MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson's STEN MkII

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 am

Post by Claymore

THE STEN

Hudson's STEN MkII IMAG0005

HISTORY

The sten gun derives its name from the designers (R.V. Shepard and H.J. Turpin) so the S and the T, then the EN from Enfield the location of the Royal small arms factory at Enfield lock in London.
Ten sten came to existance due to the British not having an adequate machine gun in the second world war. It was developed in mid 1941 and was a blowback operated weapon that fired from an open bolt. It was of crude design and notorious for accidental discharge.
There were in total 5 varients of the sten and for all its problems stayed in service until the 1960's when the sterling took over.

THE HUDSON STEN

The Hudson model of the sten is an all metal version and from what i can make out a pretty accurate model.

Mine was supplied by the one and only Francky and as with all his models, was in A1 condition.
The gun came boxed and as on the real sten the magazine housing can be moved so it covers and protects the chamber, so when you take the gun out of the box you first have to move the housing into position. this is simple to do and the housing locks into position by means of a spring loaded pin.

The stock which is also separate is then clipped into place, again easy to do. The chamber/detonator housing also has to be fitted again easy to do as it is simply place in the barrel and the pin that locks the mag housing also locks this into place.
The advantage of all this is not just protection for the gun but means the sten can be broken down and hidden in small places, a good thing for some during the war.

LOOKS

Lets be honest the sten is an ugly gun and it is one i had no intention of buying but the more i looked at pics of it saw some vid of it firing and the fact that it is full metal, i decided i had to get one.

In the flesh it is still ugly, it definatly is of a crude and simplistic design but then it was made in a hurry and very cheaply, however the looks grow on you.

Hudson, over the years, has made 2 stens, an old and a new one and there are a few slight differences which i will talk about later.

Hudson's STEN MkII IMAG0010

FIRING

Well this is an all metal model so you can lube it with gun oil, you only need to oil the bolt and spray a bit in the bolt and recoil spring housing and thats that. The barrel is blocked on this model so no smoke out of it i am afraid.
The rounds are cp style and take a 7mm cap, so fill the mag with 32 rounds although i rarely put in more than 25, put the mag on and this loads from the left side, pull the bolt back and there you go.
This is a single and full auto gun and the selector is a push button above and to the front of the trigger.

So what happens when you pul the trigger, fun thats what. This gun may be ugly but man does it fire well, single shot works no problem but full auto is where the fun is, squeeze the trigger and the sten will fire until the maf is empty no problem. After about 3 mags you may get a jam but i reckon you could get a good amount through this model before it would get to dirty and fail to fire.

What is more impressive though is its burst fire capability. A lot of modelguns will fire fine when you keep the trigger depressed but dont work well on burst and tend to jam, not the sten burst fire is greatand very controllable, 2 shots 5, whatever you want and no jams and that makes for some great fun when firing.

But thats not all its loud not just in the cap noise but in the sound the bolt makes, thia is obviously due to the fact that it is a metal bolt hitting a metal chamber so you get that real gun sound, but it is also due to the bolt being large which gives a greater area to hit the chamber (the thompson has a very small area that hits the chamber) that makes the sound more impressive, also the size of the bolt gives it another plus, RECOIL! oh yes, you can feel the gun moving in your hands and this adds a big plus to the overall effect.

MODEL DIFFERENCES

Well i said Hudson had made 2 versions, the first sten had a barrel by-pass so smoke would vent through the barrel, the new model's barrel is blocked. The old model's barrel shroud (the metal vented hand gaurd around the barrel) is kept in place by 2 screws on the new model the shroud is threaded and screws to the body of the gun.
The new model also has a type of safety, the bolt cocking handle can be pushed in when the bolt is fully forward and this locks the bolt in place, the old model does not have this.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/claymore/IMAG0012.jpg

PROBLEMS

Well what model gun does not have a problem or two? well, this sten has some as well. But thankfully, minor ones.
At the rear of the gun, where the stock fits to the body of the gun there is a cap which retains the recoil spring. Inside the body, are 2 recessed lugs and the cap is pushed in and twisted round, 2 prongs on the cap then fit into the lugs and the recoil spring is retained.

Now, for some reason, the lugs break off which means the spring cannot be retained, this however is not a problem because when you fire the stock locks into place and so holds the cap into place, you just have to be careful when removing the stock so as not to let the spring jump out. The problem has absolutly no effect on the firing or performance of the gun.

The 2nd problem is the trigger spring, its is too long and so when you pull the tigger it does not pull the ser enough to release the bolt. Strangely enough, it only effects the trigger when full auto is selected, single shot is fine.
This is an easy problem to cure, either pull the spring up a bit so as to shorten it or find a better shorter spring and the problem is solved.

OVERALL

Well, i think you will be able to see that i love this model, it's metal, weighs a good amount, fires great, makes a good noise and you even get recoil, what more can you ask from a model gun. Its ugly yes, but the fact that firing it is so much fun i can ignore that. It does not seem to wreck rounds like some other full metal models which means those precious rounds last longer.

This has got to be a must for every collector who likes to fire their models regulary, i thought the MGC Thompson was the best but it only wins in the looks department for me the sten wins in all others.

Hudson's STEN MkII IMAG0006

The sten had mixed opinions in the real world and this "ode to the sten" i think covers why it was both hated and loved and lasted so long.

You wicked piece of vicious tin!
Call you a gun? Don't make me grin.
You're just a bloated piece of pipe.
You couldn't hit a hunk of tripe.
But when you're with me in the night,
I'll tell you pal, you're just alright!

Each day I wipe you free of dirt.
Your dratted corners tear my shirt.
I cuss at you and call you names,
You're much more trouble than my dames.
But boy, do I love to hear you yammer
When you 're spitting lead in a business manner.

You conceited pile of salvage junk.
I think this prowess talk is bunk.
Yet if I want a wall of lead
Thrown at some Jerry's head
It is to you I raise my hat;
You're a damn good pal...
You silly gat!

Click here for claymores Sten video: http://www.mp40modelguns.com/sten_sequence.wmv
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 am

Post by Madmike

Hello Claymore!

A great review! Thank you. Yes, I too think the Sten is ugly. But it is a great modelgun which should not miss in your collection!
The real steel Sten was so reliable, cheap and easy to produce that the Germans deceided towards the end of WWII to built a copy as a "Volksmaschinenpistole" or "Gerät Podsdam" to equip Volkssturm outfits.

Greetings

Markus
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:03 am

Excellent!
Reviews like this tell more than any shop advert or brochure ever could!
Keep 'em coming please! On the strength of this review, I may just add a Sten to my toy box.
You haven't got one on Marushin's M712 Mauser by any chance have you please?

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 am

Post by Garyforce

nice review claymore

competition for the thompson eh Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_biggrin

naaaaahhhhh ! Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_lol

you know me ..........give me that old pre ww2 charm anyday Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_biggrin the sten may be a nice gun....but its not one that appeals to me Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_smile.....still...good review mate
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:05 am

Post by Claymore

Thanks for compliments guys. Yeah i know what you mean gary the sten did not appeal to me but it fires so well that i am glad i bought it.

cerwyn, i do have a mauser 712 metal, so far i have only fired 14 rounds through it. once i have fired it more i will look at doing a review.

madmike the Germans using British designs thats got to be a first i thought we always used yours.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:05 am

Post by Madmike

Hello Claymore!
Well, the war was almost lost when the Germans started to copy your designs ... Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_lol

Greetings

MadMike
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:06 am

I'll look forwards to your review on the Mauser.
Keep up the good work, this site makes having these guns even more fun.
...Wonder if I can afford a Sten?...
C
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 am

Post by Mark

Nice review claymore!

The Sten was an interesting design to say the least and while ugly, it performed its duty when it was supposed to..The magazines where a source of continual trouble for the Sten as well as the MP38, that the Sten was heavly influenced by.

The only submachingun that Britain had pre-war was the Lanchester. The Lanchester machine carbine was in short supply in Britain as the submachine gun (known as a machine carbine at the time in the UK) was considered a "Gangster tool" and not really considered as having serious military applications so they where fairly rare before the war.

Also, the Lanchester was an extremely well machined (and very expensive to make) copy of the Schmeisser/Bergmann MP18i. And while the Lanchester was rare and not many where used in the second world war, it's side mounted, magazine design was also used on the Sten as well as the troublesome single feed design magazine design.

The German Sten copy that i think is the most fascinating is the MP3008.

The MP3008, is a virtual Sten copy except that it's magazine is vertically mounted (not like the Stens horizontally mounted magazine) and i think that the vertically mounted magazine makes for a better hand hold..

I of course, would choose the MP38 or 40 before i would choose the Sten in combat as the MP40 is far more accurate than the Sten. However, the Sten was an excellent submachinegun (machine carbine?) and it remained in service for sometime after WW2..

Anyone notice the video link at the bottom of claymores review? claymores video is cool and his Hudson Sten works great! Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_cool besides, it was a pain to put up the video on my site. So watch the video! or else Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_lol

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am

Post by Madmike

Hello Mark!

I have seen this video, and not only once. It is very impressive! The Sten is a reliable and well operating modelgun.

Greetings

Markus
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am

Post by Claymore

Thanks for putting the link to the vid mark, sorry if it was a pain to do, i will try to find a video hosting site where i can link any other vids to that i might do, the vids are worth it i think, as they say a picture says a thousand words and the vid shows just how well the models can fire better than any words.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 am

Couldn't agree more. The video is a clear demonstration of how the model performs and (as far as I'm concerned) sounds too.
I had thought about airsoft guns but although they'll shoot BB's at targets they don't make the right noise at all do they?
Please keep your videos going, they're worth all your efforts.
C
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:10 am

Post by 2sharp

Veery nice review, quite helpful as i got a STEN yesterday Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_smile

Mine seems to be the first version as it has a gas passby barrel and no hole in the receiver to lock the bolt in the forward position.

It is a very nice modelgun!!

Oh, cool vid!

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hudson's STEN MkII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hudson's STEN MkII   Hudson's STEN MkII Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson's STEN MkII
Page 1 of 1