models and by that I mean the noise of the action not the cap, some models have a great sound come from the action of the bolt, the Sten for instance, now the PPSH sounds good but a little more noise would be better.
One thing you cannot do if you want to fire the gun is hold the drum mag to support the weapon when firing as this pushes the drum up and causes the rounds to misfeed and jam.

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here... Ppshopenview
Dismantling the PPSH is simple, this has to be one of the easier models to clean and access to the bolt is amazingly easy. You simple push the top rear of the receiver (which is sprung) and the top of the receiver comes free from the lower, the top receiver and barrel are hinged to the lower so move in unison, once moved you have access to the bolt, super simple, pull the bolt backwards raise it up and out it comes and the inside of the gun and the bolt can be cleaned, really easy. The chamber is a bit longer to access but easy enough, take the heat shield off the barrel held in by three bolts, remove the 2 hinge pins held in place by C clips then undo the 2 screws holding the chamber in and that’s it so this model is one of the easiest to maintain.
So is the ppsh worth buying, I would say yes I did not think so straight away but with the repairs done its now worth every penny. There are older models of this gun, mine is a new model and there may be differences but I don’t know what they would be, as with all Hudson’s it’s a great looking gun and heavy one and now fires great as well. Its not cheap to buy and keep in mind the bolt problems and the extractor and the changes you need to make if you spend your money on one, this may not be necessary for everyone but would be a good upgrade anyway. You can see from the vid how well this model fires now and consider that the rounds I have are knackered around the rims, I had 35 rounds that still had rims but at least 10 of those have chunks missing so to still fire as well as it does says a lot and I am very happy with my improved ppsh, thanks Kickback.
One note on the vid the sound and quality are not as good as the original vid taken, that’s the price of free video hosting so take that into consideration when watching.
Sorry for the size of the some of the pics i dont seem to be able to get a happy balance they either come out to big or to small, i will keep playing and see if i can get it right but these will have to do for now.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v627/claymore/?action=view¤t=ppsh.flv
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net

Hudson PPSh41 ... Reviews... Read & Post your Reviews here...
Page 1 of 1