MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin 1911 magazine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stechele
Stechele

Number of posts : 26
Location / Country : U.S.
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Marushin 1911 magazine Empty
PostSubject: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 am

I just recently received a Marushin 1911 kit from Francky(thanks), The build went together without any problems. I loaded up the mag with 3 cartridges and proceeded to take a "test drive". First round chambered and fired, the next round did not load. It appears that the cartridges are pinching on the interior walls of the magazine. I can barely get all 5 cartridges loaded, and when I do only the last 3 will slide under spring power without assistance. to get the others to feed, I have to squeeze the magazine. Also the cartridges look like they are taking a bit of a beating aswell.
Anyone else experience this issue?
with 4 cartridges
Marushin 1911 magazine IMAG0210
take one out and stack doesnt move till you squeeze the mag.
Marushin 1911 magazine IMAG0211
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 am

Hi Stechele

Although I don't own a Marushin 1911 I've had similar problems with other magazines. My problems have been due to the follower sticking or snagging against the mag walls
Stripping the mag and checking for burrs on the mag or follower is straightforward enough. Any you find can be smoothed out with a file or abrasive paper.
A little oil or a smear of grease should allow the follower to slide up and down without snagging.

Kit models often need parts deburring or moulding flash removing to achieve a correct fit.

How easily does the follower move up and down inside the mag' if you push it with a rod or something similar Question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Stechele
Stechele

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

I have deburred the inside surfaces, and the follower moves pretty smooth without cartridges. I have been working the mag with 5 carts trying to break it in. It's working a little smoother by still doesn't feed reliably
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm

OK, there has to be a fit problem between cartridges and mag by the sound of it.

It's unlikely the cartridges are at fault, you've already deburred the mag and follower. Could the mag body be slightly out of shape Question
Squeezing the mag, I assume to bow the sides out, release the hold on the cartridges and it'll feed ok. Can you measure and check the internal width of the mag down it's entire length to verify it's parallel Question
Maybe there's a tight spot in there. How does the mag width compare to cartridge width Question

Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi
I get through a lot of these mags (they are a pain as the bottom is spot welded on factory build versions and not removable) when you say squeeze Do you mean squeeze side to side or front to back? if its front to back my guess is the second spotweld down on the rear is catching on the follower, as you said the last 3 rnds clear OK (at this point the follower has just cleared that spot weld.
I have had a few of these where the spot weld is broke, and a few where it is "bad/distorted"
Could you take pic pos of follower at top of mag with no carts loaded as I can compare with mine and see if follower is distorted
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks Johnny Wink

Back to top Go down
Stechele
Stechele

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Marushin 1911 magazine IMAG0214
Marushin 1911 magazine IMAG0215
Marushin 1911 magazine IMAG0216
Yes if I squeeze it from front to back, not on the sides the cartridges slide normally.
the spotwelds on the back seem ok besides a slight curve inwards from the weld. nothing major
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi
Well everything looks just as it should... the only comment is that in the first pic (may be just an camera angle effect) the rear upright face (with the spot welds) "looks" like it may not be flat.. ie where the welds are centre is raised?

So looking striaght down from above looks like ^ instead of __ if you see what i mean?
Back to top Go down
Stechele
Stechele

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Yes there it is, but it actually bends inward ever so slightly towards the middle
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 pm

That could well be the trouble as that will thin the mag at the rear causing the follower to bind.. the rear of all my mags here (7 of them) is perfectly flat, If you try to flatten by pushing follower down to bottom and locking with a pin through the bottom side hole, be carefull as the spot welds are not that good... brittle... use a lever to apply gentle steady pressure to push it straight..

maybe nothing to do with it ... but best of luck anyway:)
Back to top Go down
Stechele
Stechele

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 pm

I worked the seam a bit and it made it worse. I tapped on the front of the mag, the rounded portion with a small brass mallet. The mag was placed on a soft surface, and I tapped down the front and on both sides of the rounded face. The magazine has now fed all cartridges. Every so often it snags a little, but when firing I think the recoil is enough to jar the cartridges loose so they will feed.
Just when I was about to give up to.
Thanks for the help guys.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 am

cheers glad to see you've got it sorted now Stechele, especially as you were so close to giving up Exclamation
Thanks again John for the benefit of your experience with these mags Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin 1911 magazine   Marushin 1911 magazine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin 1911 magazine
Page 1 of 1