MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11070
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Empty
PostSubject: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 am

***Posted by jim***
Hi Cerwyn,

As you have the tips for using the modelgun rounds - now I've problems with some of my cartridges - such as:
How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** 1806825060_c9c5690f3f
After firing the rounds (I know I shouldn't have - but I was tempted) the rounds oxidised and turned dark - I want to make it shiny again...some Japanese-made solvent can solve the problem but is there another way to solve this problem?

Also,
How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** 1805983665_d1e1504899
What can I do to polish old rounds like this...is it OK to use a tumbler with stones (just like treating the brass shells before handloading live ammo)?

Any Mr Handyman out there who can join solving these problems...will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Cerwyn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 am

***Post by Claymore***

Jim i would look at soaking in viniger and bicarbonate soda for a well then wipe over with wire wool which should take the oxidising off then for the shine as you metion the tumbler used for shining up real brass rounds should do the trick
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Jim,

I've found an Ultra Sonic cleaner perfect for washing brass cartridges after each firing and then a polish in a Vibrating Tumble polishing machine.

I am in the process of writing up a Guide to... Cleaning and Restoring cartridges now but have a look at this photo...

How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Polished

These are P220 MGC cartridges complete with pistons and primers. They've just had 3 hours tumbling in my polisher and then sieved out of the polishing compound in a kitchen collander.

They come out beautifully shiny and the o-rings don't get damaged either as the medium used for polishing is a ground up walnut husk based material that doesn't scratch.

Given long enough in the polisher, even inside the cartridge is cleaned and polished too.

I'll sort out the Guide asap.

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 am

***Post by Madmike***

You can polish the outer surface by using a metal / chromium polish paste and a cloth. This polish paste is often used for chromium parts on cars and won't damage your carts, but it is almost impossible to polish carts inside ... I got nice results for the outer surface, but it means quite a lot of work, the right thing to do while watching a boring movie or TV show.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am

One way to polish inside cartridges is with a mascara brush (see the posts on Loading Marushin / MGC cartridges).
The brush used with metal polish can help to restore the surface but as MadMike says, it's a long and tedious job if you've a lot of them

The Lyman type Tumble Polisher does a pretty good of cleaning both outside and inside surfaces but it is worth ensuring that the cartridges are washed first with an UltraSonic cleaner or other methods.

Most important tip of all is to clean every cartridge after every shooting session.

Wink

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 am

***Post by ricks***

cerwyn wrote:
One way to polish inside cartridges is with a mascara brush (see the posts on Loading Marushin / MGC cartridges).
The brush used with metal polish can help to restore the surface but as MadMike says, it's a long and tedious job if you've a lot of them
Cerwyn

Would a Dremel or other handheld rotary tool help? Some of them even have a speed control, as a lower speed might be better. Also a good pair of "sticky," e.g. silicone rubber or the like, work gloves might help with keeping a good grip so that a brass round doesn't go flying off at 20,000 rpm. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 am

Hiya ricks,

Well I guess a Dremel might help but I don't think I'd want to be holding onto a little brass tube with a rotary brush doing 20,000 rpm in it Shocked
Burnt fingers come to mind as well as flying cartridges...

If the rotary brush was too abrasive it might even remove too much brass from the bore leading to a loss of gas seal between the cap & bore or the piston o-ring & bore.

Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:18 am

***Posted by ricks***

There are some heavy felt tips available and - maybe - a brush or two. The model I have will throttle down to next to nothing...

I guess no one needs yet another way to burn his fingers with this hobby.

FWIW, Nevr-Dull might be put around the end of a stick or broken drill bit & used manually or - for the daring - with a rotary tool.
Here's their website:

http://www.nevrdull.com/

Rick
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Another idea I've tried recently: "Cif Cream" (in some countries I've seen it named "Jif"). It is normally used to clean/polish kitchen stuff, but experiment showed that it easily cleans brass from oxidation and other surface issues.
I put a drop of Cif Cream on cartridge and gently rub it (with bare hands, gloves, piece of paper...) on surface.
Using this method I have restored some old, used cartridges that I got uncleaned, dirty and discolored. Ultrasonic cleaner helped in the beginning, but couldn't remove most of "coating". I do not have a tumble polisher, so I have tried Cif Cream, as described.

In long term this may probably remove tiny amounts of brass from cartridges, slightly changing their dimensions.
Back to top Go down
FJ AWAY
FJ AWAY

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : Adelaide South Australia
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 6:12 am

I use BRITE SHINE (cotton wadding polish ) ,you can get it here in Australia at all good Auto Shops. It is made by a company called Maserati (not the cars ! ). You just rip a small piece of this cotton wadding cloth that is soaked in a cleaner/polish and start rubbing. works great and quick. I only use the wadding every once and a while just to bring back the shine of the brass.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Brite-Shine-Metal-Cleaner-Polish-Gpnc_647--37875969.htm

But I also use the sonic cleaner for cleaning after firing and its a time saver.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***   How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim*** Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to restore old modelgun rounds ***Originally posted by jim***
Page 1 of 1