MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Empty
PostSubject: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 5:05 am

REFURBISHING A RMI (MGC) P-08 LUGER

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Lugerasarrived
THE LUGER AS IT ARRIVED - MAGAZINE & TRIGGER PARTS MISSING

This P08 was a “steal” on a local internet, auction. I knew that some parts were obviously missing, and bought as a winter project.
I contacted Richard Jones on this forum and he has most of what I need. And while waiting for the parts to arrive I got hold of a second RMI P08 with most parts intact.
I knew the rectangular side plate from Richard was sending me did not include the “L” shaped trigger bar; and the L-bar on the borrowed Luger was likewise missing.
Using the cover-plate and photos from a REAL P08 as a guide I decided to fabricate one.
First, being naturally lazy, I made an L-bar from a piece of 2.5mm aluminium (aluminum to Americans) angle. Easier to work with, and quick to shape.
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step01
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step02
CUTTING AND FITTING

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step03
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step04
SHAPING AND TRIMMING TO FIT

Of course it was too soft and gave way near the hinge hole after several plays. But I got the basic dimensions right and it worked OK for a while. However the aluminium bar made a good template for the steel version (cut from a 4mm steel bracked in my junk box). The photos tell the story.
STEP1
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step05

STEP 2
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step06

STEP3
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step07

STEP 4
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step08

STEP 5
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step09

STEP 6
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step10

STEP 7
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step11

STEP 8
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step12

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
But then I discovered more bits were missing, by comparing my WE P08 GBB BB pistol. The L-bar striker normally strikes a steel spring-loaded plunger on the actuator bar of the P08. These parts were missing on both my and my friend’s Luger.

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step13
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step14

I cut one each out of some galvanised steel clouts from my tool box. I have yet to make some springs, but by cutting the clouts longer than required, they sit adequately in to recessed hole and seem to work OK for now; I'll make some springs when I find some spring wire.....must be some here somewhere!

AND YET -----MORE! THE FIRING PIN/BAR
Next, the actual firing pin/bar (dummy version) in both our P08’s had warped over time.
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step16

I wonder if ANYONE has some ideas about how to straighten them. Made of zinc, it may be a difficult process – but I am open to ideas. Richard has some straight ones (not yet here in NZ), but it might be good to have a spare anyway.

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step15

THE MISSING MAGAZINE PROBLEM SOLVES EASILY!
Finally, the P08 had no magazine. I measured the dimensions and got hold of Francky.
After some discussion I ordered a Marushin P08 mag from him – and it didn’t take much to make it fit easily. Just a fraction of a mil filed off the Luger where the mag rib goes into it; and a fraction at the base of the pistol grip where the mag finger grips rest.
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Marushinmagreplacement
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Fitting01
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Fitting02
And it's perfect as the dummy rounds cycled just fine!

RMI P08's fall apart!
My friend’s P08 will, like mine, work once the firing pin/bar is fixed – but a word of caution.
The MGC RMI Luger falls apart easily if the latching bar is not secured! Maybe due to time, or wear, it comes loose and drops out with relative ease, whereupon out drops and square cover-plate and associated bits and bobs. Not very useful in a theatrical or demonstration setting - unless you want a comedy show!

At the very least it’s been a great exercise in familiarity with the P08 and at best a load of fun trying to solve the various issues.
But like I said, if we could straighten out the warped zinc - that would be a bonus.

THE FINAL PRODUCT!
(My mate's P08. Mine will be completed when the parts arrive!)
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger TheP08

Last edited by kiwigunner on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:09 am

Whoa! great job mate!
I appreciate that you took time to write it all down and take notes for use :-) Annotated photos are a great idea - clear and get the message across without searching in the text.

I often see these Lugers missing the same parts. I did not understand why people would lose it so easily, but as you wrote it must be a problem of the latching part.

What tools did you use for making spare parts? I suppose you have a workshop and you are not stranger to such modifications Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am

Superb write up and a superb job done Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_biggrin

Thanks very much for taking time to photograph each stage, I know how long that takes Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_exclaim Articles like this make great reading and will be of immense help to many

Great stuff Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_smile

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Tools used   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks Cerwyn - I hope members do find it useful. I think there must be a lot of these models with side-plate bits missing! So I hope it will help motivate them to give refurbishing a go. The MGC P08 is a fine example of a Luger.

Smootik thanks also - it does take a while to write it up. But it's something I enjoy - after all I'm new to the forum and so many members have written great stuff here to help solve my challenges, I hope I can follow their example with my experiences!

Re tools: I just used a hack-saw, sand paper, an electric hand-held metal grinder and a decent metal file. Of course a vice and set of calipers helps!And my workshop is just a wood bench under my house!

I've always like P08-Lugers since I was a kid. I was born & brought up on the island of Jersey, which was occupied by German forces during WW2.
Heavily fortified as part of the Atlantic Wall these concrete bunkers were my childhood play-ground. Instead of Cowboys and Indians we played French Resistance and Germans!!! And sometimes we'd find an old German helmet, clean it up and sell it to some tourists for a few Pounds!
Never found a Luger, though I was always looking!
Now my childhood dreams are being fulfilled with my Modelgun Collection! Which is growing weekly as my bank balance diminishes!

I just added a photo of the magazine finger grip, and where to file to make it fit.

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Wood bench definitely counts as a workshop ;-)

As a kid I only found German coins and buttons, nothing larger came up. Definitely not a Luger, so I also needed to make up for it now when I'm grown up ;-D
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Excellent repair cheers some of those Luger parts are tricky to make and fit

8ace
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 am

RMI (MGC) ARTILLERY LUGER P08

Last year I bought a Luger P08 with an 8” barrel an MGC Snail drum magazine of a forum member (jersey german). What I really wanted was an Artillery model or a Naval P08 to display with the Trommel magazine.

Last week (May 2012) an Artillery mode P08l came up for auction on Trademe (NZ) which bid on and won, knowing that it had at least one problem (non-working take-down lever).

On arrival I stripped it down and found a few more issues: What a Face

1. missing “L” bar that operates the firing mechanism;
2. missing trigger spring;
3. missing spring and transfer bar plunger;
4. the transfer bar itself had been installed back-to-front (i.e. flipped over) so that the Safety lever would not engage;
5. the firing “pin” bar and spring were also missing.
Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Lugerbarreversedjpg

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger P08partsfixed
I soon fixed the take-down lever (installed a small spring ball bearing), then cut and fitted a new trigger spring; re-installed the transfer bar the correct way plus installed the spring and plunger bar.

This week I plan to make a replacement “L” bar similar to the one made previously (posted here)
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2417-refurbishing-an-old-mgc-rmi-p08-luger.Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Step12

All that will leave is the missing firing “Pin” bar – which I hope forum member Richard Jones still has some in stock!

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Lugerpartsandbits02
The pint is this: you never know what you end up with when buying a modelgun on auctions; but thanks to this forum and its members we have access to a great resource to facilitate making repairs or replacing parts in most modelguns!

And when I have the time to spare, I'll use a Dremmel to remove some of
the casting ribs on the trigger, bolt/ejector and magazine release etc.

These are lovely replicas and well worth the effort to restore! Very Happy

Kiwigunner

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger P08triowords

Last edited by kiwigunner on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : change photo, fix typos; add extra photo)
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:13 am

Kiwi, it amazes me all the dedication you put into your projects to get them going again. Smile
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks Ozzie - I obviously hold this modelguns in high regard! They are so close to the original P08 Parabellum Lugers, and they're not plastic - so they should last a few more years yet! Very Happy
And of course, learning to fix them has its challenges - and keeps the old brain active solving issues! scratch

I'm after a Navy model P08 now!

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger   Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refurbishing an old MGC (RMI) P08 Luger
Page 1 of 1