MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin HW ABS MP40

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kezza

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : West Sussex, England
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Marushin HW ABS MP40 Empty
PostSubject: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi guys - Cerwin was asking about a review of the Marushin HW MP40, so here goes.......

As a newcomer to replica guns, I did not know what to expect after ordering an MP40 from Modelguns Worldwide.
Looking at the website and videos convinced me that the MP40 was the one to have.

I paid about £350 including shipping, and delivery was in 3 days!

The version I have is the pre-built "modified" version from Modelguns, which I understand has a few parts replaced/adapted to improve reliability and longevity........

On opening the box, I was immediately impressed with the authentic look and feel of the gun, with more metal parts than I imagined.
The weight is about 6 1/2 pounds unloaded, which I guess is a couple of pounds under an all metal version??????
Can anyone confirm what parts Modelguns change on this version?
There is about 3mm of free play/rotation between the hand grip and top receiver part, but this must be normal I guess.

The gun has a general feel of precision about it and the release actions for the stock and mag have a satisfiying "click".
The finish is not too shiny, I feel, although the various replicas and original guns that you see around are of varying types of finish.
Dismantling the gun is very easy and the supplied instructions, although in Japanese, have clear illustrations.

At first I was afraid of firing the 5 cartridges that came with the gun, especially indoors, but then the little boy inside me took over.
I followed the instructions that Modelguns had e-mailed me to load the MP40 and went upstairs to the bedroom and shut the door.......
Cocking the gun tentatively and wondering where to point it, I squeezed the trigger and it was all over in 1 second.......but what a second!!!!!!!
Smoke, flashes, nice recoil and 5 spent cartridges strewn around the room!
That first firing was fantastic, with the sound reverberating around the bedroom......
Then I had my first experience what all cap firing enthusiasts have come to loathe - finding the used shells!
Straight away I had lost one of them.....
This will not do, I thought and started thinking about where to fire it.
Then I saw the chunks chipped out of the walls by the flying shells and then the other half ran in to see what all the noise was about and she saw the chips in the wall...........oh dear.

After some experimenting, I have settled on the garage for firing, hanging up sheets to allow the shells to hit them, thus taking the sting out of them.
Also, I have carpet in the garage to allow soft landings for the brass cases, as they can get chipped very easily.

I have fired in excess of 200 rounds so far and have found the gun reliable.

As you are all aware, I know, the preparation of the shells is the most important part of firing - you quickly learn that re-charging them without checking for damage/deposits, will result in jams.
I have had no problem letting rip with 25 plus rounds in one go, although I find trying to get all 32 rounds in the mag a bit tough.....

I also spray a bit of WD40 on the firing pin, to get more smoke when firing.

Overall, I love this modelgun and with an authentic strap fitted, it looks the biz!

I have read some threads about these versions being fragile in use - does anyone have any tales about this?

How often do most of you guys fire your MP40s, or are some just ornaments?

What type of oils do you use to lubricate/clean the cartidges, as I have found that "3 in one" Silicone spray is very good.

A couple of final questions:
With regards to the magazine developing that rust coloured muck - do you need to dismantle the mag completely to clean all of the inside or is it ok just to push down the top part and wipe where you can?
And have any of you used genuine MP40 magazines with these guns and do they work ok with the Marushin cartidges?
Also - can you get shell loaders for these magazines and do they work better that sore fingers????!!!!!!

I look forward to your feedback guys.

Kezza

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Many thanks for your review Kezza, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it as it brought back all the memories I have of buying and receiving my first modegun, also a Marushin MP40 but the older ABS and zinc version.
Just as you found, watching those videos posted by Modelguns-Worldwide convinced me I just had to have one of these MP40s and I wasn't dissapointed.

Your review capttured the anticipation of unwrapping it for the first time, the awe felt looking at it, handling it, the thrill preparing to fire, the broad grin after that first burst of fire Very Happy
Chipped walls, dented ceilings, broken ornaments and terrified cats are things we get used to after awhile, the wrath of "the other half" is something else however... No
Lost cartridges are a pain, it's amazing how far these things can fly isn't it Question You soon learn to set up some bed sheets or big cardboard packing sheets to catch the ejected cartridges. They're too expensive to lose these days and if not cleaned straight after firing they'll corrode beyond recovery in no time.
There are articles posted here on the forum dealing with cleaning and preparing cartridges which should help keep yours in good trim.
There are also Factory Instruction Manuals here in English, step by step Guides for Stripdown, Cleaning, Inspection etc
The first HWABS MP40s produced by Marushin were supplied built by the factory so should be well set up. They have sinced started selling them in kit form as they did with the original ABS version. Modelguns-Worldwide, as well as Modelgun Collector.co.uk and PlugFireCapGunsUK can sell the kit or they'll build them for you as you wish. Careful assembly, removing all casting and moulding flash will ensure correct fit of all parts and smooth operation.
I too became curious to learn how Modelguns-Worldwide modified the ABS version for better performance so decided to have a good look. Mine had been carefully put together, fired like a dream, but the only sign of modifications I could see were the vent holes in the detonator chamber had been opened out slightly. The ejector had been filed/ground to the correct angle as shown in the kit instructions too but I couldn't actually see anything else to be honest.
Interesting too is that a lot of the video footage of Modelguns-Worldwide's "modified" MP40 is actually video shot in Japan by the Modelgun Guru Shiraaya.
The fact is that Marushin's MP40, carefully set up, performs like a dream and IMHO is possibly one of the best firing models available
Marushin's own cartridges are perfectly suited. They produce the correct amount of blowback force to cycle the relatively lightweight bolt and recoil spring etc. Don't make the mistake of trying MGC type c.p. cartridges however. Yes, they're louder, but far too powerful for the ABS MP40 bolt. I broke a bolt in one of my other MP40s using MGC P220 cartridges. Too much blowback cracked the bolt but the gun cycled far too fast for the recoil spring to be able to control it.
ABS is regarded as being more durable than HWABS in models that are fired. HWABS is "Heavy Weight" because the plastic material is impregnated with metalic particles. It "feels" much better, doesn't shine as the more plasticky ABS BUT it can be brittle and prone to breaking. News of the HW MP40's launch was welcomed by all of us but several discussions touched on the fear of brittle parts leading to breaks.
To date, I don't think I've seen any reports of HWABS MP40's breaking which is encouraging.
I've probably fired well over 1000 rds (possibly many more) through my ABS version over the few years I've owned it. It was second-hand when I bought it and had been fired. Apart from a small amount of wear on the bolt's feed rails which still works fine, I've just replaced a detonator chamber. That's it... nothing else has broken.
Certain HWABS models, MGC Colt 1911 pistols for example are known to break barrels regularly. The brittle material doesn't cope with firing stresses very well. Broken barrels are very common, hence the concerns over Marushin's HWABS MP40

Cleaning and lubrication is vital with all modelguns. WD-40 is fine on metal parts but best avoided on plastics and rubber. Propellants used in the aerosols can damage plastics so your best bet is Silicone Gun Oil. There are a few on the market, Abbey make a good one available in dropper bottles or spray cans. Use this on your MP40's moving parts and aso wipe it over the entire gun as it'll clean it and give the HWABS a nicer metallic look finish.
You mention a 3-in-1 Silicone Oil, I don't get out much so I haven't come accross this one. The old original 3-in-1 mineral light machine oil always was good stuff and well suited to metal modelguns so I'll look out for their Silicone version now.

Cleaning that brown muck left by the cap smoke is vital as it can be corrosive. It can leave pitting on steel so the sooner it's removed the better. A toothbrush is a handy tool for scrubbing magazines. It's worth stripping the mag completely periodically to be able to scrub the inside of the mag, thoroughly clean the follower and spring before lightly oiling and reeassembly. Doing that every 4-5 magfulls should be ok but wipe off all muck you can see afteer every firing session.
Silicone Oil, Gun Oil, 3-in-1 can be used as a cleaning agent on steel or other metal gun parts. You can also use a solution of Hot water, White Vinegar and Bicarbonate of Soda to clean all parts, whether ABS HWABS or metal

Articles elsewhere on the forum explain how best to clean cartridges. The same hot water/white vinegar/bicarb of soda solution is well able to neutralise the corrosive smoke deposits and highly recommended. Get yourself a small Ultra Sonic cleaner (£30-£35) for cleaning cartridges and detonator chambers, you won't regret it. If you clean them after each shot, they'll stay clean enough to let you use hot water and washing up liquid in the Ultrasoic cleaner.
A light spray with Silicone oil will help protect them during storage.

Loading magazines by hand can be tough going sometimes. Modelgun mag springs are weaker than real guns' mags and practice will make it easier especially as your thumb gets stronger. Mag loading tools are available but can be expensive as they're made for real MP40s. Even though the mag can hold 32, real guns are seldom loaded past 28. Troops using MP40s and STENS found they'd get fewer jams in the magazine by only loading 28.
You will find though that the more you use it, the stronger your thumb will be, the spring will give a bit more and you'll easily get 30 into your mag by hand.

Real MP40 mags may well fit into the Marushin model but the spring will be too strong causing feed problems and it's possible the mag's feed lips may need modifying too.
Marushin magazines are available so you'll be better off buying them

I've rambled on and on enough I think, go and fill your mag up and fire that lovely MP40 of yours again, enjoy it Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Confirmed that PFCGUK supply & build kits)
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi Kezza,

It's always nice to read about impressions of a model, thanks for the writeup :-)

I have an ABS version that I like to fire. Firing vs decoration is a complex thing, I guess. When I first bought a modelgun, I fired it often because I thought it's made to last. Only after learning that they're not so tough I am more careful. It's partially a matter of price and repair possibilities. Once I get over the fact something has cost so much, I am not that afraid of breaking it ;-) Models that seem easier to repair get more exercise from me - psychology at work here.

For care I use a silicone oil, same as for airsoft models. Various brands, initially Loctite, but recently a local brand, easier to find in shops.

Red residue from caps is quite hard to remove from mags for me too. If left for longer period it eats into coating, then metal, and becomes more permanent, so I try to clean insides immediately after firing by poking with cleaning tips and then scrubbing with a toothbrush. It is not easy with follower catching it, so from time to time I disassemble magazine for a more thorough maintenance.

Back to your experience - I keep now a box of gypsum (not sure right name in English) to fill out any holes ;-) White spot on painted wall looks much better than indentation.
A couple of times I was so convinced that firing does not result in any projectiles, that I completely forgot about empty cartridges. Then a few times I underestimated how far/forcefully they would fly, or even direction. Yup, Walther P38 ejects to the left.

I load cartridges by hand, usually fewer and fewer as I get tired ;-) There are mechanical tools to aid loading, I have one made for STEN, but I still haven't learned to like it enough to use ;-)
Back to top Go down
Kezza

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : West Sussex, England
Registration date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed the review guys.

One thing that I had not done since owning the gun was to get the firing pin out..........or at least I tried to.......it was stuck solid.
A few taps with a hammer freed it up and I could then see why it was stuck.
A lot of corrosion and muck.
After a lot of cleaning and polishing it went back in easier - but it still needed tapping with a hammer to seat it completely.
Should it be a snug fit, or be pushed in by hand, or do I need to do a bit more cleaning and buffing?

Kezza
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 am

Hi Kezza

The Detonator Pin should be a snug fit in the plastic chamber. The ABS model which I'm familiar with relies solely on a snug push fit to secure the pin, there are no grub screws for instance locking it in place as you find with several other modelguns.
I'm assuming the HWABS version has no grub screw either.
If the Det.Pin is a loose fit in the chamber it'll most likely pull out of the chamber during firing so don't rub it down too far with abrasive paper.
The muck and dirt you've seen is residue build up from firing. Left uncleaned, it'll cause persistant jamming during firing and corrode and pit the Det.Pin.
Best thing is to thoroughly clean it after every firing session to be sure.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin HW ABS MP40   Marushin HW ABS MP40 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin HW ABS MP40
Page 1 of 1