MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thompson 1921 Questions

Go down 
+3
DOC
jim
Fearless
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fearless

Number of posts : 28
Location / Country : USA MN
Registration date : 2011-02-07

Thompson 1921 Questions Empty
PostSubject: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:26 am

Upon trying to remove the foregrip of my Thompson, I found there was no screw holding it on! After an hour of searching and looking with a flashlight, I concluded something was amiss. I tapped it with soft face hammer and it fell off! I now know what the little piece of metal is that I found attached to the top of the vertical foregrip I wanted to put on, it was part of the rifle foregrip mount that someone broke off. The instead glued the original one back on!!

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_4646

Now, how does one remove all the old glue from the inside of the grip, and can the broken piece be brazed back on. I am a very proficient welder/brazer, but will the metal hold up to the heat?

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_4647

What is up with this s/n being stamped in ink, and not engraved or stamped in the metal? Are others like this and is it normal?

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_4652

And finally what is up with the area that looks like it was milled? It makes me think some kind of data was removed? Is this normal? I did find one photo that had: Caliber 45. MGC Patent Blowback Cartridges in the area that looks milled. If this is the case, why was it removed? Legal reasons perhaps?

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_4653

Everything I seem to buy or acquire always seems to be other than normal or totally messed up. Please help if you can as I am wondering if this is worth restoring back to original or should I just make it a cool wall decoration?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:23 am

Quote :
I did find one photo that had: Caliber 45. MGC Patent Blowback Cartridges in the area that looks milled. If this is the case, why was it removed? Legal reasons perhaps?

Definitely...especially in the US Twisted Evil ...
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:55 am

1) very doubtful the part could be brazed back on, Zinc wont take too much heat.may have to be repaired another way
2) Serial number has been added for effect , this area is usally blank
3) Yes as has been mentioned the info removed for the US market

DOC
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 am

Hi feerless,

I have used some low melting point solder/brazing rods with mixed success Suspect as Doc says the melting point of the cast zinc is way below most aluminium (or aluminum for our cousins across the pond) repair solutions No

The only thing that came close is this
http://www.muggyweld.com/potmetal.html

When it works Rolling Eyes it's good Very Happy but it's not got a great structural strength No so considering where the damage is I'd go for another repair solution study

Hope this helps

8Ace

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am

Original series of MGC Thompson did not feature any serial number. There was just a blank area below "MODEL OF 1921", quite a confusing thing.

MGC did add serial number (not unique I think) and different markings (painted, not engraved) for a special limited edition.
Your model doesn't seem to be from that edition. Most likely the importer (RMI/CA) marked it additionally before selling.
It was also probably at the same time that the other part of markings was removed due to licensing (?) issues.
Many, if not most modelguns imported to US were either manufactured separately without any markings (Colt Woodsman, Luger P08) or had them removed by the importer.
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am

Mine also has a milled section, so I'm guessing that it is not US specific.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am

Maybe it was done on any export in Japan already, rather than import into US?
Just thinking loud.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am

But looking at other MGC export pistols (i.e. M1911A1 / various revolvers etc) most of the real steel reference have already been avoided...therefore the milled section might just be an extra precaution by RMI & Co...and Dan's Thompson might be shipped from the US beforehand scratch (as we haven't seen Thompsons from the UK or other places having the calibre milled away)...wild guess...
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 am

Actually, I think you might be right about mine, Jim.

I believe Wellington Surplus were importing all their replica/model guns from Collectors Armory in the US, because I remember most of their hand guns at the time having RMI badging or in RMI boxes.
Back to top Go down
Fearless

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 am

Unfortunately I think all of you are correct, I just can’t figure out what a little bit of text or data on a model gun would cause such an issue with authorities or even the original firearm manufactures that it would have to milled off. It really detracts from the look of the model. I must be deft. I imagine it is going to get insanely worse in the future. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 am

Ozguns wrote:
Actually, I think you might be right about mine, Jim.

I believe Wellington Surplus were importing all their replica/model guns from Collectors Armory in the US, because I remember most of their hand guns at the time having RMI badging or in RMI boxes.

Based on the assumption that Australia (believed NZ as well) would only place small orders (well compared to UK/US) that Japan wouldn't be interested...also easier for Aussies to communicate with Yankees...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 am

Fearless wrote:
Unfortunately I think all of you are correct, I just can’t figure out what a little bit of text or data on a model gun would cause such an issue with authorities or even the original firearm manufactures that it would have to milled off. It really detracts from the look of the model. I must be deft. I imagine it is going to get insanely worse in the future. Twisted Evil

Too many legal eagles in the US (especially the Big Apple & "Kalifornia") who are willing to help out idiots getting hefty payouts...just don't want to risk some clever individuals forcing in a live .45 into the modelguns and then "BANG" because ".45" was stamped on the toy...
Back to top Go down
Fearless

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 6:06 pm

hehe, yep. and yet those same kind of people have sharp objects in their kitchen! In the end we will have to revert back to eating with our fingers and throwing rocks.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Here's an alternative solution to fix your bits.
I have used a local product called "KNEAD-IT" with great success. I'm sure there will be a local brand of similar in your country. It's a two part polymer - with various densities available. I use a "steel" density.

Thompson 1921 Questions Kneadit

It comes in a 25mm plastic tube container wrapped in plastic. It is composed of two parts - a soft central core (hardener) and a soft outer skin (epoxy). To use it you just open the tube, remove the plastic a little and slice off as much as you need.

Then you knead it and mix the two components with your fingers (use gloves tho). Once thoroughly mixed you have about 10 - 15 minutes before it sets hard. And I mean HARD!

It can be molded to any shape while you use it; filed, drilled or sanded when set - and it's as hard as steel!
Obviously you need very clean surfaces to bond to - so sand the areas you want to join and clean with meths!

Good luck! 'cheers'

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Fearless

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm

It's funny you mention this, as after reviewing repair option with several people, "glueing" the piece back on appears to be the only real option. Unfortunately I will not be able to use my vertical foregrip as the side load stress would be to great and it would break again. So I will have use the military style foregrip which is ok, since I plan to keep this in the scabbard for my 1941 Indian 741. I actually thought I was going to have to use a real Thompson for the display so this is better anyway. Regardless, once done, I will not be able to remove the foregrip, although not sure why I would need to anyway. I was going to use Epoxy, but this product looks promising so I will get some today and post how it works next week or so. Thanks for the info!! alien
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Just thought I'd post a of pic for members who might need a visualization: 'Shocked'

First totally clean the fracture areas with a wire brush and some meths; removing all corrosion etc.
Next hold the broken parts in rigidly place using wire to duct-tape.
Then apply beads of mixed polymer putty around the fracture areas, using enough putty to fillet and gusset around the breaks, and leave it all to set. Say, 24 hours.
Finally shape the dried polymer, leaving sufficient gussets for strength to reinforce the break areas.

Thompson 1921 Questions Thompsonrepair

Hopefully it will end up looking similar to this.
You might have to trim a little wood from your grip to accommodate the gussets.

By the way, for removing glue from the grip, I find a liberal spray with meths softens and/or weakens most glues to make removal easier - but it depends on the glue! 'Idea'
Hope this helps.

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Fearless

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 2:24 am

I finally got the time to repair my Thompson. Here a a few photos of what and how.

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_5757

I used 3/8 stock I had from a trailer project, shaved it till it fit inbetween the barrel finds and the existing mount. I drilled and tapped, with the forward screw going all the way into the barrel.

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_5754

I used a longer mount screw and continued in into the new stock for added strength. It took a bit of slow going to maintain the same angle as the original. Hopefully in a month or so I will have time to strip and reblue the entire gun. I may even fill the gap between the broken piece and the back, but we'll see.

Thompson 1921 Questions IMG_5756
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 9:34 am

Hi Fearless,
I was just reading your last post two days ago, and wondering what had happened! Question study
It looks like a good solid fix! Good job. sunny

If you want to "tidy" the joint up a little, then I still think the metal epoxy putty is the way to go! You may wish to compare with this repair job post Arrow https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2863-mgc-m73-repairs; fairly similar, but with some epoxy added!

You should get a lot of use and enjoyment out of your Thompson fore-grip now!
Cool! Cool

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
Fearless

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks, yes, I think t hat will work to fill it in. Probably a month before I can get to it but I look forward to the project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thompson 1921 Questions   Thompson 1921 Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thompson 1921 Questions
Page 1 of 1