MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
American me

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : U.S.A.....
Registration date : 2009-11-09

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Empty
PostSubject: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi, First off...Im new here and was referred by The person who I recently purchased my new 1921. So, Hello everyone! Haha...Anyways, so Out the box, it worked great with the drum, then I tried with a 20 rnd mag and had 3 shot bursts,and feed problems and jams. I reloaded, and tried again with the drum, and is just doing bursts. Also, I noticed there seems to be a slight mushrooming at the top of the boltface that can be seen thru the top when you pull the bolt back...Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello and Welcome to the Forums MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_exclaim

Is your Thompson brand new or an older used one MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_question If it's an old one, the slight mushrooming you can see on the bolt face could be wear'n'tear. These bolts are cast zinc and will, unfortunately, wear out in time.

Consistent long burst firing relies on everything being set up perfectly. Unlike a real gun, these models are a bit more fussy.

First thing I learned was that after about 30 rounds, the detonator pin and chamber would need cleaning to remove the deposits left by the firing caps. If this isn't done, rounds start to stick in the chamber causing jamming.

Next thing is that you can get away with quickly dismantling a fired cartridge, reload it quickly with a new cap and fire again, but so much dirt builds up inside the cartridge friction makes the piston stick reducing blowback.

So, first job is to strip the cartridges, thoroughly clean them then re-load paying particular attention to lubricating the cartridge bore and 0-ring.
Please take a look at the relevant articles

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/beginner-s-guides-tocartridges-f15/cleaning-and-preparing-fired-cartridges-t931.htm

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/beginner-s-guides-tocartridges-f15/loading-mgc-type-cartridges-t924.htm

Next then is to remove the detonator chamber and give it a thorough cleaning.

If everything else is OK, you should see an improvement straight away. If the bolt is worn, you'll notice jamming happening as the fired cartridge drops off the bolt before being ejected, can you describe how your Thompson behaved as it stopped firing MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_question

Another tip is not to over tension the Drum spring. 5 or 6 clicks of the lever should be plenty.

Give that a try and let us know how you get on please MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_question We'll get it sorted one step at a time between us MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Al -
Welcome - this is a great place for modelgunners.
With your gun being new, the bolt shouldn't be deformed enough to cause problems, however, repeated jams may accelerate the wear some.
I agree with Cerwyn, try cleaning the cartridges and give it another go.

As far as feeding, it is my belief that the drum magazine is more forgiving and operates with fewer feed issues because the cartridge is not staggered like the stick mag. Sometimes the mag lips on the stick mag may need to be adjusted to ensure smooth feeding.

Post often and let us know how you get along!

JL
Back to top Go down
American me

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : U.S.A.....
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Cool, Ill try that...I noticed that when I reload, the piston /seal...would go in kinda tight. should the casing be oiled before re-using after cleaning?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 am

Yes, the cartridge definately needs some lubrication when you load it up. Silicone Grease, or Silicone Oil can be used sparingly. Make sure the cap doesn't get wet.
Don't use WD-40 as this can cause the 0-rings to swell and break eventually.

The tightness you mention can be caused by an air lock in the cartridge. As you load it, the piston's 0-ring can seal so well it traps the air inside. Try pushing the piston in a little further, if it pops back up again, it's almost certainly an air lock. Best way to expell the air is to remove the piston, and keep putting it back, until it seats properly.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Just to give you some idea what a new Zinc MGC Thompson boltface looks like compared to a badly worn example,

First off then, here's a photo of a well used and a new Zinc Bolt Face...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps14

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Pbucket
As you can see here the rim of the recess has been well and truly battered over...
Here's another Angle...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps15

Damage like this is caused through wear and tear, every time the bolt moves forwards it hits the cartridge stripping it from the magazine, it then pushes the cartridge up into the chamber, slams it home to centre it in the Bolt Face Recess, Clip the Extractor Claw over the Rim and Fire it...
Any interferance during this process be it a miss feed, jam, whatever, is likely to leave its' mark on the soft Zinc.
This is how a cartridge is held secure in a New Bolt...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps12

and...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps13

Here's the same round in a worn out Bolt...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps10

and again...

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Thomps11

It's little wonder my Thompson wouldn't fire properly really is it looking at these!
The gun wouldn't extract and eject fired cartridges. Simple reason was the Cartridge would drop out of the Bolt before hitting the ejector, then dropping into the Breech and jamming the next attempt at loading.
Another thing I realised was that during automatic firing the bolt face strikes the magazine body after the last round has been fired. The bolt doesn't travel all the way forwards does it?
There were deep indendations in the bolt face that match the mag exactly.
It's a good idea to load the first cartridge you put into the mag with a dead cap.
That way the gun will strip the round out the mag and into the chamber but as it won't fire and blowback the bolt stays forwards and won't clout the mag body.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : images converted to servimg)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 5:49 pm

updating photos in progress 

Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: MGC Thompson jamming   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

I've found that using the 39 round drum almost always guarantees flawless firing-if your caps are OK.
With my four stick mags, I've also encountered various problems which usually translate to short bursts as a result of misfires. It's already been mentioned that the stick mags can sometimes be a pain and they are. Most may wobble. While the drum works well with my 3 MGC Thompsons, the stick mags don't seem
to interchange as easily. Smooth prolonged bursts don't always occur.

If the bolt face has a splayed/mushroom look to it perhaps a light filing may reduce binding that might occur during the back and forth movement of the bolt. As the other contributors have suggested, a thorough cleaning of the internals and a light application of lithium grease ( good for high heat ) might help. Again, clean and lube the cartridges. It might not be a bad idea to clean out the mag as well. A mag adjustment might might also make a difference.

If the bolt turns out to be unusable due to wear and tear, an ebay vendor is currently offering one for sale-it's been posted for the last six months.

The MGC Thompson is a well made model gun. When you get things sorted out, I think you'll really like it!

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Chris

You have made some good valid points there. Another cause of miss feeds and miss fires can be old cartridges that have battered, miss shapen rims. Even with spotlessly clean well prepared cartridges if the rims are bad the extractor won't grip them properly.

Stick magazines definately need cleaning and lightly oiling inside periodically. The dirt and brown smoke residue gets inside the mag and soon stops the follower moving smoothly.
Sometimes, rather than fill the stick to max capacity, only put in 28 in a 30 rd, or 18 in a 20, that aids smoother jam free feeding too.

The photos I posted above are old ones recovered and reposted in my efforts to rectify Photobucket's decision to remove every photo from 3rd party sites like ours unless a "ransom" was paid. I've still got hundreds to put back on so you'll see older posts resurfacing again, which isn't a bad thing at all  Very Happy  

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?   MGC Thompson M1921 Problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Thompson M1921 Problem?
Page 1 of 1