MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerland

Number of posts : 45
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2010-02-22

STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi,

I just opened up my new (old) MGC Sterling SMG that arrived in the mail today. Very excited to have it (and much smaller than I remember it being when I was a teenager and had the replica back then), but there is no spring and whatever you call that plate in the magazine that the spring pushes up (pardon my ignorance).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a real steel Sterling magazine will fit. And yes unfortunately the bolt is cut on my Sterling so I may have to get the steel bolt for some blank firing/plug firing fun.

Thanks,

Kerry
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Kerland

After reading an advertisement claiming real Stirling mags fit the MGC Model, I foolishly bought two and they won't go anywhere near the Modelgun.
You may, possibly, be able to use a real Follower and a much shortened spring from a real mag with some modification inside the one you have.

Your best option may be to contact Francky or Shazhib, they may be able to find you a genuine MGC Sterling mag.

There are 2 sources of custom made steel Sterling bolts, Modelguncollector.co.uk and Ken Harris.
It is worth checking Modelguncollector.co.uk regarding shipping PARTS overseas.
Ken has a bolt for sale on Gunbroker.com

Be aware too that you should only ever attempt to fire PFC Cap loaded cartridges in your MGC Sterling, don't even think about trying proper Blank Fire ammunition as one would destroy the gun and do you some serious harm too.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Kerland

PostSubject: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks, (as always) Cerwyn:

I did see the bolt on Gunbroker. It's a little expensive for me right now but I might have to just bite the bullet (no pun intended).

I had thought about getting a sterling mag just for the spring and follower and you're right if I cut down the spring that might work and if the follower is too wide perhaps I could just file it down. I'm assuming that the Sterling mags you got were too big rather than too small?

Anyway, it's a very fun replica and I'm excited to get it functional at some point.

Best,

Kerry
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:04 pm

The real mags I bought were quite different to the MGC. The overall length was longer, width narrower and they were too thick to enter the mag'well properly.

Not even close STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_rolleyes

Back to top Go down
Kerland

PostSubject: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I was actually surprised at how short the MGC sterling mag was... I remembered it as being a 30 or 32 round mag when I first got the replica years ago.

I'm also wondering, I stripped the gun and put it back together and now the cocking handle seems to just want to slide out of the bolt. It won't "lock" in place. Is there some trick when you put it back in to get it to lock in place?

Thx.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:59 pm

It's locked in by the Recoil Spring. Simple as that.
I couldn't quite believe it either till I realised there's a groove cut into one end of the lever . Put the bolt in the receiver, push charging handle in, shove bolt to the breach then drop the spring in. You can turn the lever or spring a little till you feel it catch if you want to.

Put the end cap back to close up and there you go. STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION   STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STERLING MAGAZINE QUESTION
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MP40's Modelguns Forum :: Modelgun General Discussion-
Jump to: