MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
picure

Number of posts : 24
Location / Country : Taichung/Taiwan
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Empty
PostSubject: Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?   Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Sorry about my previous post "Is it bad to dry fire Blank Firing guns". What I meant was PFC model guns. I have done some research about dry firing and dropping slides on empty chambers on real steel guns and came up with mixed answers. I was wondering if its the same for PFC Model Guns?

I have an Shu Wei Beretta 92FS
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?   Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

It is not very good, check following thread for sample problem:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-problems-f5/ksc-beretta-m93r-firing-pin-t157.htm

This is similar to what might happen in real pistol. When firing pin is pushed, it goes int empty space where cartridge should have been, and it might break or deform from unexpected stress. Cartridge stops pin, it moves forward just enogh to push cap on detonator.
Dummy cartridges for modelguns sometimes have bottom piece on spring, so when firing pin strikes it, it is slowed down gently - doesn't hit too hard, doesn't fly forward too much.
Back to top Go down
picure

Number of posts : 24
Location / Country : Taichung/Taiwan
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?   Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 5:36 am

Thanks alot for the info!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?   Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am

There are times when the working action of a modelgun needs checking over, correct feeding and extraction of cartridges for example.
Sometimes it's easier to do this without actually firing a cap.

As dry firing without cartridges isn't recommended for any modelgun (or real ones come to that) what I do is assemble cartridges with "dead" i.e. previously fired caps.
That way, the modelgun will feed a round, push the cartridge piston towards the dead cap and the firing pin can push the "primer" as intended.
As there's no charge in the cap, the modelgun can be hand cycled to extract and eject the cartridge without risking damaging anything.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?   Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it bad to dry fire PFC Model Guns?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MP40's Modelguns Forum :: Modelgun General Discussion-
Jump to: