MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Empty
PostSubject: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello friends,

Intro /

Here I am with another review of a Wa Shan model gun, the M9 Dolphin silver version.
Before beginning, I have to say I was looking for a metal model gun pistol so Wa Shan is easily the choice. After thinking, and hesitation, I choose the M9.
I was a lucky man because I had the opportunity to choose between the black and the silver version of this model gun. I have already a Tanaka Black M9 so, naturally, I chose the silver.
Like you maybe know, this silver version is not an "all silver" version, there is some black parts, look at that :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Ws2

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Ws1

Well, like you can see the mag, the mag catch, the slide stop, the trigger, the trigger bar, the hammer, etc are black parts. Some people like this kinf of "colour mix", not me........

Most people of this forum is beginning to know me and know I am a crazy sander, I think you have guessed the result Smile Smile
Before we show the result, I show you the gun before the work :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 20120305_222004
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 20120305_222142
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 20120305_222033
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 20120305_222012
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 20120305_222153

Well, as you can see, this model gun looks good, but we will talk later.
The great chance I have is, as usual, the Wa Shan metal is "crap", if the paint goes off, we can see a strange orange metal...Beurk !!! Imagine if I sand a part and I discover this colour, arrggg.
Fortunately, here, all the visible black parts were silver under paint, yes!!!....Except one....The hammer spring cap. Not important, it is not very visible.
Strange orange metal is always here, locking block, recoil spring guide and internal...

Let me introduce you to the final result :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0893
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0892
The crazy sanderman has struck again!

I / The box

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0857

Let's go, here is the "beautiful" box that you receive. It's the same as the black except the little white round in the right top corner which means silver version.
The box contains the gun, a loading tool, a user's manual with only the diagram of gun and 6 carts.

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0882

I have a little fascicle with all han san toys models (I will put in instructions topic if you want, Cerwyn will tell me if it is possible).

II / The Look

I prefer to show lots of pictures rather than talking, I will speak about some things after photos, so open your eyes :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0858
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0859
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0860
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0861
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0868
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0867
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0873
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0888
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0887

okay, I cheated for the magazine, only the bottom is silver Smile Maybe I will sand all the top if I have courage.

You can see the finishing is very nice, there is no big defect. Just one thing that some people don't like is the barrel, very thin :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0866

For me, no problem, I prefer a thin barrel as a blocked barrel or a plastic barrel.
I must speak about the finishing of this barrel. I think there is a "coat" of strange thing on it. It's difficult to describe and it will be easier with photos :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0870
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0869

I have to say I only shoot about 10 carts and this barrel is already damaged. This is due to friction between barrel and slide.

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0865
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0862

Markings are good but not realistic, "PP" for "PB" for example.

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0880
(You can see on the trigger bar some very little black dot, the old black paint, they are too small to see it, it's only the close up)
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0897
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0874

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0881
Good weight.

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0876

The look of the mag is really simple, no number for carts, nothing on it :

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0871
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0872

This mag is not compatible with Marushin and Tanaka Sad

III / Firing performance

I repeat, I have only shoot about 10 carts with this model gun (I spent my time to sand....) but like I has already see on this forum, this gun fires very well, better than my P220.
I used MGC P220 carts for firing, really better than the original carts.
This model can fire in semi or full auto.
To switch between semi/full, you just have to pull the selector and down the lever.
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0884
Semi
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0883
Full auto
(The red dot, for safety and selector, is missing on each side of slide)

I'm not really interested by the full auto mode, I will try one day to see the result.

Other side of the slide, you have a safety. No decocking here, the safety only avoid the firing pin hit the cart. Pull the hammer, switch down the safety, pull the trigger and the hammer moves but no ignition.
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0864
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0863

IV / Overall

Well, it's time to conclude and to tell you what is my opinion. First, I really prefer this model in all silver but it's personal. Then, more I buy Wa Shan model , more I am happy. I think my first experience with the Glock was bad luck. This M9 is really a good model gun with nice firing performance and full metal.
But, as usual with Wa Shan, I always feel that the gun is not very solid, robust. It's the same thing with the P220. I don't know why but it's not the case with Japanese pistol or revolver, even they are in plastic.
Anyway, I'm still very happy to have this Wa Shan, another one which stays with me Smile

Wink

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0896
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0895
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0894
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0890
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks Momocampo for sharing your new toy Very Happy ...and you must be talking about me regarding somebody hating the thin barrel Wink ...

Note that colourful catalogue - strangely the prices are in Hong Kong dollars even for the caps & disposable rounds when all of these are supposed to be illegal (Wa Shan should do more homework beforehand Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 1498934320 )...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for your review and great photos Momo' Very Happy

I have one of these, in silver and it is a great modelgun. Mine fires really well using MGC P220 cartridges. As you'll know, no modifications are necessary to use P220s, just load and go. It's ne of my favourite models, probably my favourite pistol anyway.

Full Auto firing is a "MUST" really, try it, you'll not look back Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 1498934320

I'm surprised your barrel is losing its finish like this, mine is still like new and it's fired hundreds of rds by now. My recoil spring guide rod shows the same copper/bronze colouring beneath the black paint but it doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

A great addition to your collection, well done

It is possible to post the instruction manual in the "Instructions" category. Check to see if yours differs to the one already there before you do Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks guys for your comments Smile

For Jim, yes it's really strange this little catalogue. By the way, it is possible to find somewhere this "disposable round"???
ANd YES, it's for you this "thin barrel" Wink

Cerwyn, happy you 've got one, you're right, it's a good model gun. For my barrel, it's as usual for Wa Shan, it's one good model gun or sometimes one bad model gun....My barrel is not very important. At worst, when the finish will be out, I will sand a little bit and we will see Smile
Ok, I will try the full auto, I promise.

For the user's manual, it's perfectly the same as the one in the instruction category, but I asked for the colour catalogue, even it's not a user's manual.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Momo' Very Happy

Modelguns-Worldwide did offer the WaShan disposable cartridges but they were a very expensive option. Unfortunately Modelguns-Worldwide stopped trading soon afterwards and now their site is off-line. Some time ago I tried buying Disposable Rds direct from Taiwan but had lots of problems with dealers and I found out that Taiwanese Customs do not allow these to be exported.

You are better staying with MGC P220 cartridges, the gun works perfectly with them Wink

Yes please, a scanned copy of WaShan's colour catalogue would be great, thank you Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

Ok Cerwyn, you will have your catalogue soon Smile
And shame for disposable, I wanted to try...

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Many of us wanted to try those disposable cartridges. It would save all the cleaning and polishing of brass cartridges.

Who knows, someone may introduce them one day

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 am

BTW these disposable rounds (as well as the Wa Shan guns itself) are in the grey-area in Taiwan (sometimes Taiwanese Police will find some scapegoats out of it - whether you're buying or selling...since these resembles real steel Crying or Very sad ) so generally Taiwanese toy gun owners and other toy gun shops tend to stay away from it...these disposable rounds only available at Wa Shan Special Shops...

I tried to order a Hsu Wei M92FS through the Wa Shan website but without success...so I think I really need to take a trip to Taipei soon...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 am

I'll try to dig out the colour catalogue in Taiwanese dollars (if any - as I bought my silver Beretta M84 from Taipei in person) - finger-crossed Wink ...but maybe the items listed are identical...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Sorry - the M84 from Taiwan didn't come with any catalogue...only the colour ones in HK Dollars from my other guns...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Momocampo wrote:
Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver IMG_0871

Instead of sanding it directly I took a different approach: strip the black paint off from the electroplating line (but still not sure if this is the smart way to do - as the parts without the paint might get rusted easily scratch )

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver 200320124799

Also got several different kinds of sandpaper (100Cw / 400Cw / ?Cw / 2000Cw) - will try out which will be the best asap...
Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 8:59 am

Hi Jim,

Really interesting by your method.
Maybe you can put on a special product to protect the metal.
Could you explain me what is a "electroplating line"?? I really don't know.
I think the result is less "white" than the photo shows.

Thanks

Wink
Back to top Go down
yellow
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
yellow

Number of posts : 208
Location / Country : Belgium
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I really like what you've done with that modelgun.
I have the same, and I will try to do this too, so it looks more like my real inox 92FS.

What I did to some original real steel black magazines:
- put it in vinigar for about 45 minutes and you'll see the black color come loose
- rinse it very good
- just whipe off the black color that was left
- sand it with sandpaper P400
- beadblast (NOT sandblast!) it for a nice finish

Only thing you have to keep in mind: keep it oiled with a GOOD gunoil because they will rust like hell!
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 am

Momocampo wrote:
Hi Jim,

Really interesting by your method.
Maybe you can put on a special product to protect the metal.
Could you explain me what is a "electroplating line"?? I really don't know.
I think the result is less "white" than the photo shows.

Thanks

Wink

Oh...from what you've seen on the photo are the parts that had just been stripped with paint remover but haven't been polished yet (that's why it looks disgusting) - but I've some regrets: if I have to sand it anyway then why don't I just simply sand the paint off in the first place (so I don't need to carry these around asking my staff to do all these)...

I've consider to put a lacquer coating on top as to protect these parts - but wait till I can get these parts in beautiful silver first...

Electroplating - putting colour onto products using electric current/chemical/precious metal etc (e.g. plating gold onto steel item so the steel will look gold)...feel free to ask whatever aspect which you want to learn Wink ...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 am

yellow wrote:
I have the same, and I will try to do this too, so it looks more like my real inox 92FS.

- put it in vinigar for about 45 minutes and you'll see the black color come loose
- rinse it very good

Only thing you have to keep in mind: keep it oiled with a GOOD gunoil because they will rust like hell!

I've considered using artificial sweat from my company to do the job (instead of vinegar) - and yes like what you suggested Yellow: Sandpaper 400 is the most suitable one...

Watch Out for my New Topic "Wa Shan M84 Transformation"...COMING SOON...
Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am

yellow wrote:

- rinse it very good

Hi Yellow,

Yes, I prefer this model gun in "all silver".
You will have to disassemble the gun fully, but I think you already know Smile
If you need help, don't hesitate.
I sanded, as usual, with sanding sponge by 3M. First with superfine and finish with microfine.

Thanks for the mag method, I will try. Wink

PS : Thanks Jim for the explaination Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver   Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wa Shan Full Metal M9 "Dolphin" Silver
Page 1 of 1