MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this an MGC Navy Colt?

Go down 
+2
Ozguns
kiwigunner
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Empty
PostSubject: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:59 am

This Navy Colt has come up for auction locally (NZ). No markings, but I don't think it's a Denix. Looks like an MGC version, but would like your opinions!

Is this an MGC Navy Colt? TRADEMECOLT
What do you think folks?

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 am

Looking at the current Denix catalogue, I don't think they do an octagonal barrel like that.
If it is, it looks pretty old.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:44 am

I recently bought a Denix Navy Colt, there are a few differences between it and the one you've got in these photos.

The Denix I have does not have an operating loading lever, it's cast as part of the barrel. The chambers aren't partially blocked by the familiar metal disc either.
Based on that alone, I don't think your photos show a Denix, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you what it is.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm

You bought a Denix!!! Shocked Oh Cerwyn Cerwyn what can i say
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Kiwi, I would have a very good guess and say it is one of these from the '81/'82 and '85/'86 Collectors Armoury catalogue.
So, I think it is an MGC. I would think that it might have "Japan" under the grip.

Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Colt

Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Colt0001
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm

claymore wrote:
You bought a Denix!!! Shocked Oh Cerwyn Cerwyn what can i say

Embarassed It was a moment of weakness ... BUT it isn'ttoo bad a replica, and it was dirt cheap. I only bought it because 5mm caps will just about fit over the cylinder nipples and make a nice loud BANG when the hammer hits them... A weak excuse I know but it's the only one I have Neutral

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Bazooka Joe
Bazooka Joe

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm

The top one is obviously a Denix, but what about the Colt Navy?

Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Imgp8810
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:57 am

Hi Bazooka Joe.... I'm certain it is an RMI/ MGC 1851 Navy Colt having received all the info on this forum from Oziguns, Cerwyn & othere posts - and from owning two of these magnificent modelguns.

If there are NO MARKINGS anywhere (and it's made of quality zinc alloy) then it's gonna be a Japanese replica of some sort.
I think no markings means the earlier the manufacture (??). Maybe Smootik can tel us...... did no markings come first; or did they get removed in later models because of import laws in some countries?

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
Bazooka Joe
Bazooka Joe

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Sounds good Kiwigunner. What's the going rate for these at present? The seller is asking about £100 for both revolvers together, but I'm not too interested in the Denix.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm

I paid US$230 for one of mine + postage; and the other cost me NZ$120. The NZ one had an engraved cylinder - extremely rare these days; so I was extremely fortunate to get one at this price. A collector would pay pretty highly for one internationally.

"Gold" plated ones were fr sale for about US$2000 ! They are RARE in any model because few were made and they were not a popular seller, as most people wanted to buy more modern guns.

In the end the price is just what the buyer is willing to pay! In your situation £100 is kinds of good. Maybe buy both and sell the Denix if he won't sell separately. Denix Western models are popular buys for some people.
Best of luck.

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am

kiwigunner wrote:

I think no markings means the earlier the manufacture (??). Maybe Smootik can tel us...... did no markings come first; or did they get removed in later models because of import laws in some countries?
Not 100% sure, but I believe that markings = Japanese domestic version, no markings = export version (RMI etc) to avoid trademark issues. As for launch dates either Japanese version was earlier (if it was manufactured already before RMI started to import them) or both at similar time (if a new model was made for domestic as well as export market).

If I get any wiser, I will update this info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this an MGC Navy Colt?   Is this an MGC Navy Colt? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this an MGC Navy Colt?
Page 1 of 1