MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08

Go down 
+3
8ace
smootik
Jeppo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeppo
Jeppo

Number of posts : 44
Location / Country : Stockholm/Sweden
Registration date : 2010-05-14

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Empty
PostSubject: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Hello!
I just finished removing the gold finish from my Marushin Luger P08 and I wanted to share the knowledge and insight I achieved.

In the beginning I was afraid that I would ruin the underlying chromelayer that is beneath the gold layer, so I was very careful, too careful because nothing happened. I scrubbed and scrubbed using a schotch brite sponge, but nada...

Then I found these 3M polishing sponges. they can be found in different grains. The gold plate finsish came off pretty ease, but still it´s a couple of hours of labour...I used microfine and superfine:

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 3m

this is the luger with it´s original gold plate finish:

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Luger_gold

and this is the luger striped and scrubbed clean from gold layer (there are some parts still with some gold that I will remove when my fingers come back to life):

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Luger_chrome

Notice that the one I have worked on is the second generation, improved marushin gold luger, that have WWII nazi markings. I have also found original luger wood grips that I will use.

The next step is getting the bircwood casey aluminium coating. I will post images on that project as well and share any knowledge I come across.

If someone HAVE done this I would be very happy for any advice! Very Happy

/ Jeppo

Last edited by Jeppo on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Wow, that's a job! I can just imagine how your fingers hurt now after all this scrubbing :-)
I'm looking forward to blueing part, I'm sure you will research and just as good job as with removing gold layer.

3M pads are a great find, I did not know such thing existed.

Thank you for sharing information :-)
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Very nice indeed Very Happy and that should blue nicely Cool

8ace
Back to top Go down
PPU

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Russian Federation, Moscow
Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm

I think to remove the gold finish can use steel wool super fine fraction (0000).
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 am

I reckon to leave it in chrome is already good enough (also it makes it more rare - can seldom see Luger in chrome finish) - but of course either way is fine!

Another way to remove the gold is to take it to some plating factory to strip off the gold (needs to be extremely careful though - alloy isn't prone to strong chemical) - but it shall be quicker and easier...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am

I'll look forwards to seeing how the bluing process is done. Although the subject has been discussed several times before I don't think we've seen such fine detailed photographs
If possible please Jeppo, quality photos like these taken at each stage would make a perfect guide for others to follow

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
tankie1rtr
tankie1rtr

Number of posts : 12
Location / Country : York/United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Marushin Po8 Luger   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi.
I have a chance of purchasing one of these Marushin lugers in Gold, can you please tell me if they are real metal or monkey metal, also what price are they, I have been offered for £200, is that expensive or reasonable, he also states they are museum quality, do you agree.
Thanks
Regards
John
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:33 pm

If by "metal" you mean "steel", it is not made of steel. It is a metal model however, made from zinc-aluminum alloy.

"Museum quality" does not really mean much in context of a modelgun. A rusty 500 year old sword is museum quality Wink Marushin's Luger is made with a lot of attention to details, it is a replica much more than a toy, if that's what you mean. Way better quality and finish then Denix for example.

For price you need to compare how much you would pay if you wanted to get it from another source. Check "Where can I buy from" thread in "Buy / Sell" section. I would say price is ok if the model is in excellent state, with box, manual and all other pieces. Brief look at online shops says you could get this model for almost the same price (5% difference) from an established UK vendor. Importing would be more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Jeppo
Jeppo

Number of posts : 44
Location / Country : Stockholm/Sweden
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Yes, as smootik says, it is made of zinc-aluminum alloy (called zamak) with some sort of chromed finish under the gold layer. I imported the ones I´ve got myself, and it costed me approx what you have been offered.
But there are a few around at some dealers so look around and compare is my suggestion.

/ Jeppo
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Several discussions with "How To... " help can be found by typing in "Bluing" in the Search facility and checking "topics"

Models commonly blued to replace the gold finish are Marushin's M712 Mauser and the Luger of course.

It'll be worth taking time to read through the discussions you'll find Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_biggrin

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08   Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing gold plate finish - Marushin Luger P08
Page 1 of 1