MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Visit from Police

Go down 
+3
muzzleflash
claymore
metradio
7 posters
AuthorMessage
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm

I am a collector of militaria, replica and deactivated firearms and recently purchased a EU/UK spec deativated Walther PPK, to display the pistol with a holster I decided to get a couple of spare genuine magazines, ordered the magazines on line, one from The Gunner in Lincolnshire and the other from Brownells in Rugby. Both magazines arrived OK a couple of weeks ago.
Just had a visit by the local Police this morning enquiring had I ordered a firearm magazine, why did I order it, etc etc ?
The copper had an internal request for information form, he wanted to know what else I had, why I had them etc.. He informed me that they followed up on intelligence, when reported, on people buying firearms spares (that are legal to buy over the counter, with no restrictions)..
Wonder if I will get an early morning wake up call in the near future Sad
Looks like they are compiling a register of people who collect replica and deacts..

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1232
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Sorry to hear that, its not a good sign for the future but it never ceases to amaze me how law abiding people get these knocks on doors yet real criminals seem to get left alone.
I would think the register has been going on for some time, far easier to pick on the innocent far less hassle for the authorities and then they can say they are doing something positive, general public gets fooled and the police tick a box.
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 230
Location / Country : Northants, UK
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

claymore wrote:
Sorry to hear that, its not a good sign for the future but it never ceases to amaze me how law abiding people get these knocks on doors yet real criminals seem to get left alone.
I would think the register has been going on for some time, far easier to pick on the innocent far less hassle for the authorities and then they can say they are doing something positive, general public gets fooled and the police tick a box.

It's just another step toward an inevitable Totalitarian future, where all freedoms are severely restricted. Orwell's prophesy is rapidly becoming fact unfortunately........and if Corbyn gets anywhere near No.10 in the future that really WILL spell the death knell for this hobby (and likely all firearms licencing to boot!)......

On the flip side, my local cop shop's Firearms's Licencing Section are proving difficult to get any response out of. I need my cabinet re-assessing after a house move and after reporting it to them last October (and several times thereafter!) I have heard sweet FA from them almost 5 months on. The onus is still on me though......

ETA: I would also advocate following the https://firearmsuk.org/ page on Facebook as they also support replica, deac & airsoft enthusiasts too.
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2018-02-01

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am

Hi all

I'm am active airsoft player at a registered airsoft site and have my ukara.

I currently have about 12 airsoft guns (which I rotate every game day) I also have some old spec deactivated guns with certificates, I also have a few model guns also.

Regarding the airsoft guns, they are used legally on site, regarding the deactivated guns, I grew up watching the terminator and absolutely loved the uzi's and spas 12's (hence the reason I bought them) regarding the model guns, I take them to airsoft and let a few pals fire them at the firing range (I know they don't propel anything from the barrel, but all weapons must be used at the firing range, whether it be airsoft, blank fires a etc)

As things go, all my airsoft guns are below 350fps which is my site limit, the deactivated guns I have, I would need to be a fantastic engineer to even salvage anything from them and lastly the model guns, they spark and smoke.

Obviously your always worried that you are within the legal requirement and keeping yourself right.

My question is, should I be worried at all

Thanks
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm

dvdripped wrote:
.....My question is, should I be worried at all....

Up till a few days ago I would have said no, not at all..
But now without breaking or circumventing the law I am being questioned as to why I am carrying out a lawfull activity..
The copper that visited me admitted that I had done no wrong and did not have to answer his request for information and that he had been told to visit me and ask a number of questions for intelligence purposes, he also mentioned that even if I had just told him to go away, I would have a firearms marker against my name..

Mike
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi pal

I spoke to the airsoft association and they don't see a problem regarding the airsoft guns, as they are 350fps and under which is legal.

The deactivated guns, even old spec ones are legal to hold as long as you have the correct certificate, obviously selling it or giving it away is illegal

The model guns cannot fire any projectile, yes they look real, but unless we are running around the street with them, then I can't see a problem, the good thing about them is you can fire them in your house and the bang isn't so loud, compared to blank firers where it is very loud and may alert someone.

I think it's wrong that we may need to let people know we have them, it's not as if we have section 5 firearms in our possession, I see it as a hobby, just like someone collecting what they are into, and because I like collecting guns (legal) doesn't make me a potential criminal or bank robber etc, but it feels like that.
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I wonder if existing Sec 1 & 2 holders would attract a visit if buying, say a spare mag for a deac. All ludicrous of course and a complete waste of public resources.

Dvdripped: Airsoft wouldn't attract such attention because they cannot be made to fire live ammo. A magazine for a deac is essentially an 'open accessory ', but still absolutely crazy it should warrant this kind of attention...
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Your absolutely right muzzleflash

As long as we are responsible and not runj8ng around the town with them, also when we transport them, keep them out of view of the public, in the car boot (out of sight, out of mind )

Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 pm

I think I have figured out who notified the Police, I ordered a spare 7.65mm PPK magazine from Brownells, they had to order it from the States, so HM Customs or whatever they call themselves now are top of the list...

Mike
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

So if customs found it, I take it they would have maybe contacted Brownells, who in turn gave them your information.
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 pm

I can't remember if it came via Brownells in the UK or was sent direct from Brownells in the States to me.. I don't remember receiving anything from the US in the last year Question

Mike
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Sorry, I must have got mixed up, I take it Brownells is usa based, if So, that's why you got a knock on the door, because you may have been getting different parts sent to make a complete gun, stupid as it sounds, may be why.

I know gun parts are flagged all the time, I wanted to by a hook for the stock on my spas 12, the company was in the US, but they told me they couldn't send it, as they wouldn't send gun parts to the uk, it was only a hook, nothing more
Back to top Go down
muzzleflash
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I would've thought Brownells in Rugby would've received it from Brownells USA and thence on to the UK customer. Direct to the customer from the US in that scenario is unorthodox imo.

Im surprised Dvdripped you couldn't get a hook for your Spas imported though as it's a non functioning part of the gun. I once imported a Sten mk2 skeleton stock from the US without issue - a mag though would be a different story..
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 pm

My only dealings with Brownells was Brownells of Rugby in the UK was via their website paid UKP inc VAT and UK postage, where they sourced the magazine was in their hands..

Mike
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Probably was asked for the buyers details, I could be wrong though.

Such a nightmare that you've had to deal with pal
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 am

I feel for you metradio.

But hopefully this is a gentle reminder to all our members for the need to be well inside local laws just in case of a visit from our boys and girls in blue.

8ace
Back to top Go down
SunHill999

Number of posts : 58
Location / Country : london
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: police.   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

This is insane. They don't want us to have anything! Look at deacs!
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Your right sunhill

The new law in deacts is ridiculous, the thing is, why spend a good part of around £700 for a new spec deact when you can't do anything with it apart from sit it on the pile of papers to keep them in place.

There is still old spec deacts kicking around, but that will be between collectors who know each other.

It's such a sad day
Back to top Go down
timothy d

Number of posts : 8
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2015-09-03

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 am

Sounds a sad state of affairs over there Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Visit from Police Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Police   Visit from Police Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visit from Police
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MP40's Modelguns Forum :: Modelgun General Discussion-
Jump to: