MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New High Performance .223" Cartridge

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New High Performance .223" Cartridge Empty
PostSubject: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 am

New High Performance .223" Cartridge Mqdefault

Here's a new cartridge design which should be of interest to MGC M4A1 / M16 series modelguns...

Firstly, the video above demonstrates how these home produced cartridges perform when loaded with pistol ammunition Primers, not caps. Note that as far as UK Law is concerned, ammunition Primers may only be purchased by FAC holders. All is not lost, however, as a cap loaded version of these cartridges are available.
Following discussions with "Peter Simmens", designer and manufacturer of these cartridges, I have 30 rds for testing.
I also obtained his custom made Buffer assembly and spring for evaluation.

A full test and report will follow asap. First impressions are very favourable, these cartridges are beautifully made and perform very well with 5mm caps. They are not as powerful as the video's Primer loaded examples but nevertheless very good replacements for brass MGC .223" CP cartridges.

Watch This Space for a full Review...

New High Performance .223" Cartridge 223hig10

New High Performance .223" Cartridge 223hig11

New High Performance .223" Cartridge 223hig12

New High Performance .223" Cartridge 223hig13

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Photos updated using Servimg)
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 139
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 10:16 am

What about the prices ?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 10:43 am

Cartridges are approx. €59 for 10, the Buffer Assy and Spring €49

Enquiries / orders can be sent to Peter Simmens through Youtube's messaging service.

Standard of workmanship and attention to detail on these parts is exceptionally good. A lot of machining work has gone into making each component part so they're not as expensive as you'd think once you see them in detail 

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1226
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Oh! wow they look good got to get me some of those. You sure on the pistol primers Cerwyn, you never needed a firearms cert when i was reloading for them, but that was many yrs ago and the law has changed several times since then.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Those certainly do look promising. If I still had my MGC M4 I'd be giving those a go! Sadly I sold it some time ago.

I wonder about the other wear parts of that particular model, though, too. When I shot mine, it didn't seem to take long to see wear on some of the tiny metal parts in the bolt - can't remember but I think it was the ejector. I think there was also a metal wear plate in the receiver that contacted the ejector that didn't take long to show wear also.

Great model though and I wish I still had mine. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1226
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 8:58 am

Your right on the wear on the other parts and i think its the extractor but you may be right on the ejector. if i remember correctyly the extractor moves (slides) and it burrs up real quick and stops moving which stops the gun working right. maybe making another extractor out of a harder material would stop that?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Claymore and ljerr,

Section 35 of the VCR Act makes it an offence to purchase Centre Fire Primers unless authorised to do so with a FACertificate covering a relevant firearm.

These new cartridges can be loaded with 2 x 5mm caps which work fine although the carts don't come flying out of the gun with the same speed and power as in the video.

Wear of metal parts, particularly the Zinc Bolt, will be a problem eventually even when using standard Brass cartridges. These new carts have a steel rim which will probably wear the Zinc bolt even faster (?) I guess a steel bolt is the answer there.
Burring on the Extractor and Ejector happens fairly regularly and quickly so checking them during cleaning and maintenance becomes even more essential. Burrs can be removed with a small file or abrasive paper so good firing performance can be achieved.

I will sort out a full review / video of these carts using caps as soon as I possibly can.

Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 139
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Cerwyn,

what about your review ?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Yes indeed, I am very much overdue with all my planned Reviews and write-ups Embarassed 

I'll make every effort to get something sorted for you.

My MGC M4A1 broke it's Upper Receiver locking lug, a very common problem with them. That has been repaired as detailed elsewhere on the Forum pages.
What I may do is use these cartridges in my Marushin M16 and XM177, both converted to Centre Fire and to accept MGC .223" cartridges. That way I can Review the conversion and cartridges too.

cyclops   

Back to top Go down
Gecko

Number of posts : 11
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2017-02-11

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 am

Hello Cerwyn,

this cartridge design is very interesting. Unfort. I was not able to get in contact with the inventor to order some of the cartridges because there is no way to get in contact with him via youtube.
Do you have the possibility to forward me his contact details?
If not, could you share some detail views of the single components of the cartridge here. Esp. Inner view of base, top view of piston and an inner view of the case?
I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Gecko
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeFri Jun 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello Gecko

The inventor is a Forum member too. You can contact Jatimatic using PM or e-mail.

I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been away on holiday.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 5:03 pm

New photos added using Serving

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New High Performance .223" Cartridge   New High Performance .223" Cartridge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New High Performance .223" Cartridge
Page 1 of 1