MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Empty
PostSubject: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 pm

O.K. time for another competition?

The prize is a sling for an M1 Carbine (shown here on my Erma M1 .22 carbine. The gun is NOI included) ………. The sling will be free, but the winner will need to pay for shipping to their country from New Zealand.
COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL ErmaM14

The Competition and CLUES:
I am making another presentation box for another Colt modelgun… the competition is to guess
1) EXACTLY which model Colt itwill display AND
2) the identity of the famous person who may have owned the
original Colt, AND
3) the event which inspired this gun.

So I am also modifying the Colt’s grips, replacing the black plastic ones with dark brown Walnut grips. The modelgun or box will most likely have an inscribed plate attached to it.

The wooden box dimensions are: 450 mm x 290 by 70mm deep.
COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Woodenbox
The rules are:
Each person can have up to THREE posted guesses only! (Posted one guess at a time)
The first person to post the correct guess will win.

The competition will run for only 5 days from the date of posting.
This time CERWYN is not allowed to enter –he already knows the answer!!!

I will answer any reasonable question – but I may answer you with a question!
Good luck – Bonne chance !!!

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:11 am

It was Wyat Earp, event is OK Corral shooting, wait, you ask about a COLT? ;-)
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes! Well done Smootik!

I must have made it too easy!
Yes I know the controversy you refer to: at the OK Corral gun fight, did Wyatt Earp use the Buntline Special Colt he had been awarded by the people of Dodge City? (as shown in the Tombstone movie)

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL 1buntline

or did he use the smaller barreled Schofield Smith & Wesson .45 ?

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Schofield
After surfing the internet I found some repro medallion shields were available on eBay for between US$8 - US$12 - but that shipping outside the USA was an issue for some sellers.
COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Badges

Yes it is made of brass, not silver, but I can get it plated with nickel or silver quite cheaply. It will also need to have the "8th" inscribed where it is missing. Luckily I have an engraving tool! And I shall also have to replace the plastic grips on my Buntline with wooden (Walnut) ones. Then make the presentation box!

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL 2shield

Further surfing found me a site where they sold the same thing for US$4, and shipping wasn't a problem - just expensive. So I bought TWO plus a Dodge City Sheriff's badge - so I shall sell that plus one of the shields locally to help offset the total cost! Smile

So SMOOTIK wins the sling! PM me for shipping details.
Well done....I must make my next competition a bit harder!

Kiwigunner

[b]
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Congratulations Smootik cheers , well done Exclamation

Thanks very much Kiwi' for another competition and generous donation of a prize Very Happy This is very kind of you and it certainly is a great idea, many thanks indeed. Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:11 pm

It was definitely fun!

To be honest I did not think that I would be considered winner, as I did not write explicitely which Colt model it could be, and I also thought that this is a trick question because Earp was more known to use S&W revolvers. It's all in hands of the judge though :-)

I don' t think the question was too easy, it was just that I recently learned a lot about OK Corral shooting, so gave it a try.
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi!
And what a try! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Well now, Smootik,

Your extremely fast answers PLUS the query about "Colt??" immediately let me know you knew about the controversy: which gun did Wyatt Earp use at the O.K. Corral? Cool

Franklin Mint has been selling metal replicas based on the Schofield for many years - and Denix now makes copies I believe!
Wyatt Earp apparently told one of his biographers that he used his Colt Buntline .... but his biographer (Stuart Lake) has not been credited as being a thorough researcher! Shocked

Wyatt had both a Schofield AND a Buntline available to him at the time (at least one of his friends had one given to him) ........ so would he have favoured a faster short barreled Scohfield OR the long barreled Buntline Special? scratch

Wyatt had the reputation of being um-naturally COOL during gunfights - he displayed absolutely no fear- and was methodical and calculating in what he did.....so if he chose a loner barrelled pistol, he was fully capable of using it in a gunfight. Smile

Smootik was obviously aware of the issue over the use of a Colt ....and there is only one Colt that Wyatt COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL 3632253013 may have used if in fact he didn't use a Schofield: a long barreled Buntline Special!

Kiwigunner

PS: I've since learned that Smootik has actually visited Dodge City in the USA and was impressed by the OK Corral re-enactment displayed while he was there......there is nothing like FIRST HAND knowledge now, is there? What a Face
COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Ok-2corral
A PHOTO FROM THE INTERNET TAKEN AT DODGE CITY

FOR AN UPDATE CHECK THIS LINK: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t3552-commemorative-grips-buntline-special#21583

Last edited by kiwigunner on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : edit typos; add link update; add photo)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL   COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMPETITION - OPEN TO ALL
Page 1 of 1