MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Protecting gold modelgun finish?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stuart Antony
Stuart Antony

Number of posts : 12
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-05-02

Protecting gold modelgun finish? Empty
PostSubject: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes, I know, the opposite question to the one normally asked hehe.

Long story short, I'm still waiting on the arrival of a gold Marushin M712 Schnellfeuer.

I'm intending to use it as a film and photo prop (as well as a nice thing to have). But I do have some special plans for it.

To keep it suitable for the rather flamboyant character who'll be using it. The idea is to make it more closely resemble a presentation model. This will no doubt be pricey, but at the moment I'm unsure if it can actually be achieved at all.

This is an older C96 model, and I'd probably be incorporating more traditional scrollwork. But just to give you an idea, the inspiration would be something like this.

Protecting gold modelgun finish? <a href=Protecting gold modelgun finish? MauserEngraved-1" />

I'm slowly learning hand engraving, but I'm certainly not up to that standard yet. I'm also uncertain as to how the often very soft zinc alloy used would hold up to hand engraving anyway (at least certainly the undisciplined gougings of a rank amateur) I certainly don't have the thousands it would cost to commission a professional hand engraver, so I'm thinking laser engraving might be a safer and certainly more budget friendly option.

I'm aware that the very thin finish can be polished off by hand. And I'm not sure how well it will stand up to the process of engraving and then blackening to give it that authentic antique gold appearance. So I'm not sure if it would be an idea to replate the gun first, whether there is anything else that can be done to protect it, or if in fact the finish is more rugged than I'm giving it credit for.

I don't know if anyone else has tried something like this, but any thoughts or advise will as always be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
lampwick
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
lampwick

Number of posts : 359
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 12:47 am

It would be more sensible to replate it AFTER you have had it engraved.
Back to top Go down
Stuart Antony
Stuart Antony

PostSubject: Re: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:12 am

You think it would definitely need that then? I realise it's a slightly uncommon thing to do. Most finish mods I've encountered lean more towards field worn realism, but I was just wondering if anyone else had done something similar?

My biggest problem is I've still never actually held one. I have an HFC airsoft carbine version, and the metal used on that seems surprisingly sturdy. No doubt I'll have a better idea on these when I finally get my hands on one. Still they just seem to be the best metal model available for what I want at present.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 11:49 am

This is an interesting project  Exclamation I'll look forwards to seeing the finished model

I tend to agree with Lampwick, it sounds more reasonable to re-plate the model after engraving. The factory gold plate is very thin and wears away surprisingly quickly just by handling during strip down and reassembly after firing. Engraving would no doubt cut straight through the gold layer exposing the nickel plate beneath at best, or more likely cut down to the base zinc alloy casting.
Cold Bluing or Blacking compounds such as Birchwood Casey's range should colour the exposed zinc for you. Depth of colour would depend on how many coats you apply.
But if you want that antique gold look I'd imagine you would need an uniform layer of plating all over the model  :?:What I don't know is whether or not cold bluing compound would work effectively on gold plating  scratch    

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Stuart Antony
Stuart Antony

PostSubject: Re: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you.

Yeah it's an interesting puzzle. I figured being 24 carat the plating probably was very thin indeed, and that's what I mainly needed confirming. Exposing the alloy underneath with engraving actually wouldn't be a problem. Gold itself doesn't tarnish, but an old gold look tends to develop through multiple tiny scratches on the surface. There are companies that offer this process, but actually it's the engraving that needs to be darkened. So in this case if a metal that better responds to blackening agents is exposed, that's actually a plus. I'm intending quite a high percentage of surface coverage, so the rest can stay shiny that's fine.

But that's why i'm in a bit of a quandary about whether to get it replated before or after, as I may not actually want the engraving itself re coated with gold (if you see what I mean).

The idea eventually is to have two as the character's a bit of a duel wielder (sorry to be predictable). So one is gold the other is nickel but similarly engraved. It's meant as a bit of an antiquated nod to the guns Ebony and Ivory from Devil May Cry for those familiar with that game.

But yeah this will certainly not be a cheap project. For a film or video I'd normally just hire props. Unfortunately in this case these "hero" props are heavily and irreversibly modified in very specific ways. I don't imagine the people hiring them would much appreciate me doing that, so I've got to buy them really and sort it out myself.  Protecting gold modelgun finish? 3173599695 (these icons are a hoot).

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protecting gold modelgun finish?   Protecting gold modelgun finish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protecting gold modelgun finish?
Page 1 of 1