MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

Number of posts : 84
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Empty
PostSubject: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi guys,

I have a question with regard to the Marushin XM177E2 kit. I am asking in the main forum to get more attention; hope that is not a problem.

There exist two versions of the mentioned kit: One with a factory-painted receiver and the other with a bare, unpainted receiver.

That second kit includes a spray bottle with black lacquer to paint the gun by oneself.

Could somebody tell me the brand or label of that “Marushin-paint”?

I am up to refinish my XM177E2 and want to use the original paint, because I like the deep dull black they use. Also it seems, that this well covering paint sticks very good on the aluminium receiver; one reason more for me to take the original varnish.

Thank’s in advance for your valued hints.

Jati

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:35 am

Hello Jati!

I don't know what kind of spraypaint Marushin was using back then, since their kits are coming painted from the factory for many years now. I doubt that you will find one of the original spraycans, even in Japan.

I have painted an aluminum modelgun using KG GunKote, which turned out great (flat balck finish). But this coating is hard to get in Germany and will need a lot of work (degreasing the parts, applying by airbrush, heating in oven, oiling).

For covering small spots I recommend Revell semi gloss black (Seidenmatt schwarz 32302), it matches the color quite well.

If you want to spray paint the whole model I recommend a good flat black spraypaint from Duplicolor. But make sure to degrease the model well first.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 9:50 am

Hi Jati,

At a guess I'd say the same paint was included in Marushin's UZI kits. I'm almost sure one of our members has an unbuilt UZI kit in his collection. 
Let me do some searching, I may be able to track this kit down. Although any information on the aerosol can is likely to be in Japanese there may be some information there you can use.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank’s for your effort, Cerwyn. I bet they use Tamiya paint, but not sure.

Don’t like the secret-mongering about Ceracote, GunKote etc. If I look for dealers and prices of that stuff (for DIY), I find nothing concrete. Same with Brownell’s Aluma-Hyde II. All seems nebulous and shady, and it looks like, that you have to cajole like a cripple by the wayside to get it. So, these guys can stuff their stuff wherever they want.

Kindest regards.

Jati
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:18 pm

My thanks go to Forum member MadMike for the following photos of Marushin's Black Spray paint supplied with their early M16 / XM177 / M655 kits.

Later kits exported from Japan were not supplied with paint due to Airline Carriage Restrictions. The UZI kit owned by Forum member 8ace was not supplied with paint for instance.

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Marushin%20Black%20Paint%202

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Marushin%20Black%20Paint%203

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Marushin%20Black%20Paint%201

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Marushin%20Black%20Paint%204

Hopefully one of our Japanese members can translate the script on the can and give us any relevant information.

As it's highly unlikely due to Airline restrictions that this exact paint will not be available outside Japan, my thoughts are that Plastikote Enamel Satin Black would give a very similar finish  Question
I refinished one of my UZIs with it, see here -

Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Many thanks for lightning me up.

I guess, the bottle contains Tamiya-paint, especially made for Marushin.

Kind regards.
Jati
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi Jati,

It may well be Tamiya paint. Only a translation of the script could confirm that or not I'd guess.
Fortunately, Tamiya model paints are available in a huge range of colours and finishes worldwide so obtaining a Satin Black and suitable Primer shouldn't be to difficult.

If it does, however, then Plastikote's range works well.

Good luck !

Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi,
Only thing I can tell from the photo is, this is metal color, not suitable for plastic. May not be one from Tamiya, but did not mentioned about a maker or more specific ingredients unfortunately.

S
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:17 am

shazhib wrote:
Hi,
Only thing I can tell from the photo is, this is metal color, not suitable for plastic. May not be one from Tamiya, but did not mentioned about a maker or more specific ingredients unfortunately.

S
Thank you for your post shazhib  Very Happy Having someone read Japanese is really helpful.  

Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 12:37 pm

shazhib wrote:
Hi,

S

Thank's Shazhib for your effort. That Marushin Color is of high quality; it sticks excellent on the aluminium body, is scratch-proof and solvent resistant (made some tests with Acetone). But unfortunately it is hard to identify and even if I would know the exact brand and manufacturer, as Cerwyn said I could not order one due to airline carriage restrictions.

I will do the paint job with some 2K varnish.

Kindest regards.
Jati
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question   Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin XM177E2 non-painted kit/Question
Page 1 of 1