MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish

Go down 
+3
metradio
smootik
Cerwyn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Empty
PostSubject: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Marushin UZI - Restoring Finish

Everyone that has owned a Marushin UZI will know how easily the factory paint finish falls off all the metal parts.
Having grown tired of seeing paint flaking off every time I handled my UZI I decided to attempt a complete restoration.

This particular example is an all metal factory built type, the trigger group and magazine well is all metal as opposed to more recent ones that have ABS trigger group / mag'well assemblies.
The Receiver and Top Cover plate are cast Aluminium Alloy, while the rest of the metal parts are Zinc Alloy. Magazine and Folding Stock are steel. The only plastic parts are pistol and foregrips as per the real gun.

Here are a couple of photographs showing how untidy the model had become:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Pbucket

First task was to strip the model completely. Basic stripdown guide can be found here:

The only additional tasks being Stock, Receiver Top Plate and Cocking Handle, Foregrips, Ejector and Rear Sight assembly removal

My plan was to use Birchwood Casey's Aluminium Black fluid to restore all the Aluminium and Zinc parts, then Birchwood's Re-Bluing Compound on steel components.

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Birchw10

All these compounds are readily available on e-Bay or your local Gunsmith. Steel Wool, wet and Dry Abrasive Paper and Wire Brushes (steel and brass) are also required.
Once the model is completely stripped, all the old paint has to be removed using Paint Stripper. Follow the manufacturers' instructions carefully as paint stripper can be caustic and gives off harmful fumes. Once the stripper has the old paint bubbling off, remove it with steel wool and wire brushes.
More than one application of paint stripper may be needed to remove ALL traces of the paint.

Next, rinse all parts with fresh clean water to neutralise the paint stripper. Begin preparing all metal surfaces for refinishing by rubbing down with wet and dry abrasive paper and plenty of soapy water. Use medium grade abrasive paper followed by Fine grade to achieve a good smooth polished surface finish. Steel wool and soap impregnated kitchen scouring pads can be used to good effect.
Knurled metal parts such as the barrel nut and cocking handle need rubbing clean with wire brushes and steel wool.

The parts should look like this:

Receiver:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Receiv10

Top Cover:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to11

Barrel Nut:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_ba10

Cocking Handle:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_co10

Detonator Chamber:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de10

Bolt Carrier:

For best results, Birchwood Casey recommend De-greasing for which I used Engine Degreaser rinsed off with warm water. Then prime the Aluminium and Zinc Parts with their Blue and Rust Remover.
***Follow the instructions very carefully as these chemicals give off dangerous and toxic fumes. Work outside, wear gloves and eye protection***

As instructed, rinse the primed metal parts with cold water and dry thoroughly.

Next step is to use the Aluminium Black. Again follow instructions very carefully. Apply the fluid which is a thin light blue liquid, to the zinc alloy parts with cotton wool balls or Cotton Buds (Q-Tips). Apply one light even coat at a time. Chemical reaction will make the Zinc turn Dark Grey/Black immediately. Allow to stand for a minute or two, following the instructions, then rinse under cold water. Dry immediately.
Repeat this process 3 or 4 times. Each successive light even coat will darken the finish so don't be tempted to apply the chemical too heavily.
After 3 or 4 coats, you'll notice the finish will appear slightly uneven, possibly discoloured looking almost like oil floating on water. Do not dispair, the cure for this is the last step... rub light mineral oil (3 in 1 or other light machine oil) into the blackened parts... the difference will amaze you Exclamation

Finished Blackened Zinc Parts:

Barrel and Nut:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_ba12Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Pbucket

Barrel Nut:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_ba13Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Pbucket

Detonator Chamber:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de15
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de16
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de18
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de17Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Pbucket
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_de19
Cocking Handle:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish PbucketMarushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_co12

For whatever reason, despite the fact that Birchwood's Aluminium Black clearly states "Aluminium" on the label, I could not achieve anything like satisfactory results when trying to blacken the Receiver, Top Cover and Bolt Carrier scratch I'm still puzzled why this could be. Surface preparation, degreasing and priming were all done as per instructions but when the fluid was applied it would leave patchy surfaces or simply not react at all. It had worked perfectly on Zinc, but not this Aluminium Exclamation There may be another metal in the Alloy used, who knows, but it clearly wasn't going to react as I'd hoped.
This left no other choice but to paint the Receiver and Top Cover. Knowing how easily Marushin's paint fell off, I wanted to make sure paint would stay firmly attached this time.

I decided to use a primer specifically for Aluminium and a compatable finish coat. Plasti-kote's Primer and Satin Super Black looked promising

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Paint_10

To make sure the metal surface had a good keyed surface for paint to adhere too, I had the receiver and top cover plate lightly grit blasted. The parts came out of the blaster like this:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_bl10

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re11

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re12

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_st10

The metal takes on a grey, matt appearance feeling slightly rough to touch. Notice though that the blasting process is only lightly done. The "UZI" markings on the receiver are still clearly visible:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to10

Make sure all traces of grit are removed from the parts before proceeding with primer paint. For best results, apply 2 or 3 light thin coats of Primer. This avoids runs in paint, and helps give an even thickness to the surface. Follow Plasti-kote's instructions for best results.

Primed Parts:

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Primed11

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Primed10

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Receiv12

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Receiv11

All parts were left to dry completely for over a week.

Plastikote's Satin Super Black was my choice of top coat and the time had come to start painting. Again, light, thin coats are the key to success. Following Plastikote's instructions the first light coat was sprayed on. The paint is touch-dry in 1 hour and successive coats must be applied within 4 hrs to stop wrinkling according to the label on the can.

I knew I couldn't apply the 2-3 light coats I thought I'd need in one day as parts would need turning over so I settled on spraying to cover all surfaces with an even coat on the first day and return to it in a day or two.

The first coat had dried thoroughly during the couple of days I'd left it so before applying the second coat the surfaces were lightly rubbed over with fine wire wool.

The second light coat was sprayed onto visible surfaces, left for an hour or more, parts turned and lightly sprayed until all surfaces were covered.

In total, 3 coats were applied. 

The last coat was allowed to dry for 3 days before careful reassembly could begin.

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re15

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re14

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re16

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re17

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re18

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to12
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to13
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to14
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_to15

The finished UZI...

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re25

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re27

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re27

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re26

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re28

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re29

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re31

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re32

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re34

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re30

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re35

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re33

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re36

As a finishing touch, a very small amount of household Vinyl Matt White paint was dabbed over and into the stamping marks on Receiver, Sights and above the selector switch. Applied with a soft cloth then immediately wiped across to remove the excess...

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re21

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re22

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re23

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzi_re24

The spring steel plate beneath the rear flip sight was stripped of it's original black paint and blued using Birchwood Casey's Perma-Blue Compound. By carefully following the manufacturer's instructions, 3 applications of the paste using a Cotton-bud gave a very pleasing finish.

I'm delighted with the end results. My UZI looks like new again Very Happy I'm confident the Aluminium Blackened parts will stay looking good with careful handling. Time will tell if Plasti-kote's paint will prove longer lasting than Marushin's factory finish.

Some Before & After photos:

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : images updated using Servimg)
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Wow! what a difference!

Cerwyn, huge thanks for taking time to document the process and posting it here. I now feel more confident to try the same thing with my UZI model, especially seeing the results, as well as having all steps described in more detail than manufacturer's label Smile
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Nice one Cerwyn, the only comments I can think of are:
For de-greasing small parts I use Dry Cleaning fluid applied with kitchen paper roll tissue.
Highligting the gun markings can be done with a child's white drawing wax crayon rubbed into the markings, it can finished off by rubbing over with gun oil, or completly removed with soap and water or dry cleaning fluid/de-greaser..

Reminds me I will have to strip my deactivated L1A1 Self Loading Rifle down and repaint it black. The original finish is a high temp black paint, but where parts have been welded to deactivate it the paint has stripped off.

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 am

Nice one Cerwyn !!!!
Good work!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks very much folks Very Happy I'm very happy with the results, so much so I've a couple of other modelguns in need of restoration that I'll tackle with more confidence.

Mike, thanks for the tips re degreasing and using crayon to highlight stamped markings. I never knew wax crayon could be used like that Very Happy

I've changed the photos for larger ones, hopefully they'll show the new finish off a bit better.

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Excellent finish Very Happy looks like all your hard work has paid off cheers

8ace
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

Inspired by Cerwyn's results I've attempted to do a similar repaint .... and the final black coats have been applied. A couple more and I'll post the finished Uzi photos shortly!
I thought members might be interested in the comparisons, Question
Just a quick series of photos emulating the great job Cerwyb did, with a couple of differences. I blued my Uzi bolt instead of painting it; and sand blasting the receiver and cover was not an option for me, so I felt them with slightly rough sanded surfaces before priming.

RUST NEVER SLEEPS
Evil or Very Mad ... and I think it's worth the effort to restore these iconic modelguns to better condition! sunny

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 01uzi-1

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 02aUZI Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 03uzibarrelforesightcover

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 03uzitiredpaintjob

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 05uzimorerust
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 06UzirustMarushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 07uzirustystock
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 09bdetpincleaned

Examples of Sanding & Cleaning

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 08Uzicoverstrippedcleaned

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 09UziCovercomparedtoreciever

Blued barrel & bolt - and other parts primed - left for 2 weeks before final black top coats.

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 10uziprimer

Stay tuned folks, for the next installment!: the return of the Black Coats! affraid

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:34 am

I tried bluing my UZIs bolt carrier but the metal wouldn't react at all with Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black, same as the Receiver and Top Cover hence the need to paint them.

Which bluing compound did you use on yours please Kiwi Question

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Cerwyn: I used Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue paste on the barrel & the bolt! 3 coats!
My bolt is zinc; is yours aluminium? Question scratch

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I can only assume my UZI's bolt carrier is Aluminium. All the Zinc parts, including the barrel, reacted very well with Birchwood's Aluminium Black, but the Aluminium receiver and top cover shrugged the liquid off like water off a duck's back

The Bolt carrier behaved just like the receiver but did just about start to take colour. However, as soon as the carrier was rubbed gently all the colour wiped off instantly.

Perma Blue paste didn't work on the carrier or receiver either. That seems far better suited to steel which it blues instantly

I have since bought a Zinc Blue/Black liquid from Francky which needs to be polished with a fine abrasive paste. This worked really well on my MGC MP40 zinc barrel so I may try it on the UZI's bolt carrier

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks Cerwyn. That's good to know....I'd like to get some to try if it's not too expensive! Question

Her's a look at most of the bits coated in Matt black,; think I might do final coats in a gloss?? What did you use? Is super satin a full gloss paint?
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish B1
The stock block (in the photo above) will be blued to see if I like it. If not; then black paint it will be! cheers

Kowigunner

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:46 pm

The Satin Black is mid-way between matt and gloss (the only way I can describe it really:) )

It is very close to the finish on my KWC Mini UZi (Co2 Airsoft GBB).

The bluing liquid supplied by Francky is "Indy Zinc Blue", the polish to finish it off is "Medicom Kingbright" Both work out at about £9 - £10 each

The Bluing liquid is as thin as water and I needed to apply several coats to achieve a dark black/blue colour. To minimise waste I used a plastic container and reapplied fluid that flowed off the barrel with cottn wool. I still ended up using about 1/5th of the bottle on the MP40 barrel alone.

The polish on the other hand is used very sparingly, that'll last for ages yet.

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks for the details Cerwyn. I took your advice and made the final top coats a satin black. I'll try and get the bluing chemicals from Francky and compare the finishes. For now, here are the some photos of my refurbished Uzi - a few differences to your magnificent end product, but finally it looks like new. Very Happy

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish GripMarushin UZI ... Restoring Finish SightsMarushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzirenewed02

THE FINAL REFURBISHED UZI COMPARED TO IT'S ORIGINAL CONDITION
Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Uzirenewed01 Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish 01UZI-3
So thanks again Cerwyn for proving the inspiration.

Last weekend I went to the Auckland Gun Show and got my hot little hands on a real Uzi (with Hebrew markings) for comparison. The real Uzi is much heavier as members have mentioned. Those plastic parts of the pistol grip really make the Marushin lighter! Sad

I didn't want to leave the real Uzi behind, but the price tag of NZ$8000 was way far above my means! Sad Sad Sad
Anyway, what would I do with it? I can use the modelgun Uzi more often, indoors, and not cost $2 a bullet to shoot! cheers
Marushin did a great job in their modelgun copy!

Kiwigunner

PS Along the way I discovered why the folding stock kept dropping unexpectedly! scratch
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t3117-marushin-uzi-loose-folding-stock

Last edited by kiwigunner on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo correction; add link)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Photos updated with Servimg

Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: Marushin Uzi   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 am

You did a fantastic job! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 9:44 am

Chris Rush wrote:
You did a fantastic job! Thanks.
Thanks very much Chris! I am really pleased with the end result. All that work and time was well worth it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish   Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin UZI ... Restoring Finish
Page 1 of 1