MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece

Go down 
+4
kiwigunner
smootik
vernonsmith
jim
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Empty
PostSubject: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:57 am

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 181120101773

Shipped to my house...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 181120101774

This time not a word on the box...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 181120101775

But inside's all the same as previous offers...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 181120101776

Here we go (still inside the bag at the time of writing)!

Have been officially stated this is a B-Grade product so no complaints whatever this will turn out to be...

Last edited by jim on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vernonsmith

Number of posts : 30
Location / Country : Texas
Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 am

Not even opened up by customs for a look? I would think they didn't even x-ray scan it as this is made entirely of metal otherwise the shape will definitely shows up even then I don't think they will be interested Laughing Hong Kong is really a 'free port' where everything comes and goes freely without problem drool...

So much for our 'free' country where everything is under scrutiny... Even legal I wouldn't like customs to mess around with my 'valuables' as parts might go missing or damaged during 'improvised' handling as these are fragile 'fake' stuff nothing robust like the 'real steel'.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 2:31 am

Notice the blue sticker on the first pic? The Japanese Customs acknowledged what was inside so this is the "Check Seal" for Int'l Packages confirming:

1) This is some dangerous goods;
2) The total value inside the package exceeds ¥200,000 (strange as it is only half of this amount)

So - maybe the Japanese Customs did inspected it but then they treated it with tender care unlike what happens to smootik now...

Basically in HK as long as you don't link with real guns and gunpowder (and drugs of course) then it is really a "free port" (at least for the moment - don't know what we'll be when the Communist steps into HK affairs further)...

Strange the US treats replicas in a way much stricter than real steel...mostly due to commercial interests Question
Back to top Go down
vernonsmith

Number of posts : 30
Location / Country : Texas
Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 6:29 am

Don't mind me asking Jim, what's the A grade and B grade things about??
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 5:23 am

Actually no such thing as A-Grade Shoei guns (as assumed every Shoei gun out to the market is A Grade) - but in this context the normal Shoei guns can be regarded as "A-Grade" and these FG42s are "B-Grade"...earlier Tomio san of Shoei found some NG parts inside their factory so he decided to build some 20 pieces out of it for some of us who keeps asking him to make new Type II (these parts were discoloured/dent/scratches etc...some of the bolts having problems as well making it unloadable): Tomio san stated it clearly before sale...and these sells with some 20% discount Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for sharing :-) This really is a limited edition for real collectors =)
Do these come with serial numbers like the normal models?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 am

Sorry to say I still have it in the box - maybe I shall leave it till "Boxing Day" Very Happy ...

These guns are built out of NG parts so I won't mind too much about the details...will show you all about it then...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 am

Tomio san may explain better than I do - excerpt of original email:

Quote :
We use the parts which were in the factory, and are assembling the second model of FG42 T2 now. The parts used for these are NG (No good) last time at the time of manufacture. (A bad measure, a wound, color fault, etc.)

Please check each attachment picture. Many models have a bad color. And we disliked adjustment of a trigger system and cut the tip of interruptor. (Pic FG42 T2 second model 10.jpg) By this, these models do not make "disconnect" with a semiautomatic mode. However, in the semi automatic mode, it stops in a "closed position", and a bolt stops respectively like real gun in the full automatic mode in an "open position."

No parts have lack except processing of interruptor. The impression of these models is totally genuine FG42 as much as it looks old.

We make the about 15 pcs preparations of this time. Probably 20pcs cannot be prepared...

Then the "official" images:

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel1
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel2
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel3
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel4
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel5
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel6
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel7
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel8
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel9
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel10
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel11

Jim
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I would gladly have one of these, no matter the details :-) Thanks for sharing pictures, I enjoy FG42 as probably the best looking (for me) rifle out there.
Question about serial number was just out of curiosity if these "B-grade" are within normal series, without any numbers, or marked otherwise as different.

Keep it in box as long as you need :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 6:59 am

If I understand correctly - when it is in semi-automatic mode, the bolt cannot hold back...haven't try if this gun can cycle rounds (several sold on the "Victory" Military Show last Sunday in Japan definitely won't)...

But I strongly believe new ones will be out next - after these old parts were cleared this time...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 am

Here We Go - some of you guys might be still eagerly waiting for the pics of my latest collection (and others might have already forgotten the whole thing since I've dragged so long for this Laughing )...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101843
Still OK for me to hold it single-handedly for a while - but this is obviously heavier than Type I...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101844
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101845
The first time I've seen a ejection port cover designed as a "gate"...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101846
Opened! Note the cut on the bolt - result of production fault (NG part)...the entire bolt might break in half from there if I dare enough loading dummy rounds then slam it too many times...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101847
Attempted to insert the supplied mag slightly thicker than expected (therefore certain amount of force needed)...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101848
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101849
Unlike Type I, this time the bipod can swing left and right in order to absorb some recoil force for real steel (also front & back as well for the much heavier & powerful MG42)...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101850
The black colour on the "hook" already faded out-of-the-box...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101851
Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101852
Extremely tight selector switch and the not-too-functionable trigger safety switch...

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece FG42T2secondmodel10
Tried to cock it in both semi & full auto modes - maybe the tip of the interruptor of mine have not been completely grounded, therefore I can still cock the bolt during semi-auto mode (after pulling back I've to push the bolt down a bit).

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece 271220101853
Finally - Type I & Type II together! Thanks for viewing!
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:59 am

Fine pictures Jim!

Good to see the FG at last! I'm still saving for one!

Do you think you can get the bolt repaired or replaced at some stage?

Kiwigunner!

PS Happy New Year for 2011!
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 am

Sweeeeet... =)

On a separate note: when on display, do you protect models from dust?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks again for sharing these detailed photos Jim.

The Fg42 is a beautiful looking gun, I would like one for my collection too Very Happy

Is it possible to buy spare parts Question Could you replace the bolt with a new one Question

I wish you a very happy new year, I'm looking forwards to seeing the next addition to your wonderful collection

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Great review! Thank you! Hopefully you can replace the bolt some day. Maybe a skilled mechanic can make a replacement part?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 am

Glad most of you appreciate it - Here I wish everyone of you a prosperous 2011!

Kiwi - maybe I shall leave the bolt the way it is...I'm not too skilled to carry out such acts...for the Mkb42 that you'd spotted: get it while you can!

Smootik - this is a headache for me - I've to wipe the guns hanging on the wall whenever possible (air quality in HK isn't so good and dust build up pretty quick)...

Cerwyn - no problem at all! My pleasure as always Very Happy ...spare part wise I'm afraid not - if Shoei have fine parts for these guns then he can sell these batch without any discount...Tomio san have already make the most of it...

With new modelgun offer is way less impressive than GBB I'll somehow introduce some great GBBs for all you guys...stay tuned Very Happy ...

Finally Madmike - quite unlikely for bolt replacement...even if it is possible the bolt will definitely cost me another fortune...

If sometime here (notably from Germany / Canada) who can get their hands on real steel Dittrich WWII repro weapons (basically what Shoei & Hudson already made) I want to find out more about these (basically what I'd gathered now is that the quality of Dittrich guns are less than perfect No )...and the wood colour looks ugly (too pale)...

Back to top Go down
modelgunfan

Number of posts : 22
Location / Country : Wisconsin/USA
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi guys, are you sure the cut in the bolt is a manufacturing defect? It seems to me all the pictures of type I and II have this cut on the bolt in them. Jim, does your type I has this cut on the bolt?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 3:39 am

Hi Modelgunfan,

The "hole is a normal part of FG42 bolts (Type 1 and 2).....but if you look closely at Jim's photo, you can see defects around it.
The force on the bolt slamming home is very high, so maybe repeated use will cause similar cracks due to metal fatigue of the Zinc alloy. Question

I've taken the liberty of posting some photos for comparison. sunny

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Dscf0009

Hope you won't mind Jim!
Cheers,
Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 am

MANY THANKS KIWI you get the points Very Happy ...unlike real steel, since these Shoei guns are dummies only so they don't have to use the same grade of steel...and it's the cracks underneath that got me worried (it continues to the other side which my photo haven't shown - less seriously though)...

Tomio already stated these Type IIs used better parts among the NG parts prior to purchase...so I cannot complain if it breaks easier than usual - fair enough Wink ...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:59 am

modelgunfan wrote:
Hi guys, are you sure the cut in the bolt is a manufacturing defect? It seems to me all the pictures of type I and II have this cut on the bolt in them. Jim, does your type I has this cut on the bolt?

Cheers.

Hi modelgunfan,

I'd compared both Type I & II and the cut/hole on my Type I looks more natural than Type II (without mentioning the cracks Neutral )...

If someday Tomio decides to make brand new Type II he has to count me in Wink ...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Nice review, I wondered about the B grade guns, thank you for sharing your experiences.

If it is any consolation my Shoei later model Fg42 is clunky in operation, too.
Really tight tolerances - in not a good way - the bolt slowly slides closed. The safety and fire select are just awful!
It is a good looking replica, but certainly not as real feeling as their Mp44 series.

Obviously as you know, in semi auto it fires from a closed bolt, in full auto it fires from an open bolt.

BTW - the MG42 and Fg42 fired the same ammunition - 7.92mm "fur MG" - neither was more powerful.

Thanks for posting,

Pit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece   Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strictly Limited B-Grade Masterpiece
Page 1 of 1