MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Venting holes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vernonsmith

Number of posts : 30
Location / Country : Texas
Registration date : 2008-09-28

Venting holes? Empty
PostSubject: Venting holes?   Venting holes? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Can anyone tell me what are these two extra holes just in front of the screws are for? Are they for venting purposes? What about the rectangular one right in the middle? I know the earlier version are solid without this.

Last edited by vernonsmith on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Venting holes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venting holes?   Venting holes? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Vernonsmith,#

I'm no MP40 expert No and hopefully our more experienced members can shed some more light scratch

I have seen a few with the rectangular cut out, but never seen the two extra holes No i'd be surprised if they are vent hole as the chamber doesn’t have any corresponding gas by-pass holes Question

I thought that the rectangular cut out was an attempt to stop the conversion to a real firearm (weaken the receiver)

It should be possible to mod it to fire PFC rounds with a new bolt and det pin assy, but it won't be front venting due to the barrel

8ace
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Venting holes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venting holes?   Venting holes? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello vernon, it is good indeed to be able to welcome you here at long last Venting holes? Icon_biggrin I know you've been a regular visitor for some time.
The MGC MP40 is one of the most desireable modelguns and if this is your first model, it's a lovely start to your collection. I see you've posted a number of good questions which I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge.

Late production MGC MP40s, paricularly those exported to the USA, were non-firing display only models. Not only were they made incapable of firing cap loaded cartridges but it was made certain they could never be converted to fire real rounds or even blanks.

DOC would verify and/or correct me I'm sure but I'm sure that as 8ace states, the slotted receiver and drilled holes extending through the trunion are deliberate to weaken the model rendering it impossible to convert.

Have a read through the MGC MP40 Registry, https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/mgc68-mp40-registry-t886.htm , you'll find this info:
7. Receivers:

Early "solid" tube without cut below the barrel trunion.

Mid production: solid/cut behind magazine housing.

Late: cut with two, small holes drilled in the receiver tube just below the barrel trunion.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

Venting holes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venting holes?   Venting holes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venting holes?
Page 1 of 1