MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My new Shoei MG42.

Go down 
+6
jim
smootik
vernonsmith
Cerwyn
jay851
Ozguns
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 am

Jeepers, I thought I had replied.

Pit, that German collection of yours makes mine look like something you'd see at a Hitler Youth barbecue.

Kiwi, thanks for the offer to try to see if you can make some guts for my MG42.
There is absolutely nothing inside the gun, completely empty where it all is supposed to go. I guess the only real way to get it to operate nicely would be if Shoei themselves made something.
But I was only joking about you making something for it anyway, as you always seem to be very handing with making parts. Smile
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 am

Hi Ozzie, I know you were only joking, but I reckon I could make something with a spring that might be worthwhile - if you're not in a hurry..... Twisted Evil
And Pit, yes some photos and dimensions would be appreciated - you can PM me if you wish.

Oz - I take it there IS a trigger - and if so can you send me a photo of it and it's dimensions, etc.... It would make a good summer project for me to toy with.
Cheers,
cheers
Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 am

Ok Cool. I'll take a couple of close up pics on the inside. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I've got a complete Shoei Trigger group assembly procedure instruction set of photos here. I've no access to a scanner at the moment but I can e-mail them to you both. I hope they'll be some help Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Cerwyn. Just received the emails and am going through them now and downloading the pictures.
I see that they were also sent to kiwigunner too.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

No problem Dan Very Happy I hope they'll be some help. Might be worth you taking a look at the youtube videos of Shoei's GBB Airsoft MG42 too. Some show the Bolt moving back and forth when firing. Yes, I sent them to kiwi' too as you're both looking into getting your '42 modified.

I can't wait to see the results of your efforts bounce

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Likewise thanks Cerwyn.
Appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Kiwigunner
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 am

Kiwi, I'll post up a couple of pics of the inside of the gun this weekend. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 am

Here's some pictures of the internals. What internals?
The inside is pretty much empty apart from the trigger mechanism at the bottom.
When the trigger is pulled, there is no movement above what can be seen in the pics. Nothing moves up or sideways.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1264Custom

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1265Custom

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1261Custom

And inside the cover.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1262Custom

Note: Shoei, please sell the mechanism as an accessory. Smile
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 am

Sent some pics, via PM.

They are not terribly good, sorry -

There are two metal folds on the lower receiver that obscure most of the internals, that are not on the replica.

I ran into the owner of this company today in Phoenix - http://www.germanmanuals.com/manuals.html

I bought this one - My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 2012-12-02224820

I already had his repro-MP44 buttstock manual in my MP44.

He is a very nice guy, and actually translates the manuals himself, using actual firearms to double check his translations.

There are very, very good pics of the MG42 in the manual.

SAR Show was phenomenal -
More accessories & cans all WW2 for the MG - Found the incredibly elusive ZB26 butt-plate - a good trip.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Pit; got them ok.
Ozzie - I just need to know the dimensional width of the inside of the MG42 in mm.
From your photos I can see I need to make a couple of side tracks that the bolt will slide in.
And I presume the return spring Base piece also requires making..... but if you have one let me know.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 0327121711

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 L1_collectibles_mg53mg42_parts_kit_37989_1

I can make most of these itemts out of some plastic pipe and bits & bots to fit into two channels you can bolt to the side of your MG42 with tose existing side bolts. But I can't find much in the way of dimensions of the bolt length and width, as yet.
Can you let me have the diameter of those side bolts and their distance appart in mm. Ta.

Maybe someone can post them for us. cheers

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added questions.)
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

Here's a couple of pics to hopefully show the scale of things.

The inside width is as close to 50mm as you can get.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1266Custom

The bolts are very close to being 80mm apart, and appear to be around 4mm or maybe around 3/16 diameter.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1270Custom

If only I still had my Meccano set from when I was a kid. That was when real kids grew up to be real men after playing with real toys. Laughing
I reckon constructing something would be pretty simple.

John, if you REALLY want to give this a try, all I'd want is something pretty simple with some spring loading to the trigger and a cock and click. Something that makes it feel a little real when I pull the trigger.

Cheers Dan.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I e-mailed Tomio at Shoei asking if there's any chance of having dummy cartridge MG42 models that would have moving bolts, belts and cycling cartridges in the future. I also passed on your request Dan for conversion kits Very Happy

The problems are that a cycling model must have a blocked barrel and must also be permanently fixed to the receiver. They don't have tooling for this at the moment.

However, the request has been noted and Shoei will see what can be done in the future

As a matter of interest, Tomio reckons they've sold only 20 MG42 models to Australia so you've a rare model there Dan Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Cerwyn, I didn't think there would be too many of them over here in Australia because of our laws.
According to Shoei's website, they were only going to do a limited run of them, so I new if I bought one, it would be well....er....limited. Yeah, pretty happy that I have it, but would have been cool if it was a little more then a wall hanger.

You never know, maybe one day.
Or maybe one day I might get one of the deacts that is floating around.
That's a thought.....I wonder if the guy who makes those steel replicas here could make some internal bits? Hmmm.....probably not because his police approval doesn't include working mechanisms I believe.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Ozzie.... thanks for that. That's all I'll need for a simple spring-loaded imitation assembly. It looks like I'll have to make a trigger sear
[
center]My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 MGgrip16[/center]
Can you verify that part & spring are not installed (your photos say not).

I have some scrap materials here I can easily make the bolt and Spring end buffer stop with (plastic pipe wood and brass) and I'll get a spring that does the job from somewhere local.

I'll be able to make id "look" similar to a real one (painted silver) but you may have to "fine tune" how it locks onto the trigger mechanism by filing away a bit of plastic or brass.

Should be done before Christmas I hope.

kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Kiwi gunner - was there anything useful on the pics from my MG?
As you can see the receiver is quite different to the dummy internally and restricts viewing, but it looks like you have a great reference for the bolt.
You will need guide rails that it can travel in, and they will need to be fixed to the insides of the lower receiver.

Pit.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi Pit.

Yes thanks, your photos help me a lot. I agree the guide rails need to me made and installed - I plan to use the side bolts shown in Ozi's photos to mount them.
It's a bit of a challenge - but because we're only making a dummy, there's a lot of latitude for imagination! I hope I can make something that works and still fits with Australian gun laws. Rolling Eyes

If you could send a photo of the trigger sear and spring components - that would be great, and maybe some measurements - if you can find the time! bounce

I plan to make a prototype and take it to a friens a few hours drive away, and check for fit. Then make some final mods before sending to Australia.

Appreciate your input! cheers

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 pm

I think when Shoei stripped the guts out to make it a display model, that's what they did.
Nothing protrudes inside at all. So unfortunately no spring and "thingo" inside my gun.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am

So let's see how you guys goes...I've a MG42 sitting at home as well so hopefully something promising very soon Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 5:13 pm

GREAT!!!!! I look forward to watching this one come together!

Pit.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 am

Ozi ... I need to know if the charging handle moves or is fixed?
From your photo it appears to be fixed and a cover is bolted over the slot it would normally slide in???

Here's a photo of the assembly needed to connect to the bolt carrier. I've got enough info to start making the boldt and bolt carrier now.

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Charginghandlenumbered

It would be helpful to see a photo of what you HAVE got!

I'm looking forward to seeing what we end up with! cheers

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 am

Mr Gunner, Smile

I have all the components shown in the above picture you posted.
The charging handle pulls out and then backwards, moving all the other bits with it, then folds forwards and I can push it back to it's original position.
I have just checked some Youtube videos on the working MG42s, and it appears to be about right, but I couldn't figure out which slot being covered up that you were referring to.

It's dark here now, so I can't take any pictures, but will take any that you require over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 am

Here's a couple of shots of the charge handle area.

I have my camera ready...... Smile

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1273Custom

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 DSCF1272Custom
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am

UPDATE:
Gone thru my scrap bin plus bought a couple of rails, and am now ready to start making the dummy bolt and feed rails. bounce

The spring I have will probably be too small ... anyone got a spare used MG42 main spring they wish to donate? PM me if you can. (Only $6 in the USA but $40 postage!).

My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Shoeihminternals

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 am

Kiwi, please don't spend too much time and money on this, as it was only originally said in jest about you making something to fit inside the gun.

But if you do, Smile I should be able to find a better spring around here locally. There is a spring works around Perth who used to have boxes of springs, and grab any you like for $1 each. It's helped me out a few times in the past.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Shoei MG42.   My new Shoei MG42. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new Shoei MG42.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next