MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC M4A1

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 3:46 pm

MGC M4A1, This was another good model from MGC and they did a few slightly different variants of it before they went out of business. This is normally a really good firer and it fired ok but as you can see had a few jams and misfires, I can only put it down to the rounds as some never set the cap off and others the piston did not move far enough. The piston seals looked ok but they are old and possibly need replacing and the bolt itself was fine, some parts on the bolt can get burrs  and stop free movement but everything in the M4 was fine and lubed.

https://youtu.be/mkL-64dLJbQ

Cerwyn and MadMike like this post

Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 3:06 am

Really cool model and thanks for the video!!!

Have you thought about trying the Tanio Koba rounds in this model?
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 10:55 am

Totally forgot about the Tanio rounds, i have some so looks like i will have to have a shot with them.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 2:50 pm

Make sure to video it if you do please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 am

Some MGC models like the piston pushed down to the cap. This can stop the 'cushion' effect of the air gap between the cap and piston.

8ace

claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am

Another great video, thanks Claymore!

We don't often see videos of MGC's M4A1 so this one is particularly interesting. I have one but had to have it repaired after it broke the rear lug of the upper receiver, the one which the take down pin pushes through. I have noticed that the bolt carrier rides up noticeably as it passes over the hammer. Both the Tanio Koba M4A1 and Marushin's M16 / XM177 are silky smooth in comparison. Looking at it, the MGC model's hammer sits higher in the lower receiver than the others so it pushes the bolt carrier upwards as it passes over it. Little wonder the rear lug broke as it takes all the strain while the bolt carrier moves.
Have you experienced anything like this with yours? The rear lug breaking was a common problem as I recall. 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 pm

8ace wrote:
Some MGC models like the piston pushed down to the cap. This can stop the 'cushion' effect of the air gap between the cap and piston.

8ace

There is such a delicate balance between this relationship. A fine line between not firing, firing just right, or running on.

If I remember correctly, the later model MGC M4s came with a different cap loading tool to push the piston deeper in the cartridge like 8ace said. I think I also remember a buffer spring spacer or something like that was also included for potential tuning.

I always liked the realism of the MGC M4, but I eventually sold all of mine and have since replaced them with the Tanio Koba M4. I miss the MGC M4s, though. There was one posted for sale on ebay a while back here in the US (might even be one I sold previously?) with a bunch of spares, too. I almost bought it for nostalgia. Smile

As far as breakages, I never really had any breakage issues that I remember with the MGC M4s I owned and fired - and I had a number of them. Wear was an issue, though - parts like the ejector and ejector bar would wear fairly quickly. The older M725s and ABS M4s I had exhibited better firing performance than the later HW M4s. The HW Black M4s looked and felt a lot better but I just couldn't get them to fire as consistently and reliably as I'd like. It seemed like I was always testing and tuning. I could get to a point where one might run pretty well and then it wouldn't. There are so many variables in this model to take into account.

Keep the videos coming!

Cerwyn and Browning like this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Never noticed the problem you describe Cerwyn, but i will take a look. I have the buffer and spring and have never put it on, i think i will have to dig it out and give it a go. I think the bolt needs taking apart and smoothing up a bit and given a good clean, there are bits that burr up and the way the bolt head moves forward by the firing pin can get stiff, though mine seems fine. problem is there are small ball bearings and springs in it and i have lost them so easily when i have taken the bolt apart before that i hate doing it unless absolutely necessary.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Thank you very much for this great video!

Those were the days in the mid 2000s when we could get one for 360 USD in Japan or HK.

Even a Japanese Youtube watcher writes that he can no longer get this model in Japan ... Time is rushing so fast.

ljerr is right:
If I remember correctly, the later model MGC M4s came with a different cap loading tool to push the piston deeper in the cartridge like 8ace said. I think I also remember a buffer spring spacer or something like that was also included for potential tuning.

Last edited by MadMike on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Back in the days recoil spring spacer (just a short plastic tube) and the loading tool that came with the late R.I.S. version could be bought seperately from MGC. If I remember Francky or Shazhib were selling them ...

MGC M4A1 NaXOa5C

MGC M4A1 E4RabEi

Browning likes this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 pm

Excellent thanks for that madmike. i do have that buffer and loading tool, why i have never used them i dont know. I am glad you have put this up as i could not remember where the buffer went, i will have to dig them out.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 4:04 pm

No need to thank me, mate. I really enjoyed your video. Time is rushing so fast. It feels like yesterday when the MGC M4A1 was available in the mid 2000s ... I really miss MGC.

It would be interesting to hear if using the spacer on the buffer and recoil spring assy and the loading tool does make any difference.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 5:49 pm

I personally had experience with the MGC M4 and those extra "tuning" parts that were included with the later models.

I never tried the buffer spring spacer as it seemed that the bolt would go into battery just fine if the magazine lips were adjusted properly.

I did use the cartridge piston depth tool to some degree of success if I remember correctly. Might have had a double tap here or there, but improved firing performance otherwise.

I'm really curious if the TK carts will have a good effect on performance.

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MGC M4A1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MGC M4A1   MGC M4A1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC M4A1
Page 1 of 1