MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magnesium Powder

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Post by Claymore

OK boys help needed on the magnesium front. Finally got some powder and decided to use the 93R to test it out, i thought the 3 round burst would look pretty good.

So i filled the cap to the top and put i very thin piece of polystryene (the sort used for wrapping in boxes), very thin and then pushed the piston down to keep it in place.

I tried single shot first and very disappointing hardly any flash at all, fired of a few more rounds and all the same just a few sparks out of the barrel. So i tried 3 round burst, unfortunatly it did not work it fired the first round and the hammer just did not seem to have enough force to set the 2nd off.
Anway had this problem with the 93R before and ended up with a new slide, but this about the powder.

I loaded the rounds again with a bit more powder and (using just single shots) tried again, no luck still only a few sparks out of the barrel not the huge flame i was expecting.

When i took the rounds apart the pistons were pretty clogged which i was sort of expecting but should they be in this state or is the magnesium not fully burning.

Do i need to compress the powder and do i need something better to cover it with.
Do i use a marushin cap instead of and MGC (i used MGC this time). So advise please i only want to get this to work for a few pics, its to time consuming to bother with it otherwise

わかりました男の子の助けはマグネシウムの前部で必要とした。3 円形の破烈がかなりよく見ることを最終的に粉を得、私考えた93R をそれをテストするのに使用することにした。 そう私は上に帽子を満たし、場所でそれを保つためにピストン薄く、次に押下げられたpolystryene (箱で包むことのために使用される種類) のi の非常に薄い部分を、非常に置いた。 私はワンショット全然最初にそして非常にほとんどあらゆるフラッシュつまらない、ちょうど少数の火花バレルから少数のより多くの円形そしてすべての同じの発射されて試みなかった。そう私は3 円形の破烈を試みた、unfortunatly それを始動させた最初の円形を働かせなかったし、ハンマーはどうしても第2 置く十分な力を備えなかったようでない。Anway に93R のこの問題前におよび新しいスライドで終えられて、粉についてのこれがあった。 私はより多くの粉と円形に再度荷を積み、(公正なワンショットを使用して) バレルから、運少数の火花ただ私が期待していたない巨大な炎まだ再度試みなかった。 私が円形を離れて取ったときに私がちょっと期待していたが、詰ったりもしこの状態にまたはあればか、十分に燃えないマグネシウムであるピストンはかなり。 私は粉を圧縮する必要があり、私よりよく必要とするそれをでカバーすることを何かを。私は使用するmarushin の帽子の代りにおよびMGC (私は今回MGC を使用した) を。そう私にこれを少数のためにpics を働かせるために得るためにだけたいと思う時間のかかるにそれと別の方法で迷惑を掛けるように助言しなさい
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Post by Mark

Claymore,

You might actually try less powder next time as i think if you are getting un-burned powder that the quantity of magnesium is too much,

You might try the Marushin caps the next time.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Post by rizzo

Well to get this effect-
Magnesium Powder 97831375

I did this-

1. Make sure the magnesium powder is completely dry. Put a packet of silica gell drying crystals (the type that come with electrical goods) in with the powder to keep it dry.

2.Take the cartridge and place the cap into it.
3. Fill the cap with enough magnesium so the cap is 'full', not overflowing.
4.Using the 'prodde'r tool, put the cap at the bottom of te cartridge.
5. COmplete the cartridge as normal

I don't use polystyrene and i think this could be your problem. Try with out it and report back soldier Magnesium Powder Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Post by Garyforce

ive never got round to trying this myself yet.

but after reading all that im going to concour with rizzo and say try without the poly' !

perhaps ...... i duno if u need to 'hold' the powder in why not a teeny bit of sellotape over the cap ?

other than that i wouldn't know what to try myself !

personally id like to come up with some kind of 'device' that will sit in the end of my thompson (closed barrel) andyou can 'set it off' some how when you pull the trigger ....... however thats a bit of a pipe dream really Magnesium Powder Icon_razz ...unless theres any movie propmasters out there with the know how they'd like to share Magnesium Powder Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

Post by Claymore

Cheers rizzo, will try tomorrow and let you know and yes your pic is what i was expecting and i thought burst fire would look even cooler.

Will let you know
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Post by rizzo

It's helluva fun- but as you said, the magnesium leaves a nasty residue when burned, so you really have to clean the cartridges.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by Claymore

Cheers for the info on the powder got it working and its great for pics, leaves too much residue aftewards though. I had a lot of misfires and had to pull the trigger a few times befor the cap would go off. I suppose getting through the powder is not easy for the piston.

Its the dolphin in the pic and again i was goint to try burst fire but the dolphin started having feeding problems, it would fire eject then jam every time, so i have got to find out what the problem with that is now as everything seems fine, even tried my new spare mag and that had the same problem.

Not had much luck with modelguns in the last few days.

Magnesium Powder Magpowdershot
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by rizzo

Very nice! Yep, i found if the cartridges and gun aren't completely clean then you'll have lots of misfires. Firing a second time with the same cartridges before cleaning is nearly impossible without misfires...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Magnesium Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magnesium Powder   Magnesium Powder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnesium Powder
Page 1 of 1