MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson steel greasegun

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Hudson steel greasegun Empty
PostSubject: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Hudson steel greasegun, did a vid a while back with the original bolt and springs and using MGC thompson rounds, it worked but not great. The old zinc bolt is pretty strong and was showing no signs of wear but I thought a new steel bolt would be a better idea and new springs, so good old 8ace worked his magic again and also tweaked the magazine catch as it was a bit loose (thanks again 8ace).
With all the work done I thought all would be good but still had problems, so tried old hudson 45 rounds, c-tec rounds (c-tec) were not powerful enough to blow the bolt back) but still getting feeding problems. To be honest I am not sure the mag is the original hudson mag so I played around with it and decided the mag spring was too weak, I had a real mag and with a bit of adjustment to the mag lips it fits fine and feed problems cured (as well as they can be with a modelgun).

So, I now decided to try CAW thompson rounds in it to see if they would perform better and they do they work very well, but after a couple of mags fired problems again, lots of misfires and jams I really could not figure out why. Then after many many weeks of playing around I suddenly realised how dumb I was, I was looking for problems with the gun and not the rounds so looked at the simplest answer the piston seals and low and behold most were in a bad state. So new seals and try again, this time success, it now works probably as best it will.
You can see in the vid that you get some good bursts of fire with the same failure of cap problems or seals not performing and no matter what you get jams with all modelguns, but for a model built in the 60's and lets be honest hudson have never had a good reputation for good firing models, I think with the upgrades it's now firing pretty well  for a Hudson.

One other thing and something I never knew until recently the greasegun safety catch. I never knew it actually had one but I saw a review on youtube and the safety is on the top cover (red ringed in the pic) when the cover is open safety off when closed it fits in the finger recess and locks the bolt, simple.

https://youtu.be/k4r6ColpRxQ

Hudson steel greasegun Greasg10

Hudson steel greasegun Greasg11

https://youtu.be/k4r6ColpRxQ
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 12:30 pm

You must be chuffed with your steel Grease Gun now  cheers. It's firing really well now. Great to see and hear it running so well. All that hard work and tweaking has paid off.  Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Looking good cheers
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 am

I realllllllly like that one!!!!!!!!!!!! The ROF is so much more realistic than the CAW..........and the fact that it is all metal - that is fantastic! I would LOVE to have that one in my collection!!!

Thanks for posting up yet another video!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 am

ljerr2, i am still amazed i was able to get my hands on this, when i saw it advertised i was sure someone would beat me in making an offer. i have never seen another come up for sale anywhere and i wonder how many of these actually still exist.
Back to top Go down
garandshooter

Number of posts : 6
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2020-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Hey there Claymore, I just picked up one of these steel Hudsons, should have it in hand by the end of the month. Mind if I shoot you a PM with a few questions?
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Wow! lucky find these are very very rare, hope you got it for a good price. by all means send me a pm, i will help where i can.
Back to top Go down
garandshooter

Number of posts : 6
Location / Country : United States
Registration date : 2020-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm

claymore wrote:
Wow! lucky find these are very very rare, hope you got it for a good price. by all means send me a pm, i will help where i can.

Awesome, PM sent!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson steel greasegun   Hudson steel greasegun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson steel greasegun
Page 1 of 1