MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

repainting XM177 stock

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

Number of posts : 208
Location / Country : Belgium
Registration date : 2009-07-02

repainting XM177 stock Empty
PostSubject: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:08 pm

I tried to repaint the stock of my XM177 today.
Ofcourse I've first sanded the complete surface (P320), and then I sprayed the primer on.
I used Motip primer, the same as I use on my modelcars, but the primer seems to react with something.
It's completely bubbling up and there are cracks in it Sad
Has anyone had the same problem before?? Any ideas??
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:35 pm

I've sanded it again, painted it again (primer)
I've sanded it again, painted it again (again primer)
Tomorrow I will sand it again and spray it again (again primer) Very Happy
It gets better every time, so hopefully we will get there in the end!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:22 am

Has the bad reaction stopped now then? Re-sanding and applying fresh coats of primer doesn't suffer from cracking now then?

Is your primer acrylic based?

I used acrylic paints on model kits years ago and found it really good on plastics. I don't remember ever using it on metal though, I'm sure I used enamels for metal.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I try to sand the cracks out as best as possible, and then I re-spray the primer on it.
Every time I do this, there are less cracks than before. I think I have to re-sand and re-prime it once again this evening, and then I think it must be ready to spray the matt black paint on it.

I don't know if the primer is acrylic based. It it Motip paint, mostly used to do spot repairs on cars, or to paint little car- related parts.

What exactly are enamels??
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 pm

When you mentioned model cars it reminded me of the Acrylic paints that became available.
The standard plastic model paints used before the "new" acrylics were Enamels made by Humbrol.

Here's wikipedia's definition of Enamel Paint:

... enamel paint is a paint that air dries to a hard, usually glossy, finish. In reality, most commercially-available enamel paints are significantly softer than either vitreous enamel or stoved synthetic resins.
Some enamel paints have been made by adding
varnish to oil-based paint.
Typically the term "enamel paint" is used to describe oil-based covering products, usually with a significant amount of gloss in them, however recently many latex or water-based paints have adopted the term as well. The term today means "hard surfaced paint"....

I don't know anything about the chemistry of paints, I am aware that some paints react badly when applied onto different types, bubbling, cracking and flaking away can be due to adverse reaction between 2 differing types.

The only hint I can give you is to make certain you've removed all traces of the old paint from your stock. There's a slight possibility your primer is reacting with the original paint perhaps repainting XM177 stock Icon_question
MoTip make a huge range of Car touch-up aerosol paints, engine lacquers, Alloy Wheel and Brake Caliper lacquers, as long as you use the recommended primer for it, you should be ok

Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 8:39 pm

I didn't remove all the old paint, because I thought this wouldn't be necessary when I sprayed a primer first.
But it was just that primer that made a strange reaction (I guess with the old paint, what else?).
I've sanded it once again and I've just painted it with the matt black spray. At the moment it doesn't look very bad, but it isn't dry yet.
Will post pictures when it's back on the gun Very Happy

PS: the reason I re-painted this stock was because I've bought this matt black spray to paint the barrel extension for my auto 9. I have a relatively cheap airsoft version of the auto 9, but it looks a bit plastic. So I was looking for a nice spray to paint it. I hope I can use this paint for it!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 2:34 pm

It could well have been a reaction with the original paint, let's hope you've had more success now.
Looking forwards to seeing the finished product already repainting XM177 stock Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Any idea what the stock's made of Question
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:21 pm

No, I don't have any idea what it's made of. Must be some kind of plastic I think.
Here's a picture of the finished stock! Looks VERY good in real life! Only a few little marks are left of the cracks in the primer (see red arrow).
As I said this was a test for my auto 9 conversion and I believe this paint will be nice for it! To be continued Very Happy

repainting XM177 stock STOCK
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Hmm, thought I could save some time by making one picture of the 4 pictures (uploading them all takes some time), but I see that the quality is very low Shocked
Here is another one Very Happy

repainting XM177 stock DSC04610
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 11:27 am

I think that looks very good matt finish Very Happy plastic is a very tricky thing to paint depending on what type it is, If you are still not happy (I would be happy with it) or it's not very durable it might be worth looking for a plastic primer rather than a standard car paint one Question

8ace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: repainting XM177 stock   repainting XM177 stock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

repainting XM177 stock
Page 1 of 1