MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun

Go down 
+2
pitfighter
richie328
6 posters
AuthorMessage
richie328

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : Western NY, USA
Registration date : 2013-01-23

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Empty
PostSubject: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks to shazhib, I was able to purchase a Craft Apple Works C/93 Borchardt modelgun! A very big "Thank You!!!" to shazhib!!!

I conversed with shazhib as to what needs to be done to import a CAW C/93 Borchardt modelgun into the USA; it seems there is some federal law that a replica modelgun must have the muzzle painted red...Doing that to a plastic modelgun in such a way as to be able to remove the paint without marring the finish of a rather expensive model is a problem...shazhib finally painted the muzzle red with water-based model paint.

I think it's a given that the dummy cartridges need to be shipped separately; even though they are dummies, having them with the model is asking for trouble...

Transfer of funds was accomplished via PayPal.

Shazhib shipped it in three parcels; top [cannon] assembly; lower [grip frame]; and dummy cartridges. We agreed that shipping it complete and with metallic cartridges [they are real brass] was tempting fate.

The three come by air, shipper is EMS.

First parcel to arrive was the gripframe assembly + magazine!

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Insides2

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Rightgripframe1

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Leftgripframe2

Here's what I found -

- Grips are wood, excellent checkering, with steel panels inlet into wood (to add weight?)
- Magazine is steel with pinned wood bottom
- Magazine has twin coil springs exactly like real C/93
- Trigger screw, mag/safety spring, ejector (?), grips screws, trianglular panels at rear, loop at rear, and shelf under rear of frame are all steel. Rest is (I assume) plastic/ABS.

I tried Tokarev 7.62 cartridges [real Fiocchi] in magazine; they fit and stack OK!

Quality is outstanding! Feels heavy (due to steel inserts I imagine).

Shazhib packed it up carefully; parcel appeared unopened; no duty. Delivered by USPS Express Mail here in USA (separate from regular mail delivery).

Time in transit: From 20 Mar in Japan to 23 Mar my front door = fantastic!!! I was able to track it along the way by EMS's tracking service. (Time/date difference between Japan & USA is confusing.)

I downloaded & bought Gerard Henrotin's EBook on the Borchardt. I now know how to get it apart & back together.

The cannon assembly showed up next!!!

Here's some pics...I hadn't picked off the red paint yet...

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_0

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Boxend2

Size, compared with my [real] 1900AE Luger -

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_1

Other side view -

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_2

...Here's some pics of the markings...

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_3

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_4

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_5

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_6

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_7

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_8

The CAW seems to be a direct copy of a Lowe's C/93 serial # 567...

Excellent attention to detail...I can even chamber a cartridge...But there is a ~6" steel plug in the barrel...Probably not a smart move to try shooting a real cartridge...

The rollers on the rear toggle actually work...The toggle train has to be pulled back about an eighth of an inch before lifting up, the same as my 1900AE Luger...The toggle lock is real, and is separate & screwed into the grip frame like the 1900 Luger...The toggle catch is spring loaded, same as the 1900 Luger...

The recoil spring is real, and as you might expect, is a PITA to get hooked on the link...

The barrel seems to be separately cast from the receiver; but I can't tell if it is screwed in or pressed...Witness mark is nicely lined up...

Trying to find a suitable glass-topped display case for it...Needs to have at least 2" inside depth...

If anyone is keeping a record of Borchardt C/93 pistols, I'm pretty sure Craft Apple Works in Japan has serial # 567...

I am very happy with this!!! I know I will never have a real Borchardt...But this is close enough!!!

This is an accurate replica. For instance, the recoil spring is a two-leaf steel snail spring riveted together. The safety works only when the action is cocked (it won't go up with an uncocked action). The toggle lock works just like the 1900 Luger. The rear sight blade is detachable. (So is the front sight blade, but the front is pinned & the rear has two tiny screws).

I had to field strip it to scrub the muzzle paint off [Palmolive dishwashing detergent & a nailbrush scrubbed it off], so here is a pic of the springbox with 2-leaf 'snail' spring in it...

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Springbox2

I don't have a 'real' spring to compare it with, so I don't know how close it is to original as far as thickness of leaves...

The cartridges came next; here's two pics of them...hard to get good pics, the auto-focus tracks all over the place...

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Cartridges2

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Cartridges1

Kind of amusing; the fake primers have the "U" on them...I have them displayed with actual 7.62 Tokarev cartridges [Fiocchi], dimensionally the same as 7.65 Borchardt (for all practical purposes)...The CAW dummy cartridges are heavier; I wonder if they are solid brass???

Here's a couple of natural light pics with paint removed...

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_right

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun CAW_left

Very impressive replica; well worth the cost to me, as I will never be able to afford a real Borchardt.

Thanks again to shazhib for making this possible!!!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the finish on this modelgun is a fine satin black. Grips/magazine bottom are varnished (or lacquered) and probably stained wood. Magazine is gray steel; not sure what the coating is.

Last edited by richie328 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 am

Great review - thanks for taking the time to wrote that and take the awesome photos.

This is a magnificent modelgun, and for me the reason to buy a modelgun is one you will never have the money or permits to buy for real. Nice -

It looks better in the natural light, are you going to apply any paint to it to make it more real looking or leave it as is?

Nice either way.

Pit.

*7.62 Tok is the bane of Mauser collector's as it will cycle in a Broomhandle designed for 7.63 Mauser - but damage it integrally if not destroy it outright if fired. I am sure you know this, though.

Last edited by pitfighter on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 am

Many thanks for this review!
What a wonderful model!
Back to top Go down
richie328

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : Western NY, USA
Registration date : 2013-01-23

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

pitfighter wrote:

*7.62 Tok is the bane of Mauser collector's as it will cycle in a Broomhandle designed for 7.63 Mauser - but damage it integrally if not destroy it outright if fired. I am sure you know this, though.

Yes, I have two 'broomhandle' Mausers [C96 & M30] in 7.63 x 25 and a Yugo M57 in 7.62 x 25. I also reload, and am a wildcatter to boot. Back in the 70's/80's, I made 7.63 Mauser out of .223 Remington cases. All three pistols use basically the same cartridge case & bullet. Difference is powder charge. Originally I bought 200 rds of Tokarev ammunition just for the cases & bullets, but then found that Yugo M57's had longer gripframes, one extra round in longer magazine, thumb safety, captive recoil rod, and a couple other 'improvements' to Tokarev TT33 design. And they were very reasonable. So I bought one of those as well. Wink

I also make 7.65 Luger barrels for M1911, Star BM, Walther P-38, and other oddball pistols originally chambered for 9mm Parabellum. I like the 30 caliber. Smile

I am not planning to paint it...If I knew more about 'aging', I might try that on something to see how it works/looks...but no plans on CAW C/93...

I agree; natural light [outside] is best...But either raining or sunlight lately...Cloudy day is better - no glare... Wink
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Sounds like you're set!

7.62 Tok is an interesting round.

Great modelgun!

Pit.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Thank you for taking time to put up this review here :-)

I'm a sucker for a Borchardt myself...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for posting this great review Very Happy

It certainly looks like a well crafted high quality replica of this unusual pistol. Shazhib is, as you've seen a great gentleman to deal with.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 pm

This is what it could look like if you could follow the Japanese language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hyjBEvqVc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun   CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CAW C/93 Borchardt Modelgun
Page 1 of 1