MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC M4A1 HW - short review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC M4A1 HW - short review Empty
PostSubject: MGC M4A1 HW - short review   MGC M4A1 HW - short review Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 8:36 am

I didn't get much sleep last night and when nursing a coffee at 5 am I decided to do a short review about the MGC M4A1.

I know that most of you know or even own this model. I got mine back in 2004/2005 when they were produced and available for approx. 350 USD.

I love this model and have to say it is worth every cent, so if you like the M4 and you are after a nice and realistic model, get one if you get the chance. Anyway a new one won't be available for less than 500 USD, even in Japan.

You can get a used one as well, but you should make sure that it is not worn too much (the brittle HW material can crack and break) and that it was treated well (a good clean-up after every shot is vital with all modelguns, or they will rust and corrode fast). Back then spares were easily available, but now as newMGC has closed-down for years, they are hard to come by, even in Japan.

Compared to the earlier rare full metal dummy HobbyFix M4A1 and the later plastic TanioKoba pfc M4A1, the MGC has some pros: It is cheaper, it can "fire" out of the box quite well and it still has a realistic look and feeling.

The MGC weighs unloaded (no magazine) 2,8 kg, the same as the full metal HobbyFix M4A1! I think that this is impressing for a plastic model.

The cons are that it is slightly less realistic than the HF M4A1 and that it will not be as reliable and durable when it comes to "firing" than the TanioKoba M4A1, which is a world class performer out of the box.

But if you want a realistic looking model and you would like to "fire" it from time to time, a MGC is the way to go.

The first production run came in a silver-grey finish, the second production run was flat black (the front receiver lugs were modified to the later, rounded A2 version then, so there are both versions available in black) and the last production run came in the silver-grey "natural HW" finish with new style lugs.

I would recommend to slight changes anyway:

Put a felt pad on the inner upper side of the stock so it won't wobble so badly. If you like, spray paint the stock flat black so it will look more realistic:

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075242_zps0th8eqoz

Get you some cheap, aftermarket real M4A1 hand guards (the thicker version with 7 holes). Real Colt parts will be hard to come by, but cheap aftermarket parts will do (I am using UTG ones from Taiwan):

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075348_zpsisc2mbdc

Other than that you are good to go.

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075729_zpszpgm5h6p

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075614_zpsjfgjzamj

If the set is complete, it should contain a magazine, various manuals, 10 carts (not olways in a seperate box), a "wrench-Like" tool and a tool for placing the hammer, Q-tips, a plastic tube "loading-tool" and a set of Allen keys.

The carry handle is full metal and was tested by our former forum founder Mark on a real AR-15 rifle with good results as he told me once.
You can place various optics on the rail.

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075929_zpsrigrhplf

Markings are okay, but not 100% realistic. U.S. military M4 Carbines should have a "W" suffix (note the round traces from casting):

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075941_zpsnj658hop

Most likely "Colt's Firearms Division" is not correct for a M4A1 Carbine, it should be "COLT'S MFG CO." prior to 2003, or "Colt Defense" for later Carbines. (As far as I know it was Colt's Patent Mfg Co. up until 1964. In 1964 they changed to Colt's Firearms Division because they were going to diversify, 1990 the name was changed to Colt Manufacturing Co.)

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075935_zps5nfjtorp

With real (thick) handguards and painted stock:

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_075025_zpsnrgpc2g0

For comparison
HobbyFix on top, MGC (with real handguards and painted stock) below:

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190716_074949_zpsvpy5iesh

MGC out of the box on top, HobbyFix below:

MGC M4A1 HW - short review 20190715_151516_zpsm5qyedsp

I hope you like this review.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1 HW - short review   MGC M4A1 HW - short review Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 am

Nice reveiw, must fire mine soon only problem being its a bit of a pain cleaning it.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1 HW - short review   MGC M4A1 HW - short review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 11:54 am

It is an enjoyable read! I especially like to see these little tips on how to improve the models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1 HW - short review   MGC M4A1 HW - short review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC M4A1 HW - short review
Page 1 of 1