MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blank Firers & VCRA

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wfalenta
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
wfalenta

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : Preston, Lancashire, UK
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Blank Firers & VCRA Empty
PostSubject: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I've read the VCR bill and tried to understand it, but it just doesn't state clearly whether blank firing guns are legal to sell privately.
I know we cant buy one unless its painted brightly, and the seller has to be a registered firearms dealer with a RFD certificate, and I know that owning a blank firer from before october 2007 is ok, but I have a collection of a few and was thinking about selling one privately, but I'm not sure if this would be in breech of the VCR legislation if I was to advertise it on a website or forum....?

Could anyone shed any light on this please?

Any lawyers in the house...???
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11074
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm going to assume now that a Blank Firer is regarded in exactly the same way as any Replica Imitation Firearm... if I'm wrong then I'll welcome all corrections Exclamation

All Sellers (Dealer or Private Seller)in the UK must ask for, and will need to see proof of the buyers:-

1. Age (minimum age 18yrs)
2. membership of a group (Re-enactors or Airsoft skirmish site, Film or Theatrical industry, Museum)
3. details of the groups PLI (number and company its held with)
4. contact details of membership secretary

The Seller then needs to confirm the buyers' membership before the sale can take place.

If a buyer isn't able to prove legitimate membership then he / she is NOT legally entitled to buy.

Importing COMPLETE replica firearms into the UK is also in contravention of the VCRA unless the buyer provides HM Customs with the above listed details proving entitlement to import.

The only exceptions to this are Antique guns, De-activated real guns (although these are under review now) ad those guns not considered to be Realistic Imitations.

This is from the Airsoftcommunity.co.uk/Forums pages...

For the purposes of section 38(3)( of the 2006 Act, the size of an imitation firearm is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if the imitation firearm has dimensions that are less than the dimensions specified in paragraph (2).
The dimensions specified in this paragraph are a height of 38 millimetres and a length of 70 millimetres.
— For the purposes of section 38(3)( of the 2006 Act, a colour is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if it is a colour specified in paragraph (2).
The colours specified in this paragraph are—
bright red;
bright orange;
bright yellow;
bright green;
bright pink; and
bright purple.

Some Airsoft dealers for example have used the "colour" route and offer "2-tone" guns having half the gun painted bright green. These can be bought and sold legally outside the VCRA.

Hope this helps! If anyone knows if Blank firers differ in any way from the above, please voice up.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I'd like to add a few cents worth if I may.

I did a bit of Googling last night and read what I could about the VCRA ruling you guys have over there, and from what I can understand, the authorities don't even know what the individual owners have anyway.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Over here in Western Australia, the rules are similar in some respects, where there is a total ban on imports, which are put in place by Australian Customs. But, people who own replica firearms can still own them. No records are made of who owns what.

So...........we just simply buy and sell amongst ourselves at swapmeets. Even dealers are selling at our Military swapmeets.

My question is, and I don't want to see you guys breaking the law, but if the authorities don't have a record of who owns what, can't you simply just trade amongst yourselves like we do?

Dan.
Back to top Go down
wfalenta
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
wfalenta

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey Ozguns
I know what you mean, thats what I thought too.
A few of the blank firers I have I bought privately without any hassle, although I cant remember if it was before or after the VCR act came in.... could have been before and after October 2007 to be honest!

As mentioned, to buy a replica from a dealer, you need to provide details of your association etc, but I would imagine thats because dealers are registered and (I expect) could be audited or controlled by HM Customs or the Police so they would have to prove the people buying these guns are legitimate.

It would be nice for the Govt to clarify a few of these grey areas for us rather than working on assumptions. But as Cerwyn mentioned above in his post, i guess its better to be safe than behind bars!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11074
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Ownership of replica guns isn't illegal here in the UK. You're quite correct there Oz'. Nor is there any need for licences.
Up until October '07, replicas could be bought and sold freely, without restrictions.

The VCRA put a stop to Buying and Selling within the UK, importing into the UK, and manufacturing replicas within the UK.

The only people legally allowed to do so are Reenactors, Airsofters, Film & Theatre... you know the score there.

I am a registered Reenactor. I've bought replicas from UK dealers and I've HAD to provide proof of my membership, the group's Insurance details, and of course my name and address. No doubt the Dealers have to keep records of who they've sold replicas too so although there's no licence requirements as such, there IS a record now of who'se bought what and when.

Like it or not, names and addresses are on record somewhere of all of us that bought a replica legally from a dealer since Oct. 07

Private sales fall under the very same Act. Yes, of course they'll be far easier to sort "behind closed doors" but they're still illegal unless the buyer proves his / her membership of a bona fide group.
Buying from a close mate is one thing, but whose to know that the guy answering your classified ad' isn't a Policeman? Do we really know who we're "talking" to on-line?

Dealers have been arrested here recently, the Police are taking the VCRA seriously and I for one don't fancy having them knock on my door for any VCRA irregularities. 5 years in Gaol don't appeal at all nor does the prospect of having my pefectly legal collection of Replicas siezed.

Stick within the Law and join an established group, it'll be far safer that way for all of us.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
bob
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
bob

Number of posts : 87
Location / Country : norfolk
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 pm

I had the unfortunate 6am visit from the boys in blue last year (and im a ex officer!!) after i bought a blank weapon of what i thought was a legit site, i had sense to send it back as it never worked properly, however all my weapons airsoft, blank and Pfc were returned to me after testing, i own a training company and have insurance and a letter to state i am insured to use Rifs as part of my business, and mine are standard colours,YOU MUST HAVE A JUSTIFIABLE REASON TO BUY OR SELL A REAL IMITATION NOW

however if anyone has any they wish to sell i can send proof of exemption from VCR bill and i may be interested in buying them.

Im sure cerwyn will vouch for my genuiness!

Bob
Back to top Go down
wfalenta
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
wfalenta

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi bob

So are you saying that if I wanted to sell one of mine privately I would need to be VCRA exempt also, as well as the person who's buying it??

(If it's in accordance with the VCRA then i'm considering selling one, PM me if you're interested)

Also, does anyone know if you're allowed to post RIF's to the buyer (provided all is legit with the sale)?
Would the post office or courier service check packages??

Cheers
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 5:24 pm

A seller HAS to ensure the Buyer is legal to purchase or its the seller ( not the buyer ) that gets done

Thats the shite part as any numpty can attempt to purchase a replica gun and its not illegal ... the illegal act is made by the seller if the numpty has not go the exemption to purchase.

All I`d advise is get all the correct details from them , keep copies safely stored away as this kind of law is one that can come back later and bite you in the ass Evil or Very Mad

You can post RIFs via Royal Mail and couriers etc however if on an express service ( like Special Delivery etc) then they can pass through airport scanners and can sometimes ( not often ) get detected ...if so then that is when the authorities will start asking you for this and that info...you will be covered ( hopefully) but you still dont want the hassle

Don`t get tempted to do a quick sale and grab the dosh because as has been mentioned here it could be anyone attempting to purchase it.

Dont think the Law is being serious over this ?? ...well ask Graham at Battle orders ..they closed his business of 35 years !

Very wise in asking advice on here first, if you need any help with verifying stuff there will be one or two on here that can help Id imagine.

DOC
Back to top Go down
wfalenta
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
wfalenta

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 4:08 am

nice one doc
Thanks for clearing that up
How did you find out about the airport scanners used for special deliveries etc??

I'm glad I brought this up because (correct me if I'm wrong) it isn't actually detailed in the VCR bill.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is:
To buy a rif I need to be assoiated with a theatre company or reenactment society
And to sell a rif it's my responsibility to get copies of the buyers paperwork stating he or she are associated with theatre or reenactment etc.
Although, this does pose another question; how can the seller be sure of the documentation? I mean, I've never seen an example of the kind of paperwork needed from a buyer.
I'm sorry about all the millions of questions but in order to continue my hobby I guess I need to cover my arse so I need to be sure. All this time I assumed I could just buy and sell privately as I pleased. Obviously not....!

Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:40 am

How did you find out about the airport scanners used for special deliveries etc??

Had something stopped ( way before the VCR ) and the fuzzy wuzzies thoroughly checked it over to see if it was in any way real or not. Post VCT I`d imagine they see if it was being sold legally .

With regards to checking peoples details to see they are legit ....well thats the interesting part of the law ...they left it for you to make this choice and you will get sod all clear advice from the home office too !

DOC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blank Firers & VCRA   Blank Firers & VCRA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blank Firers & VCRA
Page 1 of 1