MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flash Powder

Go down 
+2
ljerr2
Cerwyn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 5:02 pm

--To be Continued --

Flash Powder 65cd8110

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Now if I could figure out how to get some flash powder!!!!

One of these days I've got to get back to experimenting with some Black Al powder, which seemed to have worked really, really well, too.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am

Shazhib managed to get me this Flashpowder some time ago. One of the Japanese stores was offering it for sale on Yahoo Japan's Auction site.
The scanned image above is from my Photobucket album, reposted using Servimg.

When I've some more time I'll write some details about its' performance and hopefully post a video too. This does work well in revolvers....           

Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 139
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 11:33 am

Is it legal to buy ?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 11:42 am

Mine passed through Customs without any problems.
I guess you  would need to check the regulations enforced by French laws before ordering any

Back to top Go down
Catweazle

Number of posts : 35
Location / Country : England
Registration date : 2019-12-05

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 7:20 pm

ljerr2 wrote:
Now if I could figure out how to get some flash powder!!!!

One of these days I've got to get back to experimenting with some Black Al powder, which seemed to have worked really, really well, too.

I'm new to PFC guns. I only have western revolvers because I don't have a VCRA, but I love them. I'd like to add some flash powder to my caps for a better muzzle flash, but I don't know anything about powders. Would extracting powder from fireworks work?
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1232
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 2:20 pm

If you used firework powder i think you would blow your gun up and possibly your hand. So NO! do not use firework powder, (may even be illegal to do it).
magnesium powder is what is usually used, but i think that is hard to get hold of and you only need a little bit. Most of use gave up with flash powder as it dirtys up the rounds and gun plus loading the carts is a slow proccess in itself, so then adding a little flash powder just becomes time consuming and the effect is not always that succsessful.
Some japanese companies make double and triple cap carts for some models in order to get a decent flash, thats a better safer way to go.
Back to top Go down
Catweazle

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 6:47 pm

claymore wrote:
If you used firework powder i think you would blow your gun up and possibly your hand. So NO! do not use firework powder, (may even be illegal to do it).
magnesium powder is what is usually used, but i think that is hard to get hold of and you only need a little bit. Most of use gave up with flash powder as it dirtys up the rounds and gun plus loading the carts is a slow proccess in itself, so then adding a little flash powder just becomes time consuming and the effect is not always that succsessful.
Some japanese companies make double and triple cap carts  for some models in order to get a decent flash, thats a better safer way to go.
Thanks for that, you've convinced me to forget about it. I'm new to PFC guns, I have bought 3 so far but I worry about the availability of buying caps. I bought my first western revolver second hand without any caps and when I tried to buy caps I only found two shops that sold them and neither shop would sell them to me because I'd never purchased a gun from them. To overcome that problem I ended up buying guns from both shops just so I could get caps. As the delivery cost coupled with PayPal fees were quite high I placed orders with both shops for ten boxes of 5mm caps and ten boxes of 7mm to even the cost out a little. Both shops said their stocks were low and could not let me have that amount. One shop sells the caps for £10 per box and the other £8.50 a box. It seems to me these shops have a monopoly and it makes me worried that the expensive guns I have bought may one day be without caps. I've even considered buying the caps direct from Japan, but no one wants to ship them. How do you guys go on getting caps? Any advice would be welcomed.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Well you have just found out the biggest problem we have with modelguns and thats the cap situation. Going back a good few yrs we could import direct from japan and the caps were cheap and plentiful, then suddenly (i dont know which country decided) the clasification of the caps changed to being an explosive and that meant no more sending by air mail and also prohibited our Japanese contacts to send them to us.

So what to do, well John of Plugfirecapgunsuk as a seller of modelguns started the proccess of importing them. The problem being here as they are now considered an explosive, he cannot just order from the company, he needs a middle man and of course the correct paperwork Japan side, he needs special containers in which to ship them and then the shipping costs and then the cost of importation into the UK.

As you might expect this is not cheap, so by the time they get to us the cost has more than trebled, not much we can do about that as for me PFCGUK are the only place for me to get caps now and i understand why the caps are the price they are.

The worry of course is the importation of the caps stopping complety, not something i want to think of really seeing as how i have so many models.
Back to top Go down
Catweazle

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Wow, what a situation. Thanks for your reply, not the answer I was hoping for, but it is what it is. I’ve been keeping my used caps, I’m not sure why but I’ve wondered if there was a way to refill them , thus making my own caps. Not sure how,. I’d like to find out how they are made to see if refilling the empty caps could work. Of course I’ve no idea if such thing is possible. Do you guys know anything about how they are made? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Not a clue on how or what they are made of. In the UK i doubt there is any way of making a cap without breaking some law.
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 230
Location / Country : Northants, UK
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 pm

I buy flash powder from: illusion craft.co.uk

I use it to lightly tip the end of 8&9mm pak blanks to give them that little bit more flash. Even though top venting, it can give an ever so slightly enhanced effect. I also like to surprise party guests and throw it on our open log fire 🔥 at this time of year 😂
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flash Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash Powder   Flash Powder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flash Powder
Page 1 of 1