MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

STG44 build

Go down 
+4
lcpltac
capuetz
lampwick
Punisher
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
capuetz

Number of posts : 49
Location / Country : Tehachapi, CA, USA
Registration date : 2016-09-10

STG44 build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: STG44 Build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 8:55 pm

Great work on the stock! I like the "Tiger Stripe" look on the wood which is similar to a GEW98 stock that I am refinishing now with Danish oil. Question what process did you use to blue the metal? It does look much better then painting.
Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 111
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2017-07-28

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2022 12:24 am

While the stock looks good it's not exactly correct. It's shaped correctly, but is the wrong type of wood. Mine is made of maple while it should be walnut.

When I received the stock I was a bit disappointed to see the tiger stripes. While it looks nice it's not correct. I haven't seen any German WW2 stocks with tiger stripes. While there might be some the switch to laminated stocks for rifles and smaller chunks of wood used for other firearms greatly reduced it's occurrence.

Since the stock I'm using was the only option for a correctly shaped stg44 stock I'm going to have to live with it. Since I'm going for a late war look it could be possible that any hardwood might be used.

I'm using Birchwood Casey super blue. It will blue zinc parts, but it's not exactly the same shade as steel parts that are blued with it. Zinc parts have a grayer shade than true blued parts. It is still close enough to blend in and looks much better than black paint.

Browning and capuetz like this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2022 10:20 am

Excellent work, i am very impressed
Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2022 11:40 pm

I got the grips refinished and all the pieces of the grip frame blued. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_p_34

Cerwyn, capuetz and Filsolo like this post

Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2022 11:56 pm

I also got the stock complete.

The screws for the cap are supposed to be 6mm. I used 1-1/4" long #14 screws. The top one is supposed to be a button head and the bottom an oval head. I searched, but couldn't find any with slotted heads.

For the top I used a pan head. After the galvanizing was stripped I filled in the phillips head with weld. While spinning it in a lathe I used a file to reshape the head. A fine tooth sawzall blade was used to cut the slot. I did the same for the bottom screw, but started with an oval head.

The holes in the cap needed to be enlarged. The bottom hole was also slightly countersunk. The pilot holes in the stock were enlarged. With wax on the threads the screws were installed.STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_p_40
STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_p_38
STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_p_39

capuetz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 12:39 am

The mkb42 looks much better with the reproduction stock.STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_1p16
STG44 build - Page 2 Rsz_1p17

Cerwyn, Browning, capuetz and Filsolo like this post

Back to top Go down
Filsolo

Number of posts : 2
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2022-01-14

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 2:59 pm

Good job... I never expected that I'd ever want anything denix but you've shown me that it can be a decent replica.... With a few okay a lot of changes...

Browning, capuetz and mgoob like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STG44 build   STG44 build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STG44 build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2