MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spandau news from Spain

Go down 
+2
claymore
c_alexandersen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Spandau news from Spain Empty
PostSubject: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2021 2:04 pm

This is a short review of the new Denix MG34

1. Intro
Germany adopted the Machinengewehr 08 in 1908. The Gun was in reality a 7,92x57 version of the 1884 Maxim design. In Germany it was named the MG 08. Among Germany’s enemies the MG08 got the nickname Spandau, from the arsenal issuing these guns. A name that should prove to stick to many machineguns following the MG08.

The MG 08 was a heavy watercooled machinegun, soon the need for a lighter and more universal purpose machinegun arose. The Dreyse watercooled Machinegun went through several changes, among the important it was converted to air cooling and went into service as the MG 13. The MG 13 was introduced into service in 1930 but was to be superseded by the new designed multipurpose, multi role MG 34.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34110

The versatile, recoil operated, air cooled MG 34 was also chambered for the full power 7.92×57mm Mauser rifle cartridge and was arguably the most advanced and versatile machine gun in the world at the time of its deployment. The MG 34 was envisaged and well developed to provide portable light and medium machine gun infantry cover, anti-aircraft coverage, and even sniping ability. Its combination of exceptional mobility – being light enough to be carried by one man – and its high rate of fire (of up to 900 rounds per minute) was unmatched. It entered service in great numbers from 1939.
The MG34 was originally designed to feed from the MG 15 inspired 75-round Patronentrommel 34 saddle-drum magazines. In 1937 the feed was redesigned to use reusable non-disintegrating Gurt 33 and Gurt 34 metal belts and a 50-round Gurttrommel 34 (belt drum). The Gurttrommel was designed to be clipped to the left side of the gun and was not a true magazine but held a curled 50-round belt and corresponding starter-segment preventing it from snagging, twisting and getting stuck during mobile assaults. The capability to use the previous 75-round Patronentrommel 34 saddle-drum magazines All 75-round Patronentrommel 34 fed MG 34s had been withdrawn from infantry use by 1941, with some remaining in use on armoured personnel carriers.
The MG34 was an advanced design demanding both strategic steel alloys and occupying a high number of manufacturing hours. It was therefore evident a replacement was need to lower cost and save resources. App 0,5kg lighter but also 20% cheaper the iconic MG 42 was introduced mid war.
Both the MG 34 and MG 42 were erroneously nicknamed "Spandau" by Allied troops, a carryover from the World War I nickname for the MG 08, which was in fact produced at the Spandau Arsenal

2. Box and Content
Since Denix announced the plan to release an MG34 it has been a long – a very long wait. Now has it been worth the wait?
Hmm this is the look of the box

Spandau news from Spain Pic34210

Conventional brown cardboard box with a Denix logo
It is a very basic box and there is no Styrofoam or stiffeners inside Denix have tried placing soft plastic cups over sharp points like the charging handle – I will consider it a fine place to store your MG34 but not a sturdy transport protection.

but ok I did not buy it for the box – what inside?

Spandau news from Spain Pic34211

The long awaited MG34 and a Denix leaflet showing their full program. That’s it

3. Look
It’s a more than a meter long painted metallic black with a stock made of nice brown wood. The paint gives a metallic shine that, I feel, places color somewhere between black and blueing without really being any clearly most one.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34310

This model is made from Whitemetal / ZAMAK and it seems most parts moulded so moderrately rounded corners and in a few visible places mouldlines or ejector marks. Marks are not spoiling the appearance but for the sharp eye they are there.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34311

4. Markings
Not much. A serialnumber on the receiver top cover, appropriate markings on trigger, safety and sights.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34410

Spandau news from Spain Pic34411

A little funny Denis have gone a long way the simulate the appearance of the belt moving mechanism on the inside of the not opening top cover. But if you take off the cover its clearly there.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34412

5. Technical data
As it can be seen in the overview below there is significant difference between the forefather (MG08) that was given the name Spandau gun and the more modern ancestors.
Spandau news from Spain Pic34510
The MG13 was effectively a multirole machinegun but the MG34 is the gun that truly gained the credit for being the worlds first Universal purpose Machinegun or in German Einheitsmaschinengewehr

“the last Spandau” or direct derivates of it is now, 80 years later, no longer in production but still in service around the world. The technical solutions developed in 1930-40 still survive and live in some of the modern machineguns.

Even “a long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away” some of the Imperial Stormtroopers carry a DLT-19 Heavy Blaster with a very strong resemblance to the MG34.

6. Stripping & Service

OK the model is a typical Denix there is no real gun functions.
You can pull the charging handle and by pressing the trigger it will respond with a click.
Sights can be slipped up and down and the bipod folded in and out.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34610

Basics for a reenactor or a display model. Right no modelgun instructions, but OK the only functions are charging handle pull to enable a click when the trigger is pulled and folding / unfolding of the bipod – I guess this is self explanatory.

The advanced inline barrel replacement cannot be performed nor can the topcover be opened

7. Magazine and Loading

There is no magazine nor ammunition belt
Should you have a dummy ammunition belt it can be inserted by punching out the bolt in the front top cover hinge and placing the belt in the feed way. Operating charging handle or trigger will not move the belt.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34710

The MG34 is often seen with a 50 round drum on the left side.

Spandau news from Spain Pic34711

The model have the metal faces used to mount a drum but a “real steel” drum cannot be mounted in the feed tray

Spandau news from Spain Pic34511

The bipod can be folded in and out but cannot be adjusted in with/height

Spandau news from Spain Pic34712

8. Cartridges and Firing
The model doesn’t come with dummy cartridges, there is no opening to chamber such and no mechanism to move cartridges so All you get is a click if you have pulled the charging handle.

By the way, the safety lever is moulded in the main house and does not move. SO THE MODEL DOSNT HAVE A SAFETY FUNCTION but then again there is no risk in that :-)

Denix do offer dummy rounds (7,92x57) in their program suitable for this model

9. Conclusion

As this model was announced in late 2020 I was hoping Santa could deliver by Christmas 2020 but Denix have been delayed and the demand proven very hectic. Many shops are still not stocking the model now late June. – but its in production and starting to hit the shops.

The quality is not Shoei but certainly match the price and will do for many reenactors

A lot can be said but ill let the pictures do the talking

Spandau news from Spain Pic34910

Spandau news from Spain Pic34911

Spandau news from Spain Pic34912

For the Sci-fy enthusiast wih skills to add the few Star Wars pieces this is a fine opportunity to get a good weight realistic looking DLT-19 blaster

Spandau news from Spain Pic34913
But then where do you find the Wookie lol!

I go for the MG34 straight - buy a sling and a belt of dummy cartridges and you are good to go

Spandau news from Spain Pic34914

I only have one problem with my new Denix MG34 – my Transport kiste is already occupied geek

Cerwyn, MadMike, jim, claymore, Pydracor, SunHill999, abookirn and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2021 11:54 am

Excellent review and i have to say looking at the pics for a denix it looks very good. i would think WW2 reenactors would be very interested in this model as since that insane decision by the EU to turn deacts into a block of useless metal, this would make a far better and cheaper option.

c_alexandersen, SunHill999 and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
Sommarkatze
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
Sommarkatze

Number of posts : 168
Location / Country : Sweden.
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2021 2:44 pm

Great Review! Might be something if the price is right Smile

Browning and SunHill999 like this post

Back to top Go down
abookirn

Number of posts : 1
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2017-05-20

PostSubject: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 4:44 pm

Thanks fro the very nice write up and photos!
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 1:58 pm

claymore wrote:
Excellent review and i have to say looking at the pics for a denix it looks very good. i would think WW2 reenactors would be very interested in this model as since that insane decision by the EU to turn deacts into a block of useless metal, this would make a far better and cheaper option.

Thanks Claymore.
I fully agree, Denix have a strong card to play in legal compliance and price
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Sommarkatze wrote:
Great Review! Might be something if the price is right Smile

At 370€ for a metal model of a full-size Machinegun I will claim it’s not expensive
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 2:04 pm

abookirn wrote:
Thanks fro the very nice write up and photos!

Thanks I am happy you like it.

I would like to improve my skills on sizing images in posts when using serving

If someone can give some hints I would appriciate it very much
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 150
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2019-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 4:16 pm

On image sizing, when you upload images, change ‘1024 px width’ to 320, 640, or 800, as per my (phone) image below. A smaller number is a smaller (less wide) image. The image below is 320 px (pixels) wide.

Spandau news from Spain 07b5a110
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Thank you very much for this great review.

I am not yet sure if I like the Denix MG34 or not. I just can't make up my mind. There are a lot of pros, but some cons too. I guess if you have handled and enjoyed any of SHOEI's modelguns in the past a DENIX just won't look and feel good enough, but that is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 7:05 am

oozlum wrote:
On image sizing, when you upload images, change ‘1024 px width’ to 320, 640, or 800, as per my (phone) image below. A smaller number is a smaller (less wide) image. The image below is 320 px (pixels) wide.

Spandau news from Spain 07b5a110

Thanks oozlum - Many Thanks
As often it seems almost obvious when you are told
This has been annoying me since I changed to servimg so this is one to be tested in next post bounce

oozlum likes this post

Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 am

MadMike wrote:
Thank you very much for this great review.

I am not yet sure if I like the Denix MG34 or not. I just can't make up my mind. There are a lot of pros, but some cons too. I guess if you have handled and enjoyed any of SHOEI's modelguns in the past a DENIX just won't look and feel good enough, but that is just my opinion.

Madmike - you are spot on
It is a metal model of the iconic MG34
Not really that much function
Fair (good) weight and metal feel
BUT its less than half price of Shoei (or the MG42 I have from G&G)
And it’s available
In my opinion it’s worth the price tag but I do also, unconditionally love, my Shoei model

MadMike and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 150
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2019-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 am

c_alexandersen wrote:

Thanks oozlum - Many Thanks
As often it seems almost obvious when you are told
This has been annoying me since I changed to servimg so this is one to be tested in next post bounce

My pleasure c_alexandersen. It isn’t very intuitive - I decided to find out when I posted an image and it was huge!

To get back to the thread, it’s a great review. I don’t buy denix but something like this would definitely have a good cost:value ratio 🙂
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spandau news from Spain   Spandau news from Spain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spandau news from Spain
Page 1 of 1