MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Please help with new Thompson

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
randyrhoads

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2018-01-05

Please help with new Thompson Empty
PostSubject: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

So I found this on Ebay with limited description. He says it fires the caps, but the pictures of the rounds look different than the reloadable ones I've seen on here. They look like one piece. Can you please check out these pictures and let me know what I'm dealing with? Can I order the caps and extra reloadable rounds? Thanks

Please help with new Thompson P58DzVw
Please help with new Thompson KtS9JeQ
Please help with new Thompson CCXU3Zr
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 118
Location / Country : Cambs, UK
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Not an expert on these, but I'm sure you can find more details here: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f18-mgc-thompson

I think that the non-firing versions might be converted to fire PFC's. A matter of getting the right chamber to replace the one on the non-firing version.

I'm sure one of the threads on the link, has someone's attempt at converting to pfc. Remember,although very heavy, that these are zinc alloy and not strong enough to fire Blanks.
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Not an expert on these, but I'm sure you can find more details here: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/f18-mgc-thompson

I think that the non-firing versions might be converted to fire PFC's. A matter of getting the right chamber to replace the one on the non-firing version (amongst other things!)

I'm sure one of the threads on the link, has someone's attempt at converting to pfc. Remember,although very heavy, that these are zinc alloy and not strong enough to fire Blanks.
Back to top Go down
randyrhoads

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 4:24 pm

You lost me. Are you saying this is not a PFC version? He said it was and I already purchased so I hope not.
Back to top Go down
randyrhoads

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 5:50 pm

I think I understand most of what you said after more reading (besides non firing).

This looks like the version that only shoots the cartridges where you stuff the cap in the end. That’s disappointing. Can it be modified to shoot the multiple piece cartridges (plugs)? How do I do it, how hard, and how expensive is it?
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm

As I alluded to before, I am not an expert in this particular modelgun, however, this thread in the MGC Thompson section of the forum: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t4555-wanted-early-open-type-paper-cap-mgc-1921-45-acp-pfc-s has a little bit about what is required to convert the paper cap version to pfc. If I read it correctly, the version you have will also have an open barrel, which means that smoke etc will forward vent. A lot of the more recent versions have closed barrels.
Hope this helps.

Andy
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm

This thread in the same section of the forum, also has some helpful information.

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t4938-mgc-1921-restoration

Andy
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 am

Welcome to the forum.
You have an MGC that has been "deactivated" for import into the USA- probably originally imported by the Collector's Armoury. It has never fired the blowback cartridges.

It can be made to fire as it was originally manufactured, but not without sourcing a number if parts and some work.
Your bolt is non-functional, you will have no chamber and detonator assembly, and lastly, no buffer on the recoil spring guide. Also, those carts in the picture were never for this model. You will need carts, too, and of course some caps.

You can probably find a lot of information here on the forum about this type of project.

Once again, welcome!

JL
Back to top Go down
randyrhoads

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 am

ljerr2 wrote:
Welcome to the forum.
You have an MGC that has been "deactivated" for import into the USA- probably originally imported by the Collector's Armoury.  It has never fired the blowback cartridges.

It can be made to fire as it was originally manufactured, but not without sourcing a number if parts and some work.  
Your bolt is non-functional, you will have no chamber and detonator assembly, and lastly, no buffer on the recoil spring guide.  Also, those carts in the picture were never for this model.  You will need carts, too, and of course some caps.

You can probably find a lot of information here on the forum about this type of project.

Once again, welcome!

JL

Please tell me this is a joke. The ebay seller said it fired them. Please respond ASAP if you're positive so I can cancel all the money I paid for this....

Edit. I asked for my money back. How can you tell that it doesn't fire? I really want to purchase one of these now, but don't want to get screwed again. Super pissed about this. I finally found the style I wanted for sale.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 am

Perhaps the seller didn't know..........
But from the pics you posted above:
there is a part of the receiver on the left side below the rear sight that is milled out - that is a sign of being "deactivated" for import. It removed the language about patent blowback cartridges I think.

The area in front of the mag well, on the bottom side shows it was drilled for a plug to be inserted instead of a chamber and detonator pin assembly.

The carts shown do not match any MGC Thompson cartridge.

One of the pics it seems I can see that the face of the bolt has been cut at an angle and obviously would be non-functional at that point. Usually the extractor is just a flat piece of metal, too, with no claw.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
randyrhoads

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 am

ljerr2 wrote:
Perhaps the seller didn't know..........
But from the pics you posted above:
there is a part of the receiver on the left side below the rear sight that is milled out - that is a sign of being "deactivated" for import.  It removed the language about patent blowback cartridges I think.

The area in front of the mag well, on the bottom side shows it was drilled for a plug to be inserted instead of a chamber and detonator pin assembly.

The carts shown do not match any MGC Thompson cartridge.

One of the pics it seems I can see that the face of the bolt has been cut at an angle and obviously would be non-functional at that point.  Usually the extractor is just a flat piece of metal, too, with no claw.

Hope that helps.  

I sure wish I could see what you're seeing.

How does this one look? PFC? It looks to be missing a switch. How hard is that to find and replace?

Please help with new Thompson E6GVy4Z
Please help with new Thompson DGDEYcI
Please help with new Thompson VnSlRrd
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Can't really tell much from those pics, other than that one is probably quite a bit older than the one you have already. The receiver screws on the top receiver indicate that.

These haven't been made for quite a long time now, so you can't just call a shop and order parts unfortunately. Sometimes parts can be found in Japan and friends at this forum can probably help. Those safety switches don't just fall out, so I'd be more concerned that someone was inside the receiver messing around for some reason - which could mean other issues.

Feel free to PM me directly and I'll be glad to try to help you out with info if I can. These MGC Thompson's are great models!

Back to top Go down
randyrhoads

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Im not sure how to pm you. I don’t see an option. Is this one a PFC firing one? Vented barrel?

Stupid thing won’t let me post a link of the chamber and top...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help with new Thompson   Please help with new Thompson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please help with new Thompson
Page 1 of 1