MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Horsemarine
Horsemarine

Number of posts : 28
Location / Country : Cork/Ireland
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Empty
PostSubject: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 am

I have made a very silly mistake in attempting to disassemble the bolt of my newly acquired CMC Mauser K98k. When the rifle arrived this morning, I set about stripping, cleaning and lubricating it, using Smootik's wonderfully clear guide (thanks, Smootik : Smile ) As a result, the rifle is now bright clean and lightly oiled and the wood furniture is glowing with two coats of linseed oil.

But - there had to be one! - the last operation was disassembling and cleaning the bolt. Here I followed (meant to follow No ) Smootik's advice, the guide on surplusrifles.com, and the Mitchell's Mausers manual. With the bolt cocked, the afety vertical and the bolt withdrawn from the rifle, I pressed the locking plunger with my thumb, grasping the bolt body firmly and twisted the rear assembly... the wrong way! The rear assembly completed half a turn and stuck fast. I have not been able to move in either direction. It is lodged "upside down" with the plunger wedged against the bolt handle. Nothing seemed to break: it's just stuck.

Can anyone advise me on how to get this silly mistake sorted? I've been playing with guns, real and model, for well over 40 years, and have never done anything so daft, but if I hid my shame I'd be stuck with a banjaxed £500 rifle. confused
Back to top Go down
Horsemarine
Horsemarine

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 5:42 pm

In the event, the bolt head turned out to be just torque-bound. On the avice opf Kevin at Modelguncollector.co.uk, I pu the bot, cocked, safety vertical, in a rubber jawed vice and, using a 1lb hammer, I tapped the rear assembly back the way it had come. I interposed a hardwood block between the hammer and the bolt, to save marking the bolt. I was then able to disassemble the bolt, clean and lubricate it, and reassemble it with no further trouble. Mea culpa! cherry
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:04 am

Glad to see you sorted your bolt out at last Very Happy

I had used smootik and surplusrifles.com's excellent guides to sort out a reassembly problem when I first aquired my own CMC K98.

I'm sure your experience and "fix" should be of help to other owners in future. Thanks very much for sharing this

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

I am glad you solved it without damage to the model!
Happy that my guide helped, using it is the best "thank you" for writing it all down :-)
Back to top Go down
Horsemarine
Horsemarine

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks, Smootik and Cerwyn, for your comments. If I may trespass further on your good offices, I have what appears to be a potential future problem on which you or other Mauser owners may be able to advise.

I am very well aware of the corrosive nature of PFC caps and the necessity for prompt and thoruogh cleaning of model guns after firing. In the case of the K98k, but two problems occur to me.

1. On my rifle, the chamber is a very tight fit indeed in the barreled receiver. It took a lot of prying to separate them and a rubber mallet to get them back together. This cannot be a good thing to do to model gun components! Nevertheless, tt seems to be inevitable, if the chamber and det pin are to properly cleaned. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution?

2. Combustion gases pass down the barrel, though little smoke is likely emerge at the muzzle and this, I inagine, will cause corrosion within the barrel. Given the problem which arose when Smootik separated barrel and receiver, I'm at a loss as to how to clean the barrel. The barrel narrows to a narrtow slot near the muzzle, so it can't done from that end. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? The barrel could easily be scalded out using warm water and a cleaning rod and patches, from the rear end but in light of Smootik's experience, I'm naturally reluctant to separate barrel and receiver, but can see no other solution.

The rifle is an excellent representation of the real thing, and it cost a lot of money. It is quite a thing of beauty and deserves the best of care, so I'm reluctant to try risky experiments. Any ideas, lads? scratch I have not shot it yet, because of this problem. It feeds and dry fires beautfully, but oh, those combustion gasses!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am

One or two modelguns in my collection are particularly awkward or laborious to strip down after firing so I seldom fire them to be honest. If I do, one good cleaning tip I was given a long time ago is to run warm / hot water through the chamber and barrel as soon as possible after firing. This method does work quite well especially if you can get a cleaning brush or rod and patches through as well.

The main thing is to drain the water out thoroughly dry the parts afterwards. Hairdryers are ideal.

Barrels of models fired regularly can clog up with dirt if not cleaned regularly. Engine Degreaser sprayed down the barrel / chamber then left to get to work before flushing with hot water can be a very effective cleaning method too.

Back to top Go down
Horsemarine
Horsemarine

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks Cerwyn.
Generally, black powder cleaning techniques work well with model guns, My problem is getting at the parts which need to be cleaned! Smootik has warned, from his own experience, against separatin barrel from receiver, and I'm not comfortable with walloping model gun parts with a mallet, reassembling chamber to receiver! I was hoping someone would have found a way of cleaning the Mauser without risk of damaging it. The alternative is, of course, not to fire it, but that would be a pity, as it is an excellent model which just begs to be fired!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I couldn't agree more, taking a mallet to cast Zinc alloy is never a good idea No
To be honest with you, I did fire mine only to be very dissapointed by the quietness of the report. REALLY quiet, hardly worth the bother in my opinion Crying or Very sad
Mine came with 4 inert Mauser cartridges that have been shortened by pushing the bullet into the brass case. They cycle through the model a treat but the nice thing with these is that when they hit the floor after ejection they sound perfect Very Happy They sound like a hollow brass case should
Models that I only fire on rare occasions, either because they're known to be fragile or a pig to strip do seem to clean up well using hot water when flushed through. Making sure everything is absolutely dry afterwards in the main thing.
Tanio Koba's website has a selection of photos demonstrating his GM-7 Colt 1911 modelguns. Barrel and Detonator Pin are a sight easier to get at than CMC's K98 but he flushes water through the chamber to clean up. He recommends that after about 200 shots a full strip be carried out so this is an intermittent method. There is a reference to "R/C" in the Japanese text which could either describe the type of bottle and nozzle he uses to direct water into the chamber or possibly there's a cleaning fluid (or even a fuel Question) commonly used in R/C models that's ideal for washing away cap deposits. I've yet to find out which.

Back to top Go down
Horsemarine
Horsemarine

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Many thanks indeed, Cerwyn.

Not specially good news, but in line with what I suspected. The cartridge is buried so deep in the gun that I didn't expect much of a bang for the buck! It would be nice to fire it, though... I guess that when I do, I'll flush out with water, black powder fashion, dry with a hair dryer, and hope that I get rid of the nasties. I won't fire it often, and I'll leave the barrel and chamber in place and cross my fingers!

When I stripped the gun, I cleaned everything except the barrel, very thorouhly. leaving it "bright, clean and lightly oiled", as my instructors taught me, back in the day, so it won't come to much harm and I reckon that spraying oil down the barrel after washing out the barrel is as much as I can do. I'll try and find some inert 8mm Mauser ammo and push back the bullets as you have done.

Many thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury   Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Self-inflicted Mauser K98k injury
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MP40's Modelguns Forum :: Modelgun Problems-
Jump to: