Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

Number of posts : 10733
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 am

Post by Mark

Hi John, the "glass-bead" is like a fine dust and actually is really smooth microscopic glass spheres that when they are shot at a surface with air pressure they leave microscopic round "dents"in the surface instead of the sharp, irregular sand particles. This leaves a nice smooth finish that looks factory.

Yes, in fact, I have used it on HW it looks great! And yes, if you tape the sides, you can get away from painting them which would be nice.

ジョン、やあ、「ビー玉」は純粋なちりのようで、本当に実際にスムーズな微細なガラスの球です彼らが気圧で表面を狙って撃たれるとき、彼らが微細な丸い「「鋭い、不規則な砂小片の代わりに表面でへこみを去る。これは、工場に見える素晴らしいなめらかな終わりを去ります。

はい、実際、私はそれが直視するHWの上で、それを使いました‖すばらしい!そして、はい、あなたが側をテープ記録するならば、あなたは素晴らしい彼らを塗ることから逃げることができます。
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 am

Post by garyforce

hey gang

i've just got my marushin enfild mk 2 kit from dentrinity (yay ! ) but...... the centerline is going to nee removing and of course a respray.

now.

because we're mainly dealing in plastic here. whats the recommendation some kind of enamle / acrylic spray paint or what ?? i dont have access to all your fancy gadgets you lot with your sand blasters hehe

so what do you recommend guys ?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 am

Post by John

Hi Gary,

I think you got the HW kit. I did once with my Marushin M84 HW kit. I just used sand paper to do it by hand, first with #400, then #1000. It toke me many hours to get it done. It took so long because I was afraid I over-did it & so I did it slowly & used tape to cover the areas that needed to be protected. Then I blued it.
I would say that experience of process is not pleasant at all, boring & tired.
For your Enfield, I imagine it would be even more difficult because it has a lot of "right angle" edges. You obviously don't wish the edges getting round after the sanding, don't you. So you need a lot of protection to avoid the sanding the edges, unless you have the right tool (I don't know).

Anyway, good luck. Please take the photos before & after the work, & share with us here.

BTW, I'll try to avoid the kits unless ....
It is really a time killer to me.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:24 am

Post by Mark

Gary, you shouldn't need to paint the Enfield just cut off the parting lines with a razor knife (Exacto) and finish them off with sand paper.And as Jhon suggested, it will take some time to sand down the parting lines but the effort is worth it.

If you really want to paint it, you really need an airbrush as that would be the best tool to do the job. However, a can of paint could be used but they can be tricky to use properly and light coats of paint have to be used to perserve the details. I think that the issued Enfields where painted with thick black enamel paint just like the Stens but, that would destroy any fine details like lettering etc. But, it might make the Marushin Enfield look real I suggest the local hobby shop for the paint and the equipment required.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 am

Post by garyforce

hey mark

to be honest i know i dont "have" to paint the model gun. but for me the difference in colour between the plastic parts and the metal .even infact between some of the plastic is too much for my liking. ranging from a black to a shabby worn out grey.

this wont do ...... not for a fussy sod like me

so a repainting is inevitable

airbrsuh wise ...... i've tired using those things before and they just dont like me ...im ok with spray cans ..... iv'e found that a mixture of applying and wiping off the paint works best ! (least for me anyway.) but just wondered wether it should be enamle or acrylic paint.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 am

Post by Mark

Well gary, i suppose that you should use enamel as that is what they originally used on the Enfield over the parkerisation so, it should look right using enamel.

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 am

Post by garyforce

cheers for the tips mark

i've still got to finish peicing the enfeild together and give it a test before i worry about 'the look' !

but when its all done and dusted you will find a review of it on here
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 am

Post by Mark

What you don't have it together already? I would have had that together in a half hour or less

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 am

Post by garyforce

oooOOOOoooo ..show off off ! hehehe

no i had a bit of bother with the "hammer parts" as theholes for the joints to go into are misaligned by less then half a millimeter but that has made life difficult and i've spent the best part of the day trying to locate a small enough file to help me out ...cause the last thing i want to do is go smaking this with a hammer

so ..should be together and sorted soon enough ..thought knowing me ill find a spring that should belong somewere
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 am

Post by Mark

Yes, the last thing that you need is to destroy any parts while assembling the Enfield so, take your time and put it together carefully. I have a Marushin M92F Brigadier kit that it took over two hours to finish but, a good percentage of the time was spent on the sanding and finishing and on repiles to the forums so, they can take some time to assemble especially watching the computer or the T.V.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:28 am

Post by garyforce

hehehe.well im going back out now to track down some sand paper etc. and i wont be distarcted by anything... tv off..fone off the hook .big sign on the door saying "naff off !" and just some good tunes on

(incidentaly..a mate of mine emailed me a tune earlier "guns dont kill people.... rappers do" ! its ace and quite funny .so ill have to have that on while i work ! )
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:28 am

Post by Mark

Oh, before i forget Gary, you might try to find a wooden dowel to wrap sand paper around to get into the cylinder flutes if they need sanding.

Back to top Go down
Ron Walker

Number of posts : 26
Location / Country : Isle of Man
Registration date : 2015-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Apparently "stealth" aircraft get dirty, from the general grime and muck that happens to be floating around in the air... and that layer of grime reduces the planes' "stealthiness". The problem is, if you clean the plane too rigourously, that ALSO destroys the high-tech Radar absorbing coating, and so equally reduces the stealthiness.
The solution is to use corn-starch as a very, VERY mild abrasive: mild enough to remove the crud, but without damaging the underlying paintwork. If ONLY one could turn up at ones local USAF base and ask them for "a pot of the stuff you use to clean stealth bombers"... well, there's no need. It's also widely available for civilian use, as "Astonish". You can buy it in your local Poundland store, in tubs. Used as a polishing compound, there's almost nothing better (certainly for the price!) to give an absolutely smooth finish. Rub it on with a damp rag, polish, wipe clean, rinse, and polish with an ordinary rag to remove any residue.

At the risk of being thought an LS Addict, the weapons that I've painted the most are polystyrene ones - a plastic well suited to making 1/72 Airfix Spitfires, but does NOT lend itself well to the stress-bearing innards of a self-loading pistol. On the other hand, it does paint up rather well. I used Humbrol's railway colours - "Dirty black" usually, painted with a sable brush, and then "distressed" by dry-brushing "Silver Plate" (another Humbrol paint). The "dry brush" technique creates the optical illusion that where you've ADDED paint, it looks like you're removed it. Very small amounts of silver paint applied to a clean, dry brush, which is then repeatedly "dusted" across any edges or projections. The silver paint transfers onto exactly the parts where paint would wear away, giving (with some practice!) a convincingly "worn" appearance. Last thing is to reach into the shoe-cleaning box, and take out the sponge rubber impregnated with silicon wax "instant shoeshine" pad, and give the whole gun a quick wipe-over with it. It's not a permanent result... but for a few weeks, it WILL transform an eggshell-finish into something just a tad glossier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns   

Back to top Go down

Re-Paint (Spray) of Plastic Modelguns
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2