MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shell O-ring Friction question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Shell O-ring Friction question Empty
PostSubject: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Post by Tancor

Hi,

This question is based on a statement / comments in Octobers' question about the slide lock. I didn't want to steal from his thread so I started a new one.

With regard to silicone on the o-rings in the pistons of the shells, is it a good idea to lubricate them as well? It seems to have improved the performance of his gun, but is it a good/safe thing to do?

-Tony
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Post by Mark

Hi Tony,

All of the modelgun manufacturers recomend silicone to lubricate both the internals of the gun and the cartridges.I prefer grease instead of the silicone to lubricate the O-rings though as I think that the grease tends to stay where it's put instead of getting into the cap.

I don't see why putting silicone on the O-ring would hurt anything...Silicone good!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:47 pm

mark wrote:
Hi Tony,
All of the modelgun manufacturers recomend silicone to lubricate both the internals of the gun and the cartridges.I prefer grease instead of the silicone to lubricate the O-rings though as I think that the grease tends to stay where it's put instead of getting into the cap.
I don't see why putting silicone on the O-ring would hurt anything...Silicone good!
I've posted a query asking about Silicone lube for cart 'O'Rings but found your message afterwards!
There are several types of Silicone lube about, Grease for lubing brake caliper seals on cars, Silicone Oil for lubing car window rubber seals etc.
Which type do you use please?
Thanks

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Post by Claymore

Good question, anything that has a high temp resistance for a start i would think.
I am using a grease which i got from maplins and it works well in some rounds and not in others + to much and it makes the piston stick to the cap so no blowback.

Personaly i will probably try some silicone oil next there a a few places you can get it from and all different, so i will try them all and see which works the best. I just wish you get get larger tubes as all the oil's come in very small containers at a high price.

Trial and error on this one i think, silicone is the way just have to find the best.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Hello Claymore,

Thanks for your reply.
Halford's sell Silicone Oil Aerosol and Grease in both spray and tubes.
It's not expensive (3 or 4 Pounds a tin) but I'm unsure which is used by you guys. Carts are expensive so I don't want to damage them by using the wrong stuff! Plus it's frustrating when the gun keeps jamming up.

I haven't seen a Maplin's store about here, what are they, motor or household retailers?

Thanks v. much

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Post by Claymore

the spary cans are not ideal as the lube can dry quickly in the round and i dont think you get much of a coat with a light spray. Never looked in halfords but that grease would probably be fine and a tin that size would last for yrs.
maplins is an electrical store for diy people everything you need for Pc, radio etc etc i think they are on line and the grease comes in tubes but the halfords stuff sounds good.

I am going to try a silicone oil next as the grease (and you only need a light smear in the round) can be too sticky and cause problems. I think if you use too much although the the piston has free movement the grease still slows it down evough to stop full blowback, as i said trial and error on what and how much to use.

One thing about silicone which is good, is that it burns cleaner so not the same black sooty deposits on the detonator but if too much greasse is used then the detonator gets sticky and the rounds jam, hence why oil may be better to use. i will let you know when i finally get some.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks Claymore!
I'll get some grease from Halfords tomorrow and try it. I'll let you know what happens with my MGC Thompson once I get the firing pin / receiver sorted.
The pin's tilted over in the receiver slightly, is tacked or possibly soldered in and is difficult to clean. It needs removing really and rubbing down / polishing with emery or steel wool but how the h*ll do you get it between the chamber and pin???
I'll check online for Maplins too.
I'll look forwards to hearing how you get on with yours.
Thanks very much

Cerwyn
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shell O-ring Friction question   Shell O-ring Friction question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shell O-ring Friction question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MP40's Modelguns Forum :: Modelgun Problems-
Jump to: