MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC68 MP40 ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 92
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-04-13

MGC68 MP40 ? Empty
PostSubject: MGC68 MP40 ?   MGC68 MP40 ? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,
As promised, here are the pics of my brother's MGC68 MP40. This is a strange one as it does not have a serial number at all, not even on the barrel or barrel shroud  Question 
It is purely a model gun, not a PFC or a blanker so I have been told but I will ask for a pic to see how the barrel is blocked. It's also mostly steel  Shocked 
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_110
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_210
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_310
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_410
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_510
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_610
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_710
MGC68 MP40 ? Mp40_810
Areas marked in red are steel, green is for pot-metal. I believe this is a 2nd generation '40 as the bolt spring is not exposed and cannot be seen from the left hand side  Question  Do correct me if I am wrong  Embarassed 
Broomie
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC68 MP40 ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40 ?   MGC68 MP40 ? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Thank very much for these photos broomie  Very Happy 

This model would have left the factory as a non-firing dummy version. The dead giveaway are the 2 holes drilled through the receiver and through the chamber. These can be seen just in front of the 2 Allen socket head screws securing the Magazine Well in place. There may well be a slot cut into the receiver on the underside beneath trunnion and barrel nut.

Receivers were normally plugged like this:

MGC68 MP40 ? MGC68_MP40_5

Here's the barrel showing the carbon steel rod running along its' length

MGC68 MP40 ? MGC68_MP40_4

I have seen one barrel that was completely blocked however.

The bolt is a curious one. MGC cast the bolt and charging handle as a one piece unit.
As your charging handle is zinc, the bolt should be too. The extractor would be steel though.

Pistol grip and foregrip panels are plastic whereas the real guns used Bakelite.

This model seems to be a slight mix of Mid and Late production types, perhaps a transition model?
Reading through the registry

The majority of it is Mid production, with some Late parts or methods.

Magazine Well is Late, being 2 piece with straps overlapping and spot welded
Receiver is Late having 2 drilled holes
Recoil Tube/Spring is Early/Mid production
Lack of Serial Number suggests it is Mid to Late as it appears MGC stopped numbering each gun

I hope this is of some help  Very Happy 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
broomie
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 92
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2014-04-13

MGC68 MP40 ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40 ?   MGC68 MP40 ? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Holy smoke  Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation  You can tell all that from just looking at the pics  Question Question Question Cerwyn, you can get a PhD on the subject Shocked
I was kind of disappointed that there's no serial number on the gun  Crying or Very sad  So, as you rightly pointed out, it is a mid to late production '40 - I & my brother have yet to gather enough courage to strip our '40s to check the the bolts & receivers  Embarassed I will probably end up sending mine to Kickback to have mine converted to a blanker when my MVT membership comes through in June. So wait for Kickback to update you on my '40.
I will do my best to get a pic of the barrel plug of my brother's '40, but without knowing how to strip it , it's gonna be difficult  Embarassed 
Thanks for identifying the '40, you've been a fountain of information  Very Happy BTW, would you know if this model gun '40 could be converted to a blanker , or should it be kept "as is" purely for collectable value Question 
Broomie
P.S. My brother's '40 only cost him US$500 (including shipping & import duties), mine was a fraction more but his is just awesome - it's almost mint  Exclamation 
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC68 MP40 ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40 ?   MGC68 MP40 ? Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 10:53 am

Hi broomie,

Thank you for your kind words but I can't claim any merits for the info I've passed on really.
All the info is already in this Forum, it's just a matter of sifting through all the stuff that's here. I've been collecting modelguns for about 10 years now and joined this forum 9 or so years ago.
MP38s and MP40s are my favourites. I was ecstatic when I got my MGC68 MP40  Very Happy 

I'm certain that Kickback can tell you if converting yours and your brothers to blank firing is feasible or not. He has plenty of experience with these

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

MGC68 MP40 ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40 ?   MGC68 MP40 ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC68 MP40 ?
Page 1 of 1