MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten

Go down 
+3
kickback
smootik
8ace
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Empty
PostSubject: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 9:27 am

I have finally got around to my MKIIs Sten project and I thought I’d post a few pickys cheers .

A long while ago I managed to get a cheap damaged Hudson MKII Sten which was perfect for conversion to the silenced version which I have always wanted (and Hudson eventually released Rolling Eyes )

Hudson made 2 types of MKII Sten, early and late production and mine was the early version which made fitting a screw-on silencer almost impossible No  also there are a number of other differences between the two types with the later version more like a real Sten.

List of mods

1: Repair the receiver damage
2: Enable it to take a screw-on silencer (/barrel/barrel shroud assembly)
3: Change the ejector to enable the mag housing to rotate.
4: Fit real Sten mags
5: Make the receiver fit real stocks
6: Build the replica silencer and original barrel assy

The damage to the receiver was across the section under the mag housing/ejection port which is the weakest part. The first job was to remove some of the outer diameter from the front receiver which would enable me to sleeve it to support the damaged section and to extend it forward for the silencer thread.
Second I made the internal receiver thread and pinned/brazed it all together.

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten ZiuiUmK

The Hudson Sten’s are designed to take an MP40 sized mag which is quite a bit smaller than real Sten mags. The mag housing is big enough but the ejector design takes up the space needed for the full size mag also it’s not tapered which make it flop about

I modded the ejector plate and added some guides so that the mag will slide in and not twist/wobble

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten 9sF8a7C

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten 4Yz4GKo

One problem with modding the ejector plate is I had to fit a centre line ejector to the inside of the receiver

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten TH4gHMg

The silencer was a straight forward tube with a cap at one end and a threaded section at the other (and no baffles inside so it cannot be used as a working silencer)

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten EhVxPzF

The barrel/shroud was fitted to another threaded section so it can be screwed on in place of the silencer

The rear bushings (and stocks) are different dimensions from a real Sten which means you cannot fit real stocks to them, so I make a new one so I could fit an original loop stock. I then made 2 more butt plates, one to fit to the Hudson T stock and one to make a commando pistol grip.

So a new custom bolt (needed to fit the centre ejector) new cocking handle, trigger action dust cover (to replace the broken one) a coat of paint

All done Very Happy  bounce

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten JhgBIe5

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten 1FSyB3Q

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten D2RjSIA

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten 3V5hTDy

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten LbvqDYd

Last edited by 8ace on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Taff likes this post

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 9:40 am

Looks great!
Reading through the list of modifications I wonder if there are any Hudson parts left in this model ;-D
Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 338
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:32 am

Great Job!,

I have held this model and its feels brill! with all the steel parts it is just like a real sten Very Happy and it fires great too,this really is testament to his engineering skills...keep 'em coming mate

Kickback
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Wonderful MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_biggrin

A heck of a lot of careful and well thought out work has reincarnated a broken model STEN into a cracking looking piece anyone would be proud to own.

As kickback says, a testament to 8ace's engineering skills.

Well done mate

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Cheers guys cheers

and i hope to get a vid done soon
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 12:56 am

Terrific work, what fun!

JJ
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 230
Location / Country : Northants, UK
Registration date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 1:28 pm

I am currently looking for a Sten skeleton stock and when I find one I plan on fitting it to my Hudson. So, how much work is involved getting it to fit!?! I don't want to do any filing/dremmeling of the actual gun - just the stock to get it to fit. If it requires mods to the gun, I doubt I'll bother.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Hiya,

The plate that slips into the rear of the model is too thick on real stocks (6mm vs 4mm on Hudson ones) and I think a slightly larger external diameter, so you’ll have to remove some material from the real stock.

Depending on the type of stock you get you might have to modify the part (button or curved piece) that is used to hold the bottom into the trigger group housing.

Depending on your tools/skill it could be a fairly straight forward tweak.

Plan B is to find an original Hudson one that will fit.

8ace
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello 8ace - reckon the most difficult thing will be finding a stock in the first place. Nobody anywhere seems to have them.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 7:47 am

Yep i had the same problem Exclamation I was about to make my own when a mate found one at a millitry fair.

Good hunting

8ace
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 9:41 am

Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 11:27 am

Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Why not ask one of our American members to buy it and post it on? Ljerr2 has done this for me on a number of occasions. Just remember to add a drink into the price as well.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I have had what I believe is a common problem with this gun today - the trigger spring being too long. So I cut it in half and it still didn't release the sear on full auto. Hmmm..

So I removed the sear (??) from the receiver and inspected it. It turns out where the selector lever (part no.137 on the back of the instruction sheet) pushes against the sear (or part no. 139) the material on the face of part 139 turned out to be something akin to automotive body filler. This had worn away where the selector lever butt's against it on full auto - so there was not enough resistance to release the sear and thus the bolt. What I did was sand a bit of this material  away and superglued in a brass plate cut and ground to size. This is working fine again now and I fired it for the first time on full auto this afternoon sunny

The stainless steel face I've had machined onto the bolt is a bit brutal on the cartridges - though I would sacrifice an early death for them over the bolt giving out anyday. Also the RoF seems more like the real steel Sten and not like some of the videos of the Hudson I've seen. Admittedly I did stretch the return spring quite a bit to give it a little more resistance.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 5:12 am

I swapped my "T' style Mk3 stock out for the more comfortable Mk2 skeleton stock.

Mine is a real Sten stock, not a model gun, which I think is what you're looking for correct?

*Update - the decision not to ship gun parts out of the US is not the gundealers, just did a little research we are not allowed to ship "real" gun parts internationally without correct export paperwork being filed - it is a comprehensive and specific law.

Last edited by pitfighter on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 1:27 pm

pitfighter wrote:
I swapped my "T' style Mk3 stock out for the more comfortable Mk2 skeleton stock.

Mine is a real Sten stock, not a model gun, which I think is what you're looking for correct?

PM if this is the one you're looking for.

PM'd
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:57 pm

pitfighter wrote:

*Update - the decision not to ship gun parts out of the US is not the gundealers, just did a little research we are not allowed to ship "real" gun parts internationally without correct export paperwork being filed - it is a comprehensive and specific law.

It appears Canada will though after all (or a stock at least). Marstar are shipping one to me for 50 quid all in. I just hope I can get it to fit...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Marstar will not ship anything to the US without a form 6.
Not even parts.
If they will ship to the UK, that is great, but has no bearing on the US laws at all.
What is possible or not, is another discussion -
But, as this is a public forum, I feel it is only fair to let US members not risk incriminating themselves.
Modelgun parts are totally fine and legal to ship internationally, BTW Smile
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 4:14 am

pitfighter wrote:
Marstar will not ship anything to the US without a form 6.
Not even parts.
If they will ship to the UK, that is great, but has no bearing on the US laws at all.
What is possible or not, is another discussion -
But, as this is a public forum, I feel it is only fair to let US members not risk incriminating themselves.
Modelgun parts are totally fine and legal to ship internationally, BTW Smile

It appears we have our wires crossed, though perhaps I did quote you somewhat 'out of context', so my apologies. The EBay link posted here to the stock in the US,  was an auction I did bid on and I asked the seller if he'd post to the UK. He said he had no problem and was more worried about me getting in hot water with HM customs.

I was alluding to my previous post on this thread regarding the links to overseas sellers (kindly posted by another member here) that had the skeleton stock available. It took Marstar over a week to reply to me, so I assumed they would not ship to the UK. It  appears I was wrong, though a stock in essence is not an 'essential' gun part and thus they will ship it here. I don't know what the laws are regarding legal ownership of WW2 era sub machine guns in Canada - but I'd wager if I'd asked for a fully functioning brass bolt for a Sten to be shipped to the UK, they would have politely declined, as per the US...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 4:33 am

Hi Muzzleflash,

No, I understood - all sounds good - no need to apologize Smile
I'm sorry if I came across a little heavy handed!

I just wanted to make sure US sellers understood what the deal was - and that this site which we all enjoy wasn't recommending anything illegal.
It is a state dept. rule - not many folks know about. It is possible to get into trouble without realizing it.

Canada has quite strict gun rules, and they will not ship much in the way of parts down here without import paperwork. Clearly they have no problem with either the UK or the Sten stock - which is great - I hope it all fits together great! Well done!

The "T stock" on the MkIII is just awful to shoot - I don't know which internal saboteur thought that up in WW2, but the "skeleton" style MKII stock is perfect, I guess it was a little more complicated to produce?

I am going to keep this one, in case there is ever a request for it - but, we have the looped skeleton stock on it, with a brass bolt, which cycles a hair slower than the steel one.
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 5:26 am

pitfighter wrote:
Hi Muzzleflash,

No, I understood - all sounds good - no need to apologize Smile
I'm sorry if I came across a little heavy handed!

I just wanted to make sure US sellers understood what the deal was - and that this site which we all enjoy wasn't recommending anything illegal.
It is a state dept. rule - not many folks know about.  It is possible to get into trouble without realizing it.

Canada has quite strict gun rules, and they will not ship much in the way of parts down here without import paperwork.  Clearly they have no problem with either the UK or the Sten stock - which is great - I hope it all fits together great!  Well done!

The "T stock" on the MkIII is just awful to shoot - I don't know which internal saboteur thought that up in WW2, but the "skeleton" style MKII stock is perfect, I guess it was a little more complicated to produce?

I am going to keep this one, in case there is ever a request for it - but, we have the looped skeleton stock on it, with a brass bolt, which cycles a hair slower than the steel one.

What does your Mk3 shoot?? Similar to our 9mm Winmag blanks for film/ reenactment purposes?

The T Stock is most definitely subordinate to the skeleton stock, though most mk2's here were produced with the former it seems. Long Branch produced the skeleton stock as standard, though here it was more commonly dropped to Resistance groups, as opposed to being standard infantry issue. It's difficult now in the UK to get one as a solo unit. One uk seller quoted me £80 plus postage for one, as opposed to £30 for a T Stock.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 am

Hi,

Yes, we use the 9mm win-mag long cases here to make blanks for the 9x19mm too - as you probably know, it is the length of the case not the loading as you probably know, the extra brass is used as the crimp.
9mm win-mag on the head-stamp can be half load, full load or quarter load - they use a different color enamel on the end of the crimp to denote the powder load.

Yes - the Sten is set up for 9mm blanks -

Here it is with my new (today) Nakata Hi-power replica Smile
(with incorrect MkII skeleton stock and brass bolt.)

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten FullSizeRender1_zps30d25f56
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Looks good - thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten   MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MKIIs silenced Hudson Sten
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next