MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...

Go down 
+6
jim
JohnnyV
yellow
8ace
smootik
Cerwyn
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Empty
PostSubject: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Problems with Modelguns not working properly or breaking various parts are common enough, we've all suffered from them often enough.

Reading Jim's post about Hudson's latest STEN being of dubious quality, smootik's comments about poor metal on his MadMax Shotgun prompted me to put this short video together.

My Hudson PPSh41 has just been converted to a gas-bypass system so it'll vent smoke through the barrel so the first test firing session hadbeen eagerly looked forward to.

Video camera set up expecting a good burst of firing and plenty of smoke.... things didn't turn out quite as expected  Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Kopfschuettel

The lower reciever snapped cleanly into two pieces  Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_eek Looking at the damage, there's so little metal at the break it makes me wonder if that lower reciever ever stood a chance of surviving.

Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Dsc01810

Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Dsc01811
Has anyone else noticed fractures appearing in any of Hudson's recent models Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_question News of Hudson's imminent closure will probably make spare parts availability a problem too.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : images converted to servimg)
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
things didn't turn out quite as expected
Wow! affraid

That's the last thing I would expect with a replica!
The place where it broke is really thin, with such brittle metal it didn't stand much chance Suspect

It's sad to see such a failure, sorry that it happened to you :-/

Your shooter seems to be very experienced with cartridges though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

D'oh Shocked

Still it's lucky if fell apart as it did as springs and bolts can do some damage No

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:37 pm

It did come as a bit of a shock Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_eek These metal models are expensive items, even more so these days, so such a catastrophic break is something I could do without. Hudson's imminent closure makes a spare reciever look bleak, but, hopefully a repair will be possible even if it means using steel supports either side. It may not look exactly like a PPSh afterwards but it'll be in one useable piece again Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink

My "shooter", Carol, is pretty good at handling these things by now Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_biggrin God knows she's had some practice Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink

It is indeed fortunate that all the bits flew in the directions they did... the thought of a recoil spring, heavy bolt hitting her in the face doesn't bear thinking about (I mean, who'd help me shoot 'em afterwards Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_eek Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_question )
Claymore's video of his abs MP40 flying apart was even more spectacular, the recoil spring and tube shot out of that as I remember.

Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

Number of posts : 208
Location / Country : Belgium
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:40 pm

WTF Shocked
So metal modelguns aren't really much better than plastic ones Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Trouble is with Zinc is that it's not particularly strong. I've had things like zinc bolts wear out, chip and break but this is the first major failure I've experienced.
I've read about zinc barrels and things breaking amongst these pages.

When you look at the width and thickness of the sections that snapped, see that it's at the weakest point of that casting, then if that zinc alloy wasn't of particularly good quality it was almost doomed to fail.

Steel would've been fine, but sadly the Japanese aren't allowed to use steel anymore.

Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 pm

That's really unfortunate mate!
These things do test our patience Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_sad
Still I wish my lady could stay that calm under pressure.
Any chance of drilling horizontally along/inside the two halves and inserting steel rods as a discreet repair?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Nothing much to say...simply shocking!
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:45 pm

JohnnyV wrote:
Any chance of drilling horizontally along/inside the two halves and inserting steel rods as a discreet repair?
It would probably "brittle apart" completely during drilling :-/

Pity that real receivers are out of question for use with modelgun parts.
Even if you get a deact receiver, it would be forbidden to modify it in any way, at least here.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:00 pm

I believe it is illegal here also to modify a De-Activated gun in any way, even if it is to make a cap firing replica.
I'm not even sure if it's even legal to import a real reciever Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_scratch

We're going to have a look at possible repairs first. Welding material is available for Zinc Alloys but I don't know if there's enough metal there to hold everything together.
We'll see Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink Never say Never eh Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_question

That's the coolest I've seen her react to "things going wrong" ... I think the sight of my jaw dropped to the floor made her realise trhis was more than just an inconvenience Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Affraid Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_exclaim

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
[b]That's the coolest I've seen her react to "things going wrong" ... I think the sight of my jaw dropped to the floor made her realise trhis was more than just an inconvenience
Yup, she looks either 102% cool or so shocked that there is no major reaction :-)
Some people would just drop whatever they had in hands ;-)

Lucky that only replica got damaged!

( hmm, in the background there is a lot of dings in the wall, is it from cartridges? Smile )
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am

All those dings are indeed from flying cartridges Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_biggrin I use a big sheet of carboard packing as a backdrop, it saves my plaster walls from damage and makes finding spent cartridges so much easier after firing Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink

Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 337
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Bloody hell mate what were you loading in the carts What a Face What a Face

Cerwyn sorry to see that happen to your Ppsh especially after all that work that has just been completed to get it firing as it should Sad Sad ,but i glad to see that Carol was not hurt in any way or form Very Happy Very Happy
It does make for a good video though!

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:03 pm

kickback wrote:
Bloody hell mate what were you loading in the carts What a Face What a Face

Cerwyn sorry to see that happen to your Ppsh especially after all that work that has just been completed to get it firing as it should Sad Sad ,but i glad to see that Carol was not hurt in any way or form Very Happy Very Happy
It does make for a good video though!

Kickback

Hiya matey

Cartridges were loaded as normal with a single MG 7mm cap. God knows what caused it to fracture as it did. Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Kopfschuettel

The video didn't turn out quite as I'd expected... There's a lot of work gone into it, the gas by-pass works well though, smoke vents out of the muzzle nicely now Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink

We're looking at that Durafix rod as a possible welding repair, but it'll most likely need the extra support of plates too. Internally with luck, but outside if there's no other option.

The first and last time a modelgun blew apart in Carol's hands, a Marui P38, she refused to touch one for a few weeks, this one didn't phase her too much, she didn't realise how disastrous the break was till she saw the colour drain out of me Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_pale

Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Sorry to see that happen Cerwyn, good video again though. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help rebuild it for you. I dont suppose you could blame Carol for breaking it and get her to buy you a new one for Christmas to make up for it??? Wink
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:23 pm

the thought of a recoil spring, heavy bolt hitting her in the face doesn't bear thinking about (I mean, who'd help me shoot 'em afterwards )

Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I hope for YOUR sake Carol does not READ this forum Cerwyn , or else you are toast mate !!

Glad to hear nobody was hurt in the making of the video .

Carl . Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 10:28 am

Spencer-Man wrote:
Sorry to see that happen Cerwyn, good video again though. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help rebuild it for you. I dont suppose you could blame Carol for breaking it and get her to buy you a new one for Christmas to make up for it??? Wink

phobus wrote:
the thought of a recoil spring, heavy bolt hitting her in the face doesn't bear thinking about (I mean, who'd help me shoot 'em afterwards )

Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I hope for YOUR sake Carol does not READ this forum Cerwyn , or else you are toast mate !!

Glad to hear nobody was hurt in the making of the video .

Carl . Smile

Thank you very much for your offer of help Spencer Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink Certainly any ideas or "know how" you may have as to the best way of repairing fractured zinc castings would be very, very welcome mate Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_biggrin
Blaming her DID spring to mind, but I thought better of it... I'd have found it difficult explaining to the Doctors in Hospital why I had a rather large machine gun shoved up my ar*e Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_eek

Carl, I'm pretty much toast anyway mate... all I have to do is mention a cartridge or modelgun and it's Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Suspect Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_cry

Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Cerwyn wrote:
Blaming her DID spring to mind, but I thought better of it...

Probably just as well. Just goes to show though that you should always wear eye protection when firing a gun of any kind, you never know what will happen. Now send that video to youve been framed and see if they give you 250 quid towards a new gun! Laughing
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:37 pm

I am so sorry to hear about it! Anyway your video is top notch again. I can imagine it takes balls of steel to keep on filming and editing and putting up a video of that disaster.

I must admit Carol is getting better and better handling those modelguns. She is a real export now. I am very glad she is not harmed in any way.

Seing the broken parts I can't get rid of the feeling that the receiver MUST break at thie weak point. Of course I understand that modelguns have to be weak due to legal restrictions. Anyway it hurts so much seeing such an expensive model break. I hope you can fix it.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Well Spencer, "You've Been Framed" Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_lol Noooo, probably best not too Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_lol
Steel Toe Capped boots might be an idea, a drum mag's heavy Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_wink

'Mike, the video was intended to show a PPSh firing properly, which it was capable of. I was in a state of shock Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Affraid when it self-destructed, so much so I couldn't switch the camera off Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_eek

The more I look at the reciever, and the way the gun is assembled, it's clear that firing will put a great deal of stress at the point it broke. Stress Fatigue, weak metal, possibly poor quality metal almost makes failure inevitable.
If only they could start using steel again....

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:09 pm

I hear you. Anyway I am sure you got to have balls of steel.

It is a shame they can not use stronger material. I had MGC HW M4A1 parts break like that. Right now I only fire three or four of my models. This is because I can't hardly find the time, but this is also because I do not dare firing my rarer models as I feel spare parts getting rarer day by day ...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Cerwyn wrote:

The more I look at the reciever, and the way the gun is assembled, it's clear that firing will put a great deal of stress at the point it broke. Stress Fatigue, weak metal, possibly poor quality metal almost makes failure inevitable.
Hmm, as I look at PPSh receiver, it has a similar weak point to Thompson M1 receiver, probably due to design feature: both of them being drum-fed. Thompson has a significant advantage, as the top is a single part together with sides, while in PPSh receiver goes only on sides, while top (together with barrel cover) is a separate part.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Even after a seemingly catastrophic failure as this, a repair has been successfully carried out Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_cheers

For full details, please open :-

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...   Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson PPSh41 Falling Apart...
Page 1 of 1