MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Empty
PostSubject: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Here is my quick review of the YT Colt .25 acp / Silenced .

These are new - or new to me anyway - on Jays website MG -Props .

Being a fan of small autos and especially anything silenced I had to have this . I bought it with spare mag extra rounds and disposable rounds . My first experience with the latter .

Despite the box looking toylike & while other YT boxes are different the inside is all good . Yes its small but its very weighty and v similar to RS having owned one before . The pistol is solid with no movement or rattles and function is all good . The sharp edges on the new rounds catches on the mag a bit and I could imagine stoppages some file work may be required & lube - not easy with something this small ! The mag is teeny and holds 5 with one in chamber if you wish .

The springs seems a bit weak and its reluctant to chamber and close properly - hopefully firing will clear this and it will run ok . I have never had issues with Wa Shan / YT before as regards firing .

The stripdown is unconventional - to me - but ok after a couple of times . It helps to understand function if you spend time with this . The paint is already coming off the barrel and I have not fired even once ! but ok as I will polish it chrome anyway . Despite full metal it feels somehow delicate so I am reluctant to mess with it too much plus I had an issue when doing the stripped photos attached when it jammed up and would not takedown ( my fault assembled a return spring follower the wrong way ) all good in the end but I nearly had meltdown when I could not get it back together !! Ah the joys of modelgun ownership eh guys ??Rolling Eyes 

It is actually a very nice piece with many likeable features - more so than I expected . Namely the weight , solidity and realism . I remember an episode of " The Unit " when one of these was used by one of the Delta guys and was mucho impressed . I know real steel .25 acp only shoot @ 650 fps but across the room you would not want to get hit would you ?

Onto the Silencer .

This item is not just a hollow tube - it is all metal with real baffled internals which strips for cleaning . It is nice quality and suits / matches the piece . The threads match up with those on inside of barrel . This leads to a slight problem because the primary strip down involves twisting the barrel in the frame with slide back . Whist fitting the silencer you can easily accidentally unscrew the barrel from its lugs - unless you have the pistol in closed position . This extra weight on barrel may lead to feed issues as the barrel tips possibly impeding feed from the mag .

The silencer is a working item but at first I thought " how ? " then I realised the Colt has a vent in barrel obstruction which should allow a partial forward vent . This would make it an excellent stage / screen assassination piece whilst being ultra safe - if rather quiet !! Almost all pistols I have owned with Silencer have never been quite " true " - the Sil always slightly askew drifting off to left or right . Only slightly but noticeable - ( v problematic with BB guns esp metal bbs ! ) The Colt is no exception but it is only slight and does not detract from the model imo .

Even when fitted with Sil the pistol is still very tiny !! Sure , for the price you could buy a full size model but I really like the little Colt . It has good solid trademarks all over and feels like quality in your hand . I would have to say I really rate this pistol - did I already say that ?
The package from MG - props is a good one . Jay includes a little loading kit with wire wool / Q tips / plus loading tool . Nice touch ! Overall highly recommended if you like quality unusual little pistols .

Jay seems to be releasing the entire range of YT pistols with silencers and I certainly fancy a Beretta 92 FS in chrome next !! With Silencer naturally ! Only issue with that one would be how thin the barrel metal is - it would need to be sleeved in order to cut the threads .

I will post some shooting impressions when I get time to fire the little gun . My first proper review !! Kind of enjoyed writing it up too now lets see if I can get my head around the photobucket for my photos .

Carl.
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Back to top Go down
cosmitron
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
cosmitron

Number of posts : 175
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2013-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks for this review phobus!
I've been reading all I could about the Y.T/Wa Shan lately and might take the plunge. I've seen a bunch of Beretta available on Jay's site, but I'm waiting for a 93r. Might pull the trigger on another one while waiting for its availability.
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks for response ,

Enjoyed doing the review - took half my day off tho, - haha Smile 

I have a few of these Wa Shan / YT models and like them all .

I bought the Glock 27 same time as the above and may review that next - not sure if its been done before ?

Not sure if there is a full metal 93R though - shame because there should be - still the YT 92 is select fire so might suit your needs .

The KSC 93R is mostly abs so does not interest me personally

Carl
Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Insert11

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Inser210

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac19

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac12

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac13

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac14

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac15

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac16

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac17

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  _25_ac18
Back to top Go down
akazz
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 73
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 6:17 pm

nice review Very Happy  haven't had chance to get my hands on any of the y t corp models yet but i like the idea of them being full metal rather than abs/hw, ill be interested to see how the disposable rounds go aswell
Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks Guys

And to you Dronne many thanks Embarassed  - I thought the pics were up ok but obviously not .

Unlike many on here I am not too good with technology . I,m old you see .

The luddites originated from my region of the UK so glean from that what you will ...Laughing 

Thanks for correcting my error and I will be more careful next time .

Regards

Carl:Smilie 68: 

Back to top Go down
Dronne
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Dronne

Number of posts : 215
Location / Country : France Paris
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 am

Hi,
You're welcome.
No scoff or blame, it was just faster to explain like that. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks very much for your first Review phobus Very Happy 

I know how time consuming these can be Wink but they're really helpful an satisfying too.
It'll be good to know if use does improve firing an feeding issues, could you keep us upated please?

Jay had mentioned he was about to launch a range of silencers for modelguns, is there actually much difference in volume when firing?  

Thanks again, keep 'em coming Very Happy 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks Cerwyn

Yep I will follow up with a shooting impression . Might even attempt a video !! I have some time next week and possibly the weekend .

I had a major problem re assembling the YT when some internal bits fell out and I struggled to get it back together .

I was unable to find anything online to help me so in the end I sat down with my best glasses on and lots of light and eventually got it all back . Since then it has not been quite so positive at feeding as it was prior .

It really chucks the empties out with force though . Maybe I need to clean up the area around the det pin to ensure its able to close properly . Also as stated in review the new rounds have some sharp edges which may snag . Maybe some wire wool to tidy up the rims etc . The mag may take 6 - but even round number 5 took some persuading .What a wuss !!

Carl

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced    Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Y & T Colt .25 acp / Silenced
Page 1 of 1