View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ljerr2
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 312
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 am

Hi All -

These are just a few still frames, but thought I'd share the results of my experimentation this weekend.
The gun is a Tanio Koba M4 10.5" fitted with a Zeke chamber and hollow detonator using Tanio Koba cartridges with the Zeke inner pistons.

Not all rounds were of the same flash magnitude, as my loading was inconsistent.  However, there was a tremendous amount of flash with the powders. The still frame pics seem to exaggerate the flash a bit, as it happens so quickly in real time.

First still frame capture is the gun using no powders.  It has modest flash, but it is noticeable, especially on full auto.

This second image is using some prop powder I was able to obtain from a friend.............

This third image is using Aluminum powder.  I didn't realize this was all you needed to do to get some serious flash!  I used some dark powder I purchased from ebay.

As you can tell, I have a thing or two to learn about loading the powder quantities.  Loading the powder is a pain unless you have a tiny lab spatula type of tool (which I don't have).  I'm guessing getting the amounts right shouldn't be too hard with a little more experimentation.

The powders do make a mess of the gun though, with lots of residue left behind.  I imagine some of that was from my overloading, but some is likely a byproduct of the powder use.  I took everything apart and cleaned it well after this firing session.  

Thought you all might be interested in the results...........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mystikchepas

Number of posts : 78
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

This is a very interesting experimentation !
Which powder is legal ?
I mean that you can buy without any licence or whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ljerr2
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm

The Aluminum powder can be purchased here in the US without any special license or permit.  I literally just got on Ebay and ordered some.  It should be noted that aluminum powder is no joke!!!  Even though it is just powdered aluminum and wouldn't seem to need special care, it must be treated as a potentially very reactive/combustible chemical.  Powdered aluminum is a common ingredient in pyrotechnics/fireworks!!!!!!

Here's a link about aluminum powder handling:
http://www.eckart.net/fileadmin/eckart/Service/GDA_Alupulver_Safety_engl.pdf

When I did research online about "flash powders", I found that it seemed the general recipe is aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate.  Add flame to this mixture and you'll get a flash and boom.  Well, I figured we already have the ignition source, and boom with the caps, so all we need is the metal fuel of aluminum to get the flash effect.................and it really works.

It is legal to purchase these chemicals in the US, but I don't know about anywhere else.  Again, if you buy these ingredients, be prepared to handle and store them cautiously.  I've read that aluminum powder can be very dangerous if not treated properly.  If you decide to experiment with it, be careful and do your own research and investigation!

I forgot to mention in the original post, I also tried a powder called Lycopodium, which is used as a flash powder by some magicians.    It did NOT work for me in the cap/cart environment.
I wish it would have worked because it is the safest powder alternative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mystikchepas

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot for these precious information !
I think I will try to expriment aluminium powder (if this is legal here in France)
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 699
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Wow,that is some flash especially out of a long barrel (at least longer than a pistol). I have to say i am very envious of the rather expensive tanio koba M4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

Number of posts : 10709
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 pm

That's some flash you achieved there!

You can make a powder dispenser quite easily by taking a drinking straw and cutting one end at about 45 degrees. This makes a perfect scoop which makes getting equal quantities of powder relatively easy.

Keep up the good work!  

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mystikchepas

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

ljerr2, can you post the full length videos ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ljerr2
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 am

Here is the one with Al powder...........

I only loaded 5 carts while doing the experiment.  I am thinking of trying it again with more consistent powder measurement.  Also, I had one misfire - not sure why, but maybe an old cap.  I've had some of my caps for many, many years!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mystikchepas

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 am

Yes that's really nice ! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   

Back to top Go down

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1