MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1921 realistic re-finish

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

1921 realistic re-finish Empty
PostSubject: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:08 am

Hi there,

I was at an auction just recently where they were selling a 1921 Thompson made by MGC, except someone had clearly refinished the wood and metal to make it more like a real 1921 - which were beautifully finished (inside and out).

The metal had been re-blued to an almost mirror shine and the wood was polished and varnished to deep luster.

The wood is relatively straightforward, but has anyone tried to refinish one of these zinc modelguns, particularly the MGC Thompson 1921 to a deep gloss "master" blue finish?

I have a 1921 that I would love to get to look like one of the gangster guns, so I am going to give it a shot.

I have already replaced the Cutts compensator with a regular fore sight, installed a new style bolt, firing pin and working drum mag.
Pic of 1921 at top - with later Cutts compensator fitted - (I did a google search, I was not allowed to photograph the stuff at auction)
Pic of 1928 style finish below it.
http://www.pdhsc.com/class_iii2.htm

Let me know, I will go at it myself if the zinc will hold a shine, anyone tried this, have any helpful info?

Cheers,

Jesse.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Jesse

Yes, the MGC Thompson will re-blue beautifully. Have a look at Gatling's post here:

After trying Birchwood Casey's Aluminium Black on my UZI, I think you'll get closer to a mirror blue/black using Indy Zinc Blue available from Francky and Shazhib. The final touch for that shine is an abrasive cutting paste also available from these two gents.

For more detail see kiwigunner's posts added to https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2824-marushin-uzi-restoring-finish

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 am

Thank you very much, for showing me that link, Cerwyn,

I actually remember reading it on Mark's old site, I had forgotten about it, though, lol.

That is a great bit of info, and some great bluing tips. However, the original 1921 had a considerably better finish, I am just not sure zinc will allow a mirror finish.
My 1921 is in very nice condition, as is, and I probably wouldn't improve on it.

I'm going to chat to a gun refinisher here, see what they say.

Thanks again.

JJ
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 am

No problem Jesse Wink

I wasn't convinced a deep mirror sheen could be achieved at home until I saw a MGC Sterling that had it's Zinc barrel finished to such a lovely deep blue/black sheen.

This encouraged me to try re-finishing my MGC68 MP40 zinc barrel.

The first job was to remove all the old finish, easily done with wire wool and some abrasive paper. Like everything else, achieving a perfect smooth surface is the key. Birchwood Casey's Aluminium Black applied in three coats dried to a dissapointing matt black, not what I wanted at all.

I asked Francky for advice and he suggested the Indy Zinc Blue and Medicom Kingbright polish. He was good enough to give me instructions how to apply the Bluing compound too. It's very thin liquid, and needs several coats to achieve a dark black but it's worth it. Each coat is applied with cotton wool directly over the last coat, just keep iping the liquid on evenly until you're happy with the colour. Rinse with water to neutralise it, then dry thoroughly. Leave it for 24 hrs to "cure".

It'll look uneven, a mix of matt, satin type gloss which is slightly offputting BUT gently wiping over this with a soft cloth and a little of the Medicom Kingbright paste reveals a beautiful glossy deep finish beneath.

The Thompson has a good amount of flat even surfaces so time spent rubbing down with wire wool and abrasive paper shoul give a nice surface to start with. Barrel fins will be a challenge but it'll be time well spent;)

I'll be refnishing my old open barrel Thompson sometime soon and I'm confident that Indy Zinc Blue and Medicom's polish will be perfect.

If you do talk to a Gunsmith, let us know what compounds and products he suggests please and what kind of finish can be achieved Question

Thanks JJ

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you for the thorough step by step, sir.

All useful information.

JJ
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

Found a link to the auction house.
The Thompson doesn't look as good as I remember, funny how that happens.

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=3165&Filter=Firearms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1921 realistic re-finish   1921 realistic re-finish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1921 realistic re-finish
Page 1 of 1