MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spare parts for an MGC Thompson

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy 542

Number of posts : 8
Location / Country : Halesowen UK
Registration date : 2014-06-08

Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Empty
PostSubject: Spare parts for an MGC Thompson   Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 am

Hi there,

I have just joined this forum after acquiring an MGC Thompson SMG this is the 1928 model with the pistol fore grip and 50rd drum magazine. I am a WW 11 re enactor and having attended a 1940's event at the weekend I was informed by someone who has the same weapon that the plug that should be fitted into the breech that fires the cap was missing and the bolt has the extractor claw missing.

Does anyone know where an replacement bolt and a plug can be obtained from? If so where from and what would be the likely cost?

The 50 end drum has its innards missing, but I wish to use a 20rd stick mag , with a dummy silencer fitted over the Cutts compensator which would be in keeping with the weapons issued to SOE and Royal Marine Commandos of the period. I would be grateful for any help in this area and look forward to any replies to this thread.

Many thanks in advance
Tommy
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Spare parts for an MGC Thompson   Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Welcome to the forum!

MGC Thompson is an awesome piece of model engineering!

I hope you will find help restoring your model to its full glory :-)

One option for parts is this forum - when you ask for some parts, someone might have them. In particular please PM Katsuro to check if such parts are available from Japan.
Another option is asking at well known shops.
PFCGUK carries not only models, but also spare parts, and owner is very helpful to collectors. They are located in UK, and ship worldwide with applicable legal paperwork:
http://www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com/index.html
MG-PROPS is a second UK shop that reopened recently. They carry mainly complete models, and used to only provide spares/parts for models bought directly from them, but you can check if this policy has changed:
http://www.mg-props.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Tommy 542

Number of posts : 8
Location / Country : Halesowen UK
Registration date : 2014-06-08

PostSubject: Thanks to all who responded   Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi to everyone who has responded to my previous requests/posts,

I would like to thank you all for your invaluable help in locating the spares needed to get my MGC Thompson up and running Very Happy 

It turns out that my Thompson is an early type with an open barrel and should give more realistic results (smoke and sparks out of the end of the barrel hopefully) and on this subject what kind of caps to use to this effect? John at PCFGUK suggest "Realflame" brand or loading each round with alternate types.

Any suggestions guys as to which type give the best pyrotechnic results and the most realistic sound Question 

All I know is I can't wait for the bits to arrive so I can let fly lol! Spare parts for an MGC Thompson 1498934320 
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Spare parts for an MGC Thompson   Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi and welcome!

Smootik is absolutely right about the MGC Thompson - they are great models for firing performance and reliability. And the open-barrel version is tops!

As far as realism, the idea of flames from the muzzle on a Thompson is more "Hollywood" than realistic in my opinion. If you ever see any videos of a real Thompson, you will see only smoke from the barrel and no real muzzle flash.

My personal favorites are the MG caps. I always get loads of smoke from them. I am lucky enough to own an open barrel Tommy, as well, and it produces loads of smoke with the MG caps. For a model with the piston-type cartridges, it is actually quite loud. It is also quite capable of reliably firing a full 20-round mag. There are vids on YouTube showing this. I also have a short clip I made of mine if you'd like to see it (PM).

As far as locating spares and parts, I'm on board with what Smootik says there, also. I've had personal experience with all of the folks he has suggested and I highly recommend them. cheers 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare parts for an MGC Thompson   Spare parts for an MGC Thompson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare parts for an MGC Thompson
Page 1 of 1