MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Empty
PostSubject: ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.   ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 10:20 pm

I have to say it first: Baby Nambu is the cutest pistol I've ever had in my hand :-)

History
You can read my brief introduction to Japanese pistols in Hudson Nambu Type 14 review:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-reviews-f4/hudson-nambu-type-14-n3-edition-large-trigger-full-metal-t2153.htm

Original Nambu models ("Type A"), called now "Grandpa" and "Papa" were manufactured first, and they entered service. Many officers however preferred small, imported pistols such as Colt .32 or Browning 1910. Captain Nambu designed a smaller version of his pistol that used 7mm ammo (scaled down from 8mm). This was "Type B", or a small Nambu. Name "Baby Nambu" was coined later by Americans. New pistol was not very popular, as officers had to buy it on their own and this design was twice as expensive as imported ones.

Baby Nambu was produced in the same factories as the later Type 14: in Tokyo Arsenal (a few thousand total made) and Tokyo Gas Electric (a few hundred total). As you can see from numbers, it was already very rare at the time, as Type 14 was produced in almost 300 thousands.

When you look at Baby and Type 14 at the first look only size and grip safety distinguish them. Upon receiving my Baby Nambu modelgun I was very surprised that side view pictures do not give a full understanding - these two are completely different designs! This applies to modelguns as well as real guns and it is covered in this review.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-00-10
Japanese instant noodles symbolize Japan, but also what some of us have to eat to afford modelguns ;-)

Wikipedia information about Nambu pistols:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu_pistol

More information:
http://carbinesforcollectors.com/nambu.html
http://members.shaw.ca/tju/babygallery.htm

Modelgun
In a move that is not very clear to me it seems that modelgun manufacturers have divided Japanese market: Hudson produced several variants of Nambu Type 14, Marushin did the same with Baby Nambu, while Tanaka focused on rifles.

Marushin celebrated their 30 year anniversary by creating a new brand: ACG (American Collectors' Group) and releasing a new metal model, Baby Nambu, under this brand. Originally this was a dummy model, but later it was also released as in a blowback version with PFC cartridges and detonator pin inside chamber. Marushin also started releasing Baby Nambu under their own brand, so there is quite a few versions available. Versions also differed in markings, there was one with TGE (Tokyo Gas and Electric) and another with Tokyo Military Factory markings.

After I got my Hudson Nambu Type 14, I decided to get a Baby Nambu as well. They are not very popular outside of Japan so I did not know about these pistols before. These models are however interesting and different from what we usually see.

Dummy Baby Nambus are often available on Japanese auctions, but as I was keen on blowback version I had to wait longer. Eventually a used model appeared within my price range and I could get it. I did not look for any specific markings, just wanted a Baby Nambu.

More information about modelgun (in Japanese):
http://web3.incl.ne.jp/shiraaya/marusin-nanbu-beby.htm
http://homepage3.nifty.com/nkoinuma/J-Handguns.htm

Box
There are several versions of the box, depending on brand and content. My box is made of cardboard, yellow outside. There is some Japanese text, brand name (ACG or Marushin) and prominently displayed price: 19800 yen. My box has a sticker on top. I thought it said this is blowback version, but I quickly found explanation on "nkoinuma" website quoted above - more information later on.

This version of box has a foam insert with two cutouts for model and cartridges. Other versions have satin-covered surface with indentations for modelgun. Inside on top of the content you will find paperwork: registration card, manual and extra page for blowback version.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-10-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-11-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-13-10

Main manual is printed on high-quality glossy paper. It has a front page, exploded diagram, list of parts and simple instructions for loadig magazine and manually cycling dummy cartridges. Extra pages for blowback version explains how to load PFC cartridges with caps and how to clean them. Ther other side contains a list of prices and price changes together with plenty of text that I cannot translate for you.

Good quality scan of exploded diagram can be found here:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yon-yon/cgi/marushin/baby/baby_dis.jpg

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-14-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-15-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-16-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-17-10

Magazine is already inserted and eight cartridges are in a separate cutout.

Modelgun
Did I tell you that this is the cutest pistol I've ever held? :-D

It is small. Very small. You could almost say it's not a pistol, but a women's accessory. I used to think that Walther PPK and Beretta 1934 are small, but Baby Nambu is in a different league. If you compare just dimensions, it is pretty similar to a PPK, but bulk is distributed very differently. Most of Baby Nambu disappears in your hand, only a thin, slender barrel (and top of slide) stays on top. This is much different than Western pistols, where whole slide sticks out, making pistol seem much larger. Totally opposite of a revolver where you have the bulk of firearm outside your grip.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-20-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-21-10

Baby Nambu is full metal, originally gold-plated in accordance with Japanese law. Only grips are plastic, everything else is a pleasant metal. This helps this modelgun to feel very solid despite its minuscule size. Colour is slightly less yellow than on Hudson Nambu Type 14.

Finish is very good, much better quality than Hudson Type 14. Surface is very smooth, well polished, without rough edges or bad surprises. You can literally see that a lot of attention went in creating this model.

Barrel in front of trigger is round, without any slide over it. There is a metal front sight that can be adjusted. Due to regulations barrel is fully blocked.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-29-10

Barrel enters the frame, and here is where the surprise starts. Top of this gun is very wide, due to a peculiar construction where return spring/rod are placed next to barrel/chamber, horizontally! This looks as if a tunnel was attached to the left side of the "slide". Such feature cannot be seen on side pictures, this is the surprising difference from Type 14 that I wrote about.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-26-10

Going back - left side of the frame features a "mystery button" above the grip. I have not fully figured out what it does, except that you cannot push it forward (as engraved arrow seems to say), but you can turn it backwards and take out, probably as part of disassembly process. Magazine release button is on the right side, behind trigger guard, within grip panel. This is very unfortunate placement, practically every time I grip this pistol, magazine ends up crashing on the floor :-/ You need to be careful with your thumb.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-28-10

Right side of the frame has markings - well-known to modelgun collectors "SMG" sign, saying it is a safe metal modelgun, a serial number (3912), and three kanji above it: 式部南, meaning (right to left) "nan-bu-shiki" or "Nambu model". Other than that there is no special features.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-42-10

Top of the frame has an ejection slot, rear sight integral with frame, and markings. You can see black extractor on top of the bolt through the slot. There is a Tokyo Military sign that looks like a circle with three petals. I believe this sign originally showed three canonballs in a pyramid, as seen from the above the pyramid. There are also two kanji signs between ejection slot and rear sight: 御賜. They say "gift honourable" which means that it was presented by Emperor. This marking was found on pistols given to officers who graduated with top marks.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-27-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-31-10

Sight is fixed and very simple - small, personal, mainly decorative pistol does not require any special sights.

Back features grip of the bolt. You need to grab it and pull back to load next cartridge (ejecting the previous, if there was one in chamber) and cock the model. Grip has an interesting shape that not only makes it easy to grab, but is also pleasant to look at. Sides have grooves, back is beautifully engraved with, I think, a chrysantem.

Under bolt grip there is a leash attachment.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-24-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-25-10

Inside a round trigger guard there is a round trigger. Model has a grip safety that physically interferes with trigger and prevents from pulling it. You need to squeeze grip to disable it. Trigger pull is not very pleasant - it goes a long way until you have to press much harder for the model to fire.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-23-10

Magazine

Stainless steel magazine, similar to larger Nambu Type 14 and Luger P08 thanks to distinctive grip at the bottom.

It has a button to assist with loading - you can pull follower down against the spring, and drop cartridges from above.

Magazine follower also serves as bolt stop. After the last cartridge is ejected, bolt will stay back held by magazine. Once you remove the magazine, it will fall back.

Capacity is 6 cartridges.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-40-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-41-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-42-11

Cartridges

Cartridges externally look like 7mm Nambu cartridges with a "bottle" look. Internally they have modern PFC design. They are unscrewed in two pieces. Bottom one contains detonator pin, with an o-ring, that can be taken out for cleaning. Top part has a metal disk with small hole and an o-ring. Cap goes into top part, with charge facing down.

Apart from blowback cartridges there are also dummy/decorative 7mm cartridges that have a silver-coloured bullet tip (perhaps against vampires).

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-60-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-61-10

Firing

I have not fired this model yet, as I don't know how to disassemble it for cleaning and inspection. To be honest I did try firing, but at the time I had only dud caps that did not work at all. After reading on Japanese websites it seems that this model does not fire very well due to firing pin design and weak force.

Problems
None, except maybe for firing that I haven't checked yet.

There is an ergonomy problem with magazine release button, but it's a matter of getting used to this feature, I think.

Overall
This is a quality model, well finished, solid and pretty.
I forgot whether I already wrote that this is the cutest pistol I've ever held ;-)

Baby Nambu is an intriguing modelgun that should attract quite a few looks if you show it to somebody - women included.

Last edited by smootik on Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.   ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm

This review would not be complete without showing you how small Baby Nambu is, and how the shape compares to other well-known pistols. Here you go!

Comparison models are: standard size DVD, MGC Colt 1911, MGC Walther PPK and Hudson Nambu Type 14.

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-50-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-51-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-52-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-53-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-55-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-56-10
ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Bn-57-10

Movie on this DVD is "Oesters van Nam Kee"
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.   ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Great review, particularly like to see it alongside the PPK, and others.

I haven't seen one of these up close, thank you for a terrific write up.

JJ
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 229
Location / Country : The Swedish Kingdom
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.   ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Excellent, truly interesting modelgun. Which also makes for the original version of course.

As far as my knowledge goes it seems that Japan took quite a different path in designing most of it's firearms, most pistols are very different from what is usually seen.

That alone makes for some interesting talking points Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.   ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACG Baby Nambu, metal, blowback version.
Page 1 of 1