MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
evan_mayer845

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : Minnesota US
Registration date : 2015-07-30

WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Empty
PostSubject: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 4:32 am

Hello all!
I'm new to the model gun world and recently acquired my first, an open barrel MGC m1921 in very good condition. Unfortunately it has the golden finish, which i will be removing and refinishing for display at reenactments. My biggest probelm is that it came with no cartridges and caps. As many of you know, becuase we can own full auto firearms in the US, the model gun community is very small here. I cannot find anyone selling these early open barrel type cartridges in the US, or anyone worldwide willing to ship them, if they even have them in stock. I would like to buy some from a fellow forum member, and even a lead to a website selling them would be helpful. Let me know if you have anything!
thanks,
Evan
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Hello Evan, welcome to the Forum  Very Happy

The old Open cartridge and Paper Cap system became obsolete way back during the 1970s. 
It IS possible to find Open cartridges though, some Japanese custom shops are making that type but mostly in .38" and Tanio Koba's plastic .45ACP GM-7 series.

All cartridges available now are intended to use plastic bodied 7mm or 5mm caps.

Fortunately, the MGC Thompson can be relatively easily converted to fire the current type of cartridges, known as CP-HW.
You will need a new Chamber and Detonator Pin, a new Bolt and possibly a little work inside the upper receiver to reshape the internal casting so the new bolt will slide freely.
My own Open Barrel model has been converted as have many others with great success.

The Thompson uses cartridges that are slightly smaller than the other .45ACP modelgun pistols so be aware when buying cartridges to bu the specific MGC Thompson type.

If you're intending using the Thompson for Reenacting, you'll need a shell catcher on the gun. These cartridges are re-useable, expensive and a real pain to find if strewn across a field Laughing 

From a collectors point of view, if you want to keep the modelgun in original form, you might be lucky and source the old Open Cartridges from forum member kharris (Ken) who is based in California.
You can send him a Private Message through the "Message" option above.

Forum member ljerr2, also based in the USA, may well be able you too.

For any conversion parts, new CP-HW cartridges and caps, contact johnnyV either through the Message service or directly at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com

Interesting reading for you will be here:-

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f18-mgc-thompson

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2495-mgc-cal-45-smg-12x30-thompson

As always, if there's anything you need to know or ask, please don't hesitate to ask.

Keep us posted with your progress please?

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
evan_mayer845

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : Minnesota US
Registration date : 2015-07-30

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you Cerwyn,
I intend to collect modelgun Thompsons, and dont want to convert a pre 68 thompson since there are already few around in their original configuration. I wont be using it for reenacting (i own a handful of real weapons for that) but rather as an item to display and demonstrate the function of the Thompson. I actually bought the gun from ljerr2 but had no source for the catridges. I'll have to see if kharris has any, otherwise, how easy would it be to machine our own? I have access to a CNC and bridgeport machine. I'm sure theres a thread on it here somewhere..
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I have a box of 20 of the open rounds but as you are in the states i would not like to guarantee they would get you.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Evan,

Keeping your early Thompson in its' original state makes good sense. These MGC Thompsons fire really well so although it's a pity not to be able to fire the one you have, I like your idea of collecting some more, hopefully you'll have one at least that you can enjoy firing.

I see claymore has a box of 20 early open cartridges. There's a stroke of good luck ! From a Collector's point of view having the original cartridge Box will be a bonus.

Over the years I've bought various parts including cartridges from the 'States and received them without any bother. Items bought from Ken Harris would have a note included stating they were Inert, intended for Models, not Real guns.
I'd imagine the same would apply with empty Modelgun cartridge cases being sent to the USA?

Once you have the correct dimensions, you can certainly make suitable cartridges. A CNC and Bridgeport machine should handle those quite easily.

Looking forwards to reading about your progress,

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's   WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WANTED: early open type paper cap MGC 1921 .45 acp PFC's
Page 1 of 1